OAT Studying- Materials/Habits/Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Framecontrol

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I hope your 2008 is going great!

I plan to take the OAT this summer and I am super excited.

I was wondering if someone with more knowledge then I, could give me insight into the best study materials to get prior to the test (ex. Kaplan test book), the best study habits (ex. how many months did you start b4 the test), and any general advice about the test.

I want to go in and really knock em dead, 1 shot, 1 kill...

I know I have it in me to do excellent on the test, but I also know that I need as much valuable information that I can get in order to prepare correctly and stress free.

Well thank you all so much, I would love to hear anything you have to say about preparing for the OAT.
 
well i am in the same boat as you, but i am taking them in april...i am taking the kaplan class so i got the kaplan books from them and then i ordered topscore for OAT and people said that it is good to use because it is a cd that has 3 complete exams on it...and being that the OAT is on the computer it is good practice...hope this helps
 
well i am in the same boat as you, but i am taking them in april...i am taking the kaplan class so i got the kaplan books from them and then i ordered topscore for OAT and people said that it is good to use because it is a cd that has 3 complete exams on it...and being that the OAT is on the computer it is good practice...hope this helps


I am planning to do the same thing....except I'm taking the test a little later than you all. From talking with other Optometry school hopefuls on campus, they said that the Kaplan courses help you with learning strategies to be a better test taker, so in that sense it was really good. Also, I think topscore pro is a really good idea like vish8387 said because it gives you practice on the computer which is the format of the OAT.

One more thing I heard about Kaplan is that it is also good for people who need structure in their studying and don't think they would be really disciplined on their own to study.

I hope the info I provided you with helped somewhat!

And God's grace be with you during your studying and Test day! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used the materials from the Kaplan class. I didn't take it but I bought the materials from someone on here. If you keep an eye out someone will be selling theirs soon I'm sure. I didn't study as much as I had planned to but still did really well. It's only scary if you let it scare you.. don't let it intimidate you, study when you can, if you get overwhelmed take breaks. I studied seriously for 3 weeks or so, but studied off and on for a couple months before that. The only thing I didn't like in the big Kaplan book was the physics section. I did well in physics but their stuff in the book was really overwhelming to me so I used my notes and book from class.

My favorite part of the OAT is that the ochem section is a lot easier than the actual class! Mechanisms were really tough for me but you can't write them on a multiple choice test 😀
 
I used the Examkrackers MCAT study books for reviewing Bio, Gen Chem, OChem and Physics. For practicing questions, I used OAT achiever which gives you a good practice for the exam on the computer....and OAT Destroyer was awesome for practice!
 
I used DAT book unlike others because both tests are covering same materials except for the physics and PAT.

My brother who went to dental school had an old Kaplan DAT book and I compared that with my friend's OAT book and they are basically same.

But I know for the fact that lots of students are studying with MCAT books too. In fact, PCO admission counselors are recommending the MCAT books for the preparation of OAT.

And, make sure you make a reservation in far advance if you are not a morning person. It made me wait for another three weeks because I know for the fact I would screw OAT up (I have very low blood pressure so in the morning I would be basically a zombie).

Good luck on your test !!
 
And, make sure you make a reservation in far advance if you are not a morning person. It made me wait for another three weeks because I know for the fact I would screw OAT up (I have very low blood pressure so in the morning I would be basically a zombie).

Good luck on your test !!

Well I dont plan to take the OAT until late summer or early fall. When should I make the reservation if this is the case??


I would like to thank you all for your kind words! I wish the same to all of you too!! Thanks for all the advice.
 
I am not very sure because I only took it once. However, as far as PCO admission counselors and other schools' websites recommend, you have to make an appointment about 2 months before the test.

I guess it has to do with the testing centers too. So, if I were you (and I was smarter when I took it), I would pay first and try to see the reservation calendar the testing center has. I think you can make a reservation about 3 months advance.
 
Here's what I would do:

1. Buy a princeton review MCAT review book and use this as your main source of study. Also, use your organic/general chemistry, biology, physics textbooks as needed to supplement the review book.

2. Top Score Pro practice exams or the practice exams from KAPLAN. I would strongly advise against taking a KAPLAN prep class. Just my opinion, but I think they're a waste of time and money. I would just use their online materials.

3. Buy/order "DAT Destroyer." This is a book of practice problems for the DAT, which is very similar to the OAT (minus a physics section).

