OAT Resources

Commando303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to prepare myself to apply to optometry school, and must study for the OAT. I've obtained a copy of Kaplan OAT, and gone through a bit of it, but don't find it particularly good: There are a couple of exams and a few pages of "what you need to know" information, but there's simply not a great deal of explanation of the answers.

Is this about my only resource? It's close to all I've seen, and it's shameful in comparison with Kaplan's study-book for the MCAT. I know the company offers a prep. course for the test, as well, but the cost is about $1400.00, which is maybe $1300.00 more than I can afford...

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

*I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in "pre-optometry," so I did so on both. I apologize if that was the wrong decision.

Members don't see this ad.

i took the kaplan course, because i was taking a full load of classes that semester and didn't really had time to study on my own. overall i got a very successful result.

if you already have the kaplan course book, then you should be fine. just study everything in there.

I also know that a lot of people bought the Kaplan MCAT study guide where you can get at a Barnes and Noble or BooksaMillion. Though there might be a couple of topics that are not in there.

hope this helps. and good luck:thumbup:

Thank you. I've gotten a copy of Kaplan's prep.-book for the MCAT, but there's a lot in there that isn't in their guide for the OAT. It might still be helpful, though. Thanks again.

I used Kaplan's OAT and MCAT books to study, worked fine for me. Check out half.com or the SDN buy/sell forum though. You can get the books much cheaper.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've studied from the OAT course from Kaplan.
I ONLY used that material and i ended up doing pretty well for OAT.
If you are interested message me, because I am selling my material.
Good luck with OAT!

GET THE OAT DESTROYER!! It was soooo helpful. It is all practice problems and solutions. Even if you can only get the DAT destroyer cheap 2nd hand, it is helpful and the same thing basically, but it does not have physics. My bf took the DAT and I used his destroyer and Kaplan OAT and did well. Good luck!:luck:

I'm trying to prepare myself to apply to optometry school, and must study for the OAT. I've obtained a copy of Kaplan OAT, and gone through a bit of it, but don't find it particularly good: There are a couple of exams and a few pages of "what you need to know" information, but there's simply not a great deal of explanation of the answers.

Is this about my only resource? It's close to all I've seen, and it's shameful in comparison with Kaplan's study-book for the MCAT. I know the company offers a prep. course for the test, as well, but the cost is about $1400.00, which is maybe $1300.00 more than I can afford...

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

*I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in "pre-optometry," so I did so on both. I apologize if that was the wrong decision.

Here is what I would recommend:

1.) The Kaplan OAT book (big book) or a recent DAT book will be very good (DAT and OAT have the same questions) place to start.

2.) If you want more in-depth bio and o-chem I suggest the following books: CliffsAP Biology . It is more detailed than the Kaplan material and might be overkill. For O-chem try: Organic Chemistry I As A Second Language . I scored a 380 on the O-Chem just using this book and OAT Destroyer. I didn't even bother going over the Kaplan O-chem. You don't need to get the second book of this series either, I think the first book should be more than enough along with the OAT Destroyer.

3.) Probably the best in terms of challenging you: OAT Destroyer. It's expensive but worth it! If I had to say get one book from all the books I've listed, this is the one!

4.) The OAT Kaplan practice exam. This book is just practice exams and nothing more. It's a good idea to take these because they simulate taking a full-length OAT exam. If you score low, don't worry they are pretty challenging. Physics is much more challenging than the real OAT.

5.) Opted.org free practice exam. Under Step 4.

My strategy is to first go over the Kaplan OAT or DAT book. Have a pretty good grasp of the information. Then go over the OAT Destroyer. Make sure you understand why the wrong answers are wrong! Then close to your exam date, take the practice exams (Kaplan then the Opted.org). When taking the practice exams, try to do emulate doing the exam at the same time you will be doing the real exam. For example, your exam is at 9:00 am. Take the practice exams at 9:00 am during the week(s) prior to your exam. Doing this will help to condition you for the real exam. Go over all the problems and try to understand all the questions and answers, even the wrong ones. The last couple days, don't cram, just relax and you will do great!

