OAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cds7272

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If an applicant has low OAT scores, but tons of experience, how closely would a school focus on that applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

cds7272 said:
If an applicant has low OAT scores, but tons of experience, how closely would a school focus on that applicant?

GPA is as important as OAT scores. It seems to me that essays (where you can mention your experience) play a role only when academics (GPA and OAT) are on the borderline. Basically an application that has a chance should be rounded out. If your OAT is low, your GPA should be respectable and really strong essays/recommendation. In my case, I had a low GPA, but strong in everything else and I got in everywhere I applied.

Having a lot of experience is definately an asset. From what I know, rather what I've read on this forum, a low OAT score is usually balanced out with a high GPA. If the OAT is the only weak link in the application process you should be okay. If, however, you're OAT and GPA are weak, dynamite experience will probably get you some good consideration, though you may be sitting on the fence with this one. All the best, and never, ever, give up.

I-Ball