I scored a 370 on my OATs by just studying a princeton review MCAT review book and used the top score pro practice exams. I wasn't aware of the DAT destroyer until after I took my exam. I have a friend who took the DAT and studied out of that book. I looked through the book, and I think it's an excellent source of challenging problems that should help with your preparation. The book also comes with great answer explanations.

I studied for a about 2 months STRAIGHT--MOSTLY EVERYDAY from 9 AM to 10 PM - Midnight. This worked for me. However, I didn't prepare for the reading comprehension and math section at all. Hope this helps. Good luck with your studying. Just focus and be determined.
 
Here's what I would do:

1. Buy a princeton review MCAT review book and use this as your main source of study. Also, use your organic/general chemistry, biology, physics textbooks as needed to supplement the review book.

2. Top Score Pro practice exams or the practice exams from KAPLAN. I would strongly advise against taking a KAPLAN prep class. Just my opinion, but I think they're a waste of time and money. I would just use their online materials.

3. Buy/order "DAT Destroyer." This is a book of practice problems for the DAT, which is very similar to the OAT (minus a physics section).

I scored a 370 on my OATs by just studying a princeton review MCAT review book and used the top score pro practice exams. I wasn't aware of the DAT destroyer until after I took my exam. I have a friend who took the DAT and studied out of that book. I looked through the book, and I think it's an excellent source of challenging problems that should help with your preparation. The book also comes with great answer explanations.

I studied for a about 2 months STRAIGHT--MOSTLY EVERYDAY from 9 AM to 10 PM - Midnight. This worked for me. However, I didn't prepare for the reading comprehension and math section at all. Hope this helps. Good luck with your studying. Just focus and be determined.

Thanks for the great information! I already bought the Kaplan OAT book and I plan to begin studying that first. Once I finish that I will pick up the MCAT Princeton book and maybe the OAT destroyer.

I am very much focused and determined, but WOW 12 hours a day for 2 months of studying??? That is quite a lot. I assume I will be working at this time and I will not be able to put in such packed hours....

How long did other people study for the OAT's and how far in advance??
 
I took the test on October 30th and (officially) began studying for the test at the beginning of September. I studied for 2-3 hours for 6 days a week. I probably had a total of 120 study hours before the test.

To help facilitate my studying, I purchased the OAT Achiever. This was the best decision I made in hindsight. The Achiever allowed me to see where my weak points were (Biology), and where I was strong (OChem, Physics, Quantitative Reasoning). The Achiever functioned in much the same way as the computerized OAT. This allowed me to practice marking lengthy questions and going back later. I was very comfortable with the OAT program when I tested mainly due to the Achiever. I would like to make a huge note with using Achiever. It is designed to be more difficult than the actual OAT. I was scoring roughly 260-320 with an average of around 300. This ended up being significantly lower than my actual scores (350 TS, 340 AA).

I also had the (relatively small) OAT Kaplan book to get questions from. This was a good way to study without access to a computer.

Using questions from the Achiever and Kaplan book, I used my textbooks and sparknotes (for example http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/ for the physics) to understand the questions from each category.

Because I was struggling with Biology, I purchased Schaum's Outline of Biology to facilitate my learning. My Biology score went from 260 with Achiever to 320 on the actual test (still my lowest test score, meh).


My advice would be to relax and hit the books. You've got plenty of time. Every person studies differently and needs different amounts of time to absorb information. If you start studying now for just 1 hour each night, you'll be better off than cramming for 1-2 months leading up to the test. Let me know if you have any other questions!
 
I took the test on October 30th and (officially) began studying for the test at the beginning of September. I studied for 2-3 hours for 6 days a week. I probably had a total of 120 study hours before the test.

To help facilitate my studying, I purchased the OAT Achiever. This was the best decision I made in hindsight. The Achiever allowed me to see where my weak points were (Biology), and where I was strong (OChem, Physics, Quantitative Reasoning). The Achiever functioned in much the same way as the computerized OAT. This allowed me to practice marking lengthy questions and going back later. I was very comfortable with the OAT program when I tested mainly due to the Achiever. I would like to make a huge note with using Achiever. It is designed to be more difficult than the actual OAT. I was scoring roughly 260-320 with an average of around 300. This ended up being significantly lower than my actual scores (350 TS, 340 AA).

I also had the (relatively small) OAT Kaplan book to get questions from. This was a good way to study without access to a computer.

Using questions from the Achiever and Kaplan book, I used my textbooks and sparknotes (for example http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/ for the physics) to understand the questions from each category.

Because I was struggling with Biology, I purchased Schaum's Outline of Biology to facilitate my learning. My Biology score went from 260 with Achiever to 320 on the actual test (still my lowest test score, meh).


My advice would be to relax and hit the books. You've got plenty of time. Every person studies differently and needs different amounts of time to absorb information. If you start studying now for just 1 hour each night, you'll be better off than cramming for 1-2 months leading up to the test. Let me know if you have any other questions!
\

Thanks so much man! Totally helpful stuff...

I like ur style, sounds like the way I do things.

I will keep in touch.
 
All the advices given here are good. But everyone has their own style. Some like to memorize and some like to understand the concepts.
My strategy as of now before the exam is (cuz not sure if it work 😎 )

-Kaplan DAT book
-Kaplan OAT review book
-Laptop with internet access to find other resources
-ExamKrackers Physics
-OAT Achiever
-OAT topscore

Order of my studying: Gen. Chem, Orgo, Bio, Math, Physics, and Verbal is squeezed in here and there.

I study one section thoroughly (ie Biology) then take an exam of that section only. Review questions that I got wrong AND right. Then move onto the next section (ie Organic) and do the section exam once finished. Then I take another exam of the previous section (biology), to see if I remember. I am able to do this because of several practice exams I have.

Like I said, it's your own style, read other people's advices and incorporate it into your own 😉.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.
 
I would like to sell my big Kaplan book and the review book it came with. I also have the flash cards that came with it. I took my OAT last summer and kicked ass on it by using these materials. I would definitely suggest using Kaplan. If you are interested in buying the books from me send me a message. I would be willing to sell them pretty cheap. Especially since I spent over $1000 on taking the online course. With the online course I had to set up my own schedule anyway so I would be saving you the hassle of wasting money. I set up a three month study plan covering the Kaplan books and practice tests. This worked wonders! Well let me know and good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A friend of mine and I both just enrolled in the Kaplan online course (since i'm in Canada) and they sent me the course notes and books and flash cards. I studied for about 12 days right before the OAT for about 12 hours per day and it worked out good for me.

I didn't have time to go through the online course but all I did was read through the course notes and flash cards (and just part 1 of the bio section on the online course)

Both of us got the same score. We got a 380 TS and 350 AA (my friend beat me on some science sections here and there and I beat her on some)

My lowest score was the reading comprehension (a 270 or something) which is because i tried to absorb the articles before attempting the questions. Someone who got a 400 on the forum suggested not reading the passages...but to look for the answers after reading the questions.

anyway, I hope that helps

take-care
 
Don't be afraid to postpone it if you aren't ready. It's worth the ten dollars.
 
I used the Kaplan Oat books - not just the sample tests book but the comprehensive course designed for the OAT. I used top score pro as well.

I spent 2 months making notes from the kaplan books. 2 months sounds like a while but in reality i probably averaged 30 mins a day, as 2 or 3 days would sometimes pass without me doing any studying. After I had those notes done, I spent 3 weeks hardcore studying - basically memorizing everything I wrote and doing practice tests. I was taking 3 courses at the time so I probably did pure OAT studying for 5 hours a day. During the last week I bought top score pro so I could test myself to see if I was ready.

I didn't study for RC at all .... in my opinion it's natural ability. I studied minimally for QR, but I don't think there is too much you can do for that section either. I just got comfortable with the time limits and did some mental math practice. I studied a lot for the other sections tho!

My scores were QR 340, RC 370, TS 380, AA 370
 
Hey everyone, I hope your 2008 is going great!

I plan to take the OAT this summer and I am super excited.

I was wondering if someone with more knowledge then I, could give me insight into the best study materials to get prior to the test (ex. Kaplan test book), the best study habits (ex. how many months did you start b4 the test), and any general advice about the test.

I want to go in and really knock em dead, 1 shot, 1 kill...

I know I have it in me to do excellent on the test, but I also know that I need as much valuable information that I can get in order to prepare correctly and stress free.

Well thank you all so much, I would love to hear anything you have to say about preparing for the OAT.


I took the oat in december. the first time i took the oat, i didnt really study for it and made 300 ts/310 aa. the second time around, (after taking the kaplan course) i made 340ts/330 aa. I also worked full time at the moment and really believe I could have scored much higher if i didnt work full time, but I got accepted for UHCO already for class of 2012! I'm currently trying to sell my books and materials. I have the kaplan lesson book, notes, flashcards, and practice tests. I believe the all of these materials are needed to score higher on the test, especially the flashcards because you can take them anywhere, and the practice test really prepare you for the real thing!

If anyone is interested in buying the kaplan materials from me, please private message me! Thanks!!!
 
If I were a preoptometry student about to take the OAT I would do it this way...

Summer, 'cause you can study on the McGill lawn w/ ur bikini on, 4-5 hrs per day for two months of review of the material, then one month to three weeks of intensive 2-3 hrs for the first week and then 6 hr sessions of full length and practice questions gruelling....

gobble the Kaplan OAT review notes and lesson book, get the flashcards, or MCAT will do but mind u MCAT does not have all the plant notes that the OAT has

TopScore over Acheiver

Get pracitce exams from Kaplan 'cause that drills it home

pace yourself. MOST IMPORTANT: the OAT is a test of performance more than anything. so remain calm, confident, happy, sexy...whatever makes you feel good and breeze through the OAT like you would when walking through our montreal -40 winters w 30cm snow....and afterwards, you will feel fine 🙂

Dont get too nervous. That screws u up. remember to sleep the night before.

IMPORTANT: might want to learn some probability for the OAT, what Down's syndrome is, other genetic anomalies that are commonly known in genetics classes and the male and female reprod cycle....

btw bring earplugs incase you are writing the exam next to someone pounding at the keyboard like their life depended on it, well bc it does i guess.... their manic look on their faces seem sincere....
 
here's is my advice: try to take your OAT's right after your finals. That way you dont have to study the materials that you took a course on just this semester. Of course you should study the material that you dont remember, but I found that I didnt have to study any organic chem, math, physics, or english for the OATs cuz I had finals on them right b4 my OAT. It might sound a little bit stressful and a little bit too rushed. It helped me out alot. AA:350, TS:360 🙂

ps. it really helped doin the OAT's on a computer....it's really laid back and you don't need to see everyone else stressing out beside you like would in the old OAT.
 
I just wrote OAT this saturday and I'm glad it's over!!
I started preparing for OAT about 3 months ago. A bit by bit but it didn't go anywhere. I was doing schoolwork and because I KNEW i could reschedule OAT pretty easily, I ended up rescheduling a couple times.
However, it's nothing to worry about! I studied 5days straight (about 7-8 hours per day) because I just wanted to get it over this time. Plus, it was the last time I could write OAT for this admission cycle.
Study your material from MCAT review book. I used Kaplan's MCAT coursebooks I borrowed from my friend. It's a really good book for Organic chem, physics, and general chem. I didn't study for calculus that much; neither I prepared for reading comprehension.
Then, I practiced using sample tests from opted.org site (really gives u an idea of what to expect); then Kaplan OAT sample tests. I was really discouraged the day before the exam because Kaplan OAT is wayyyy hard. (I was getting 290-260 in some of the sections.)
When I wrote the OAT though, during the test, I couldn't think or compare whether it was easier than MCAT or not cuz I was soo pressed for time.
I ended up getting 360 in most of my section and 390 in calculus! 🙂
I'm telling you, it's nothing to worry about if you took 1st year science courses. My advice is, don't worry too much. Know the basic equations and practice solving problems FAST.
 
I was wondering, where can I find cheap OAT Destroyer books?! I have been looking for those..

Thank you!
 
there is no trick to the OAT, just study hard and youll do fine. stop looking for gimicks and worry about learning how to attack the test.
 
its just the math section. its not really ALL calculus, thought i think you might have to know the basics
 
I have Kaplan book bought from this Forum, if you want. The previous user got 100 percentile, and I got 99.5. (It's a lucky book! 😀 )
 
I recommend taking a structured course like Kaplan because it helps to motivate you to study.

Even with this course you need a lot of discipline to do all of the reading and practice exams. If you really apply yourself you will be happy with the results.

Kaplan has a guarantee that you will do better than your initial exam, which doesn't sound like a big deal but it helps to know that they are committed to see you succeed.

One bad thing is that it is very expensive. So if you can't take the course, maybe buy the material from a Kaplan graduate. For example, me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/index.html?ie=UTF8&sellerID=A8U68QYVEI6ZB

I think the best thing about Kaplan is all of the practice exams. I learned how to skip over frustrating problems instead of spending too much time on one problem.

If you are as dedicated to taking the OAT as you would be for a normal 10 week course, you will definitely be able to achieve a score that is a good representation of your abilities.