Last edited:
:thumbup: Sticky worthy

Here is what I would recommend:

1.) The Kaplan OAT book (big book) or a recent DAT book will be very good (DAT and OAT have the same questions) place to start.

2.) If you want more in-depth bio and o-chem I suggest the following books: CliffsAP Biology . It is more detailed than the Kaplan material and might be overkill. For O-chem try: Organic Chemistry I As A Second Language . I scored a 380 on the O-Chem just using this book and OAT Destroyer. I didn't even bother going over the Kaplan O-chem. You don't need to get the second book of this series either, I think the first book should be more than enough along with the OAT Destroyer.

3.) Probably the best in terms of challenging you: OAT Destroyer. It's expensive but worth it! If I had to say get one book from all the books I've listed, this is the one!

4.) The OAT Kaplan practice exam. This book is just practice exams and nothing more. It's a good idea to take these because they simulate taking a full-length OAT exam. If you score low, don't worry they are pretty challenging. Physics is much more challenging than the real OAT.

5.) Opted.org free practice exam. Under Step 4.

My strategy is to first go over the Kaplan OAT or DAT book. Have a pretty good grasp of the information. Then go over the OAT Destroyer. Make sure you understand why the wrong questions are wrong! Then close to your exam date, take the practice exams (Kaplan, Opted.org). Go over all the problems and try to understand all the questions. The last couple days, don't cram, just relax and you will do great!

What books are the good sources for reviewing physics? For someone who took the OAT already, how did they ask qeustions on physics section? Does they ask more about understanding or calculation? Please drop me some hints.

Thank you.

Hippy,
I'm sure this question has been answered already, so if you search in this forum you should be able to find some good resources. The OAT Physics will be mostly conceptual with simple calculations, which means that you should be able to understand why you use a certain equation rather than just memorize it. Personally, I would recommend using the MCAT Physics Book by Biehle, which contains plenty of conceptual problems with simple calculations and answers. Good luck.

What books are the good sources for reviewing physics? For someone who took the OAT already, how did they ask qeustions on physics section? Does they ask more about understanding or calculation? Please drop me some hints.

Thank you.

If you do the practice exam from opted.org, you will find that the real OAT is very similar to that in terms of question difficulty.

Use:

ExamKrackers for Physics
Prior Class notes
MCAT Kaplan Book or DAT Kaplan Book
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!

Hippy,
I'm sure this question has been answered already, so if you search in this forum you should be able to find some good resources. The OAT Physics will be mostly conceptual with simple calculations, which means that you should be able to understand why you use a certain equation rather than just memorize it. Personally, I would recommend using the MCAT Physics Book by Biehle, which contains plenty of conceptual problems with simple calculations and answers. Good luck.

I second the recommendation from Absolute Vision :)hello:). The MCAT Physics Book by Biehle, will be an excellent preparation tool for the OAT physics. Absolute Vision advised me to get the book back in September, and I am so glad I did, thanks!

After finishing each chapter/topics, you WILL know the formulas like second nature, trust me. This book made physics very unintimidating and pretty...easy!

The questions are designed for you to specifically use certain formulas and test your understanding of simple concepts. This is exactly like how the physics section is like on the OAT. Remember, you only need to master simple concepts as well as common formulas for the OAT- and this book will help you achieve just that.

Instead of buying the book, I bought the ebook ($15), here is the link: http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin/item/1889057436/The-MCAT-Physics-Book-eBook.html

If you want more practice, buy the OAT Achiever, well worth the money.

Good luck!

Thanks, AFH09.

Thanks very much for the information and suggestions, Thanotoriousfob. Is what you've called the "Kaplan OAT Book (big book)" different from the "OAT Kaplan Practice Exam"? I have a blue-cover book called "Kaplan OAT" (not very large); it is the same as in your link (to Amazon.com) for "OAT Kaplan Practice Exam." What's the "big book," then? Where can one purchase it? Thanks again.