OAT PREP COURSE. HELP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carolinev

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot find anything in my surrounding area for an OAT prep course that's live in a classroom. I've looked at Kaplan, which is the closest I could find but it doesn't look like it will be rigorous enough at all.
Can someone honestly tell me if the Kaplan course was helpful for them?
The class only meets once a week, which seems ridiculous to me!!

I was looking into MCAT prep courses, which are much more rigorous than the OAT courses. Only thing is, there's so much extra on the MCAT and the MCAT doesn't have Quant.

UGghhhhhhh

I need major advice! I cannot muster up the motivation to study on my own - I'm way too distracted. This is not good. All tips and tricks are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the Kaplan course in classroom and found it to be extremely helpful. They give you a lot of study material for outside of the classroom, so it depends on how much you put into it. I got a 360 on my OAT, and was getting 300-310 on practice tests before Kaplan. It's a lot of money, but I believe that my OAT score was the difference between me getting accepted and not since my GPA was weak. What I found most helpful about Kaplan was that there are mini-practice tests for individual sections, but also full length practice tests that not only help you gauge your progress but also help you build endurance for the big test day. Anyway, in short, I think that the Kaplan course really helped me and don't regret or feel like it was a waste of time or money.

I took Kaplan and I hated it. Waste of my time!I just purchased Chad's Videos and have been using him to study. I do have the Kaplan blue book which has practice questions which is nice, I take my OAT June 25th and have learned more from Chad in like a month then I had with 3 months of Kaplan. It really depends on how much you put into it. The kaplan classes gave some "tricks" but I thought they were pretty obvious tricks for test taking but they didnt really teach much on content and they just read straight from the book. I would look into Chad's and do a full lecture a day.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can agree with NAUeyes. My test is July 3 and I've been watching Chad's videos since middle of May (been watching a lot of videos since) and I just got through them all. Very helpful and he has great quizzes with nice solutions and explanations.

I took Kaplan and I hated it. Waste of my time!I just purchased Chad's Videos and have been using him to study. I do have the Kaplan blue book which has practice questions which is nice, I take my OAT June 25th and have learned more from Chad in like a month then I had with 3 months of Kaplan. It really depends on how much you put into it. The kaplan classes gave some "tricks" but I thought they were pretty obvious tricks for test taking but they didnt really teach much on content and they just read straight from the book. I would look into Chad's and do a full lecture a day.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I don't need tricks - I need a review of all the content, so Kaplan seems like a waste. My problem is focussing and finding the motivation to get through studying. What are you doing to stay motivated? How are you staying focussed? I know it seems like a silly question but I'm so overwhelmed. I have been using Chad's videos though!! But I haven't been using anything else to supplement. My weakest subjects are Quantitative Reasoning and Physics. What have you been doing for those?? Also, I'm taking the test around the same time as you. Keep me updated. :)

I can agree with NAUeyes. My test is July 3 and I've been watching Chad's videos since middle of May (been watching a lot of videos since) and I just got through them all. Very helpful and he has great quizzes with nice solutions and explanations.

Thank you! Seems like Chad's the way to go. Are you using anything else to study? Do you think his videos are enough for QR and Physics??

I am just really buckling down and I made a study schedule and I am sticking to it. I am doing one of the core subjects each week until the exam, last week was ochem, this week physics and next week genchem. Its nice this way because I can really get good at stuff and then I just need to review it daily real quick to keep it fresh. Physics has been a real pain, I am just pushing through and hoping the OAT will be more simplified. As for quant, I have done nothing, I am just now look at Chads for a recap and hoping that will be enough.

MCAT stuff is definitely OVERKILL for OAT prep. The whole testing format is different so I wouldn't spend your money on that prep class

I would highly recommend just making a decision on one OAT review guide and running with it. Kaplan blue book is a good overview of all the subjects that the OAT will cover. It doesn't do the BEST job explaining everything, but it does do a good job of briefly covering all of the topics you'll need to know. I just used that as my guide and whenever I hit a subject I can't remember as well/did not understand what the hell Kaplan meant to say/felt Kaplan left out too much info, I'd just refer to Khan Academy youtube videos (super helpful & free).

That being said, the review is only the first step. The most valuable OAT prep is PRACTICE PROBLEMS. Passively absorbing information is SO not the same as actively doing practice problems. OAT destroyer may be overkill but if you could get your hands on one, all of those practice problems will get your brain into test taking mode.

MCAT stuff is definitely OVERKILL for OAT prep. The whole testing format is different so I wouldn't spend your money on that prep class

I would highly recommend just making a decision on one OAT review guide and running with it. Kaplan blue book is a good overview of all the subjects that the OAT will cover. It doesn't do the BEST job explaining everything, but it does do a good job of briefly covering all of the topics you'll need to know. I just used that as my guide and whenever I hit a subject I can't remember as well/did not understand what the hell Kaplan meant to say/felt Kaplan left out too much info, I'd just refer to Khan Academy youtube videos (super helpful & free).

That being said, the review is only the first step. The most valuable OAT prep is PRACTICE PROBLEMS. Passively absorbing information is SO not the same as actively doing practice problems. OAT destroyer may be overkill but if you could get your hands on one, all of those practice problems will get your brain into test taking mode.

Hey, I appreciate your reply! I've decided against that prep course for sure - it's called Altius. The good news is, they're actually looking into developing an optometry course now because of ME. Haha. But that's not really good news for us...

Anyway. Did you use Chad's videos at all? That's what I've been doing, but I have yet to practice. I was thinking about doing all practice tests during the last month of studying.

What specifically did you use for Physics?

Anyway. Did you use Chad's videos at all? That's what I've been doing, but I have yet to practice. I was thinking about doing all practice tests during the last month of studying.

You should practice while watching chad's videos! (use his quizzes) and then after you're done all that do all the practice tests for like 2-3 weeks

Hey, I appreciate your reply! I've decided against that prep course for sure - it's called Altius. The good news is, they're actually looking into developing an optometry course now because of ME. Haha. But that's not really good news for us...

I totally agree with this. MCAT stuff is overkill.. I used the Big Barrons MCAT book and OAT Kaplan material the first time around and didn't do so great on my first OAT. This time I've been using OAT Achiever practice tests to get over the test anxiety and get comfortable with the exam and the OAT Destroyer questions to get used to practice problems. As for Physics, that's my huge problem area too. I've honestly been getting help from an engineering graduate student and re-doing the OAT destroyer questions over and over again. Hopefully it will make a difference!