Oat score from Kaplan

Jan123

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I am taking my OAT July 30th, and I am regiestered for the Kaplan in person course that finish a couple of weeks back. So I am just taking the practices test that Kaplan’s offers, but my scores are very low. They are around 290-300, and I am really struggling in physics and the QR (because of timing). I’ve been reading a lot about how Kaplan tend to grade lower is that true? Will my test score be higher on the real OATs? I’m scared

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, so I am taking my OAT July 30th, and I am regiestered for the Kaplan in person course that finish a couple of weeks back. So I am just taking the practices test that Kaplan’s offers, but my scores are very low. They are around 290-300, and I am really struggling in physics and the QR (because of timing). I’ve been reading a lot about how Kaplan tend to grade lower is that true? Will my test score be higher on the real OATs? I’m scared
I have yet to take the OAT myself, but I am on the same boat as you. From what everyone says about the Kaplan practice tests are that they are more difficult in terms the way they structure the questions, but it all helps with over preparing you for the actual OAT. Most people usually take the ADA practice OAT test that's on the website and say that your score on that practice test will most likely be similar to how you will score on the actual OAT. I attached the practice exam for you, if you wanted to take a look at it.

Attachments

• 6773479-Oat-Sample-Test-Rev.pdf
    512.5 KB · Views: 331
Reactions: 1 user
I have yet to take the OAT myself, but I am on the same boat as you. From what everyone says about the Kaplan practice tests are that they are more difficult in terms the way they structure the questions, but it all helps with over preparing you for the actual OAT. Most people usually take the ADA practice OAT test that's on the website and say that your score on that practice test will most likely be similar to how you will score on the actual OAT. I attached the practice exam for you, if you wanted to take a look at it.
Hey thanks! I appreciate it. I was looking at the ADA exam, but it’s from 2006 has the questions or the exam changed since then?

Hey thanks! I appreciate it. I was looking at the ADA exam, but it’s from 2006 has the questions or the exam changed since then?
No problem! Well I mean you can use the ADA to get an idea of how the OAT structures their questions not necessarily that is exactly what you are going to see on the exam. The Kaplan course I'm in right now stated that for the QR section of the OAT they added a new question time, which deals with quantitative comparisons. If you go on ADA's website, look at the OAT 2018 guide, it'll tell you what topics each section of the exam is going to cover.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to calm you TOO much, but my Kaplan test scores were around 290s-320s and I was worrying myself. On test day, I ended up getting AA/TS 390. The Physics portion is incredibly easier on the OAT, but the QR is still a little tricky, at least imo.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't want to calm you TOO much, but my Kaplan test scores were around 290s-320s and I was worrying myself. On test day, I ended up getting AA/TS 390. The Physics portion is incredibly easier on the OAT, but the QR is still a little tricky, at least imo.

Oh, that helps a little. Thanks! I took the practice ADA test and I scored around 350-380 on each section. I hoping my score on the actual OAT will range around Kaplan’s and Ada

Reactions: 1 users
I'm taking mine the same day! I have Kaplan books and the exams included, and I'm scoring around 320/310 area. How is it comparing it to the in person class? Am I really missing anything?

I'm taking mine the same day! I have Kaplan books and the exams included, and I'm scoring around 320/310 area. How is it comparing it to the in person class? Am I really missing anything?

It’s just like you get to ask the teachers questions and have them go over the materials with you. It’s the same as reading the book.

wow! thats great! did you take the kaplan tests right before taking the oat? Thanks!! congrats on the scores!

The Kaplan Practice Tests are (from my experience) pretty difficult compared to the actual OAT. I scored a 300 twice on the Kaplan tests and then a 320 twice as well. Ended up getting a 370 TS and 360 AA when I took the OAT just a few days ago. As for the sections themselves, I'd say Biology was pretty similar to Kaplan but I still scored significant higher on the OAT. I guess that might be because Kaplan scores a significantly harsher. Gen Chem and Physics were so much easier on the actual OAT than Kaplan. I never scored above a 300 for physics on Kaplan but ended up getting a 350 on the OAT. My advice to you if you are struggling with physics is to look over the ADA practice test and if those physics questions are doable for you, then you should be fine. Organic Chem and Reading Comp were also similar to Kaplan, but again, I scored higher and this probably has to do with the way that Kaplan grades. Overall, don't stress too much if you aren't doing the best on Kaplan tests. They do that on purpose so you will feel more prepared for the actual test. Good luck!

The Kaplan Practice Tests are (from my experience) pretty difficult compared to the actual OAT. I scored a 300 twice on the Kaplan tests and then a 320 twice as well. Ended up getting a 370 TS and 360 AA when I took the OAT just a few days ago. As for the sections themselves, I'd say Biology was pretty similar to Kaplan but I still scored significant higher on the OAT. I guess that might be because Kaplan scores a significantly harsher. Gen Chem and Physics were so much easier on the actual OAT than Kaplan. I never scored above a 300 for physics on Kaplan but ended up getting a 350 on the OAT. My advice to you if you are struggling with physics is to look over the ADA practice test and if those physics questions are doable for you, then you should be fine. Organic Chem and Reading Comp were also similar to Kaplan, but again, I scored higher and this probably has to do with the way that Kaplan grades. Overall, don't stress too much if you aren't doing the best on Kaplan tests. They do that on purpose so you will feel more prepared for the actual test. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice!!! Did you take the kaplan test right before you took the OAT? Do you have any advice on the quantitative reasoning portion?? Also what did you use to study physics? Thank you so much!

The Kaplan’s test are so discouraging. I just took another one and end up with a 280 I don’t even know how. But I felt that test was harder than the rest. My test is one week away and I’m not getting anything else higher than a 300 expect on the ada I got a 370.

The Kaplan’s test are so discouraging. I just took another one and end up with a 280 I don’t even know how. But I felt that test was harder than the rest. My test is one week away and I’m not getting anything else higher than a 300 expect on the ada I got a 370.
I feel you. I'm honestly thinking about moving the date, but idk... I took a Kaplan test and, in the physics portion, had to do arcsin of a weird fraction mentally....

I feel you. I'm honestly thinking about moving the date, but idk... I took a Kaplan test and, in the physics portion, had to do arcsin of a weird fraction mentally....

I would like to move my date too, but idk. It’s just the Kaplan’s score makes you feel like your not ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
How have you been doing on them?
The last exam I took, I had a glitch with Kaplan that ended the science section 10min early and the physics section 5min early, so I was too furious to focus on math. But there's a free exam event later today that I'm doing, so I'll message you on those scores.
Bio: 320 (couldn't review bc of glitch--- but good score)
Chem: 240 (couldn't review bc of glitch)
Orgo: 270 (ditto)
Physics: 260 (ditto)
RC: 330
Math: 270
(I forgot TS and AA score lol)

The last exam I took, I had a glitch with Kaplan that ended the science section 10min early and the physics section 5min early, so I was too furious to focus on math. But there's a free exam event later today that I'm doing, so I'll message you on those scores.
Bio: 320 (couldn't review bc of glitch--- but good score)
Chem: 240 (couldn't review bc of glitch)
Orgo: 270 (ditto)
Physics: 260 (ditto)
RC: 330
Math: 270
(I forgot TS and AA score lol)

I feel you, my scores changes from test to test. I am going to take a test tomorrow, and see how I do yesterday I did so bad.

I feel you, my scores changes from test to test. I am going to take a test tomorrow, and see how I do yesterday I did so bad.
How did you do that exam? The one I took yesterday felt pretty good lol.

Bio: 320
Chem: 320
Orgo: 300
Physics: 310
RC: 250
QR: 370
TS: 310/ AA: 310

I'm still scared because usually RC or physics would be the worst section and optometry schools look at those 2 scores the most. I probably will buy the ADA one.....

I'm still scared because usually RC or physics would be the worst section and optometry schools look at those 2 scores the most. I probably will buy the ADA one.....

I just took a test today.

Bio 310
Chem 250 ( I don’t know what happened)
Orgo 320
Physics 300
Reading 320
RC 300

My scores keep switching around. Like one test one section will be greater than the next test. I will probably buy the online ada too..

Does anyone have any advice on a practice test to take besides the Kaplan tests or the ADA free exam? I took 2 Kaplan exams and scored between 290-320 on the sections, and on the ADA exam I scored 360. Is it worth it to pay for the other ADA exam?

Does anyone have any advice on a practice test to take besides the Kaplan tests or the ADA free exam? I took 2 Kaplan exams and scored between 290-320 on the sections, and on the ADA exam I scored 360. Is it worth it to pay for the other ADA exam?

Ive been taking the Kaplan's test and scoring 290-300s, and the Ada sample test I got a 370, so now I am thinking about paying for the ADA test because the scores range way too much. I believe a lot of people also take the topscore exams I'm not sue if those are free.

