ob/gyn - malpractice rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boxerman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a MS -3 doing my rotation in ob/gyn now and I'm considering this as a profession ( which is utterly humorous to me, I had ruled it out all together before the rotation, but have had my mind opended by my experiences thus far). anyway, does anyone have ideas on what an Oby/gyn in west Texas might pay for malpractice.
Also, I will be an American grad (2005) with avg. class rank, but below avg step I score ( passed first time , but it wasn't my best work), any ideas of how competitive ob/gyn residency is to get into???
Any replies welcome. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The level of competition has dropped in recent years due to issues such as malpractice & life style. It differs from person to person, but if you've passed stp 1 & 2 and have good letters of Rec. then getting in somewhere should not be a problem.

The question about malpractice is too vague. It depends on variables such as year in practice, past litigation, practice type, location, