RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Has anyone got into an optometry school with OAT scores lower than 300? Right now I have around 280 overall. I'm going to take a Kaplan preparation course and then take the test again in May, but I'm worried that it will be too late by then to be accepted for fall 2005.

Any suggestions? The reason I didn't want to wait mainly is because I'm 29 years old now. If I was about 5 years younger, another year wouldn't be that big of a deal.

PLPrincess

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
CT
Status
RLK said:
Has anyone got into an optometry school with OAT scores lower than 300? Right now I have around 280 overall. I'm going to take a Kaplan preparation course and then take the test again in May, but I'm worried that it will be too late by then to be accepted for fall 2005.

Any suggestions? The reason I didn't want to wait mainly is because I'm 29 years old now. If I was about 5 years younger, another year wouldn't be that big of a deal.
Yup...my AA was 280 I think, got accepted to NECO this year. How are your grades and experience?

OP
RLK

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
PLPrincess said:
Yup...my AA was 280 I think, got accepted to NECO this year. How are your grades and experience?
PLPrincess,

That's interesting because NECO was one of the 4 optometry schools that I applied to. (I applied to PCO, SCO, and ICO also). Now that you've told me this I think I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and ask them about the status of my application.

I think my grades should be fine. I have a B.S. in an unrelated degree (computer science), but since I've gone back to school in the past 2 years when I've taken all the bio, chemistry, and physics I've had an average of around I'd say 3.3 or 3.4. I'll have to calculate it again with last semester's grades.

What class would you say was the most important one to have before going to optometry school? I'm planning on taking anatomy in the summer because I've heard that it is very helpful to have, even though it's not a required prerequisite.

Thanks for the info.
RLK

PLPrincess

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
CT
Status
RLK said:
PLPrincess,

That's interesting because NECO was one of the 4 optometry schools that I applied to. (I applied to PCO, SCO, and ICO also). Now that you've told me this I think I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and ask them about the status of my application.

I think my grades should be fine. I have a B.S. in an unrelated degree (computer science), but since I've gone back to school in the past 2 years when I've taken all the bio, chemistry, and physics I've had an average of around I'd say 3.3 or 3.4. I'll have to calculate it again with last semester's grades.

What class would you say was the most important one to have before going to optometry school? I'm planning on taking anatomy in the summer because I've heard that it is very helpful to have, even though it's not a required prerequisite.

Thanks for the info.
RLK

Did you interview at NECO yet? ANy experience in the field?

I think any class you take that's on the 1st year curriculum will be a lot of help because the classes are fast paced and that way you will already have seen the material and a lot of it will be review.

Good luck!