I had basically the same thing too, and I'm too paranoid about the gap as well. I officially moved my exam date, so I'm not on the 30th anymore. I'll take it on August 14th, and I can do a lot more with those 2 weeks than I can now.

Thank you so much for your advice!!! Did you take the kaplan test right before you took the OAT? Do you have any advice on the quantitative reasoning portion?? Also what did you use to study physics? Thank you so much!
I took 5 Kaplan exams before the OAT and I took the ADA practice exam 2 days before! For QR, definitely review the little tips and tricks that Kaplan gives (like backsolving, plugging in numbers) because those will definitely save you time. Also, I would try to do some practice with those new quantitative comparison questions because I had quite a few of those on the actual OAT. For physics, I basically reviewed the Kaplan notes but to be honest with you, I think those might have been too detailed. I always did the worst on physics during my practice tests but it was so much easier than what Kaplan makes it out to be. Flashcards definitely helped for physics because they helped me memorize important formulas and conceptual concepts! Again, good luck!!

Reactions: 4 users
I took 5 Kaplan exams before the OAT and I took the ADA practice exam 2 days before! For QR, definitely review the little tips and tricks that Kaplan gives (like backsolving, plugging in numbers) because those will definitely save you time. Also, I would try to do some practice with those new quantitative comparison questions because I had quite a few of those on the actual OAT. For physics, I basically reviewed the Kaplan notes but to be honest with you, I think those might have been too detailed. I always did the worst on physics during my practice tests but it was so much easier than what Kaplan makes it out to be. Flashcards definitely helped for physics because they helped me memorize important formulas and conceptual concepts! Again, good luck!!
What were your oat scores?

I had basically the same thing too, and I'm too paranoid about the gap as well. I officially moved my exam date, so I'm not on the 30th anymore. I'll take it on August 14th, and I can do a lot more with those 2 weeks than I can now.
Hey I took my OAT, it wasn't that bad actually. Nothing like Kaplan in terms of the levels of difficulties. I got TS 350, and AA 330. So don't worry too much.

Reactions: 2 users
im taking mine tomorrow :( how was it compared to the ADA?

It’s very similar to the Ada one. The test questions are not as easy but their about the same. Don’t worry if you can do well on the ada your score will be like 30 points lower. I got a 370 on the ada.

I just took the ADA As well. I feel like the Physics was tricky and the QRT was very difficult. I take the OAT Monday.

I was worry about the physics too but on the test the calculations are very easy and mainly conceptual. For the QRT, the questions aren’t as bad. My advise is to wear a long sleeve shirt and easer with that instead of asking for a new paper. That is what I did on the test and it saved me a lot of time. On Kaplan score, physics I never got above 300 and QRT I never got above a 310 on the real one physics I got 320 and QRT I got a 360. Just take a deep breath before the exam and positive thoughts. Don’t get frustrated when you don’t know something. Skip it and come back to it.

Hey I took my OAT, it wasn't that bad actually. Nothing like Kaplan in terms of the levels of difficulties. I got TS 350, and AA 330. So don't worry too much.
Omg, thank you sooo much! I was actually worried this whole week about your scores. Literally, this is my thoughts as a study "I wonder how Jan123 did...?" lolol. But yeah, thank you so much! And with the extra time I have to study, I can guarantee a good score lol

I was worry about the physics too but on the test the calculations are very easy and mainly conceptual. For the QRT, the questions aren’t as bad. My advise is to wear a long sleeve shirt and easer with that instead of asking for a new paper. That is what I did on the test and it saved me a lot of time. On Kaplan score, physics I never got above 300 and QRT I never got above a 310 on the real one physics I got 320 and QRT I got a 360. Just take a deep breath before the exam and positive thoughts. Don’t get frustrated when you don’t know something. Skip it and come back to it.
Awesome. I can stop crying now lol

Omg, thank you sooo much! I was actually worried this whole week about your scores. Literally, this is my thoughts as a study "I wonder how Jan123 did...?" lolol. But yeah, thank you so much! And with the extra time I have to study, I can guarantee a good score lol

Haha! I had a feeling you were worried so I was like I should really let you know how it went. Don’t worry just be positive throughout the test and you should be fine! I followed someone else’s advice and bring a long sleeve shirt to earse with instead of asking for a new sheet. Try to do it discreetly, because the testing center people did tell me to ask for a new sheet. GOOD LUCK!