OAT Scores!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverandblack

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
About how long does it take for OAT scores to come?? I wrote it on February 7 and I'm LOSING MY MIND!!!!!!!!!+pissed+

Members don't see this ad.

I took the Feb. test last year and received my scores at the end of March, so another 3 weeks or so:(

Members don't see this ad :)
suzQ120,

hay, i noticed your'e gonna be in my class this year at NEWENCO...

I checked out student housing in BOston and most renters begin leasing September 1st....

we will be starting school september 3rd, you know that right?

I really wanted to live in Boston for a couple of weeks before I start school.
are you also having trouble with housing though like i am, either too expensive or too far away?
Tony,
also--- you know June they have an open house when you can go and see what apartments are for rent etc......I wont be able to go to that but i hear its helpful...

silverandblack,

i can totally relate to you....and how you feel,
hang in there im sure you did fine,

i really hope the OAT will get to a point like the DAT where its on computer and you get your scores back the same day....
they're working towards that now I think.....( i hope ) students suffer about a lot of things.., waiting for a score to come in should not be one of them....

Anothertony,

hi

i live about 20 miles south of Boston so I am going to live at home and take the train into school. I would love to live in the city but this way I can save a lot of money on housing, food, and I don't have to worry about finding a parking spot.

I did know about the open house in June, I remember hearing about it at the open house/interview (when where u there?) I am hoping to go on that Friday night to meet people even though I do not need housing. I know housing is hard, especially because the school is located in Back Bay which is a very nice part of town. I think www.boston.com might have some housing information. Also, it might be worth a try looking at BU's website, www.bu.edu, to see if they have any housing info b/c we are close to BU and the Kenmore Sq. area.

Suz

also, I wonder if you were to call any of the places you were interested in renting from, if any will let you do two weeks rent at a pro-rated amount. Probably depends on when the previous tenant moves out. I'm sure some students do stay in their apartments over the summer from all the schools in the area but I wouldn't think that all of them would.

SuzQ,

I've decided to spend about a week with my friend up in Boston (he attends Harvard B.School and his spring break is March 20-27th) Im gonna go out there and check out some apartments, i think it'd be a good time as all the students wont be in school and i'll have some space to move about the city......
you're very luck you get to live at home (you'll be saving moochow $$$$$$$$) and also, even if you HAD a car, you wouldnt be able to park there (no parking spaces for students).

hay, one other question: Have you taken Biochemistry? I know we'll be taking that this year....

Anothertony

I do have a car but as you said there are no spots and I do not want to have to put money in the meter every 2 hours
Have a great time when you visit Boston... I love this city but I'm partial too :D

I have taken a semester of biochem but I don't think it was the depth of what we'll have next year but hopefully it will give me some background. Have you?

ttys

suzQ,
im kinda glad we're having this conversation so that everyone can see as its important for others to know about various schools.

i have not taken Biochem, but i plan to take it over the summer so i have a heads up when we do take it this year; at this point i could care less if i get a "C" in it b/c
1. its not required
2. already been accepted so, why stress? you know..

When i went to NEWENCO they told us that they have a "tutoring" program, so with any course you're having trouble with, they can hook you up with a tutor!

when i was there on the tour we got to see a second year student getting tutored by 2 other STUDENTS so....it was nice to see that kind of ratio (although i think it was by coincidence).

also.....(sorry, i just finished studying for my calculus exam for tomorrow so, i feel the need to BE SOCIAL or i'll go crazy!!) umm:

+pissed+
forgot what i was gonna say....

oh! yeah,
couple of books Dr. Andrew Doan recommended on this forum for beginning opt. students....(us) let me know what you think of them...

Anothertony,

Good luck on your calc exam!
If you are up to taking biochem this summer, go for it, it certainly doesn't matter what grade you receive at this point. Would you even have to tell NEWENCo if you didnt want to?
I like knowing the tutoring program is there too, even if you aren't having trouble with the material soemtimes its nice to talk to someone who has taken the class and can give you some insight.

What books (from Dr. Doan) were you talking about?

:)

Hello SuzyQ, I will be attending NEWENCO in the fall, any suggestions for whats of Boston are the cheapest to reside, If any. I am from Tennessee, but am ready for the winter.

Sorry for the typo, I meant to say "what parts of". Do not want to sound like a redneck, but it hass been a busy day at work. My mind is dreaming of the weekend already.:) :)

Boston Bound-

As I was telling Anothertony, areas around Back Bay where school is are very expensive. We are near BU so there might be student apartments around. I would try seeing if their website contains any housing information (www.bu.edu) Also I think www.boston.com might have apt info.

The further away from the city you go you will find less expensive rent but will also have to give more commuting time. I don't know if you were planning on bringing your car or not. It may be helpful to look for apartments that have easy access and are close to the T (subway). The map for that is at www.mbta.com.
For example, Quincy is on the red line and would take +- 30 min. I have never taken the T during rush hour so that is something I am going to have to test out myself this summer.

Not having looked myself, I'm not sure about average prices. I am hoping to go to the housing fair in June eventhough I don't need an apt., to be able to meet people.

Hope this helps a little.......let me know if you have any more questions :)

boston bound or suzQ,

did you guys get that email from Larry about the Masters in Vision Science? its a new program being implemented/ implamented (i hate spelling that word) anyway,...

is that something you'd consider doing?

no I did not recieve it, but I would love to read it. Is there a way for me to just send you my email address w/out it being posted on here for everyone.

Scratch that last thread, I found some info on the MS program on their webpage.

hey-

I did get that e-mail yesterday. I don't think I'm going to look into it. As I understood it at the open house/interview, was the the program was if you were interested in research or teaching at an optometry school. I haven't had a chance to read the attachment yet.

Are either of you interested?

Boston Bound, if you want me to forward the email, let me know

have a good day!

hay,

suzyQ or boston bound are you guys gonna do the dual degree? the deadline is at the end of march....:rolleyes:

hi
I'm not planning on applying for it. I could be wrong, but I thought you could only apply for the MS program after you started school. I thought your NEWENCO gpa was part of it....I'm not sure and they could have changed it when it was finalized. What I remember is from October. Might be worth a phone call to the school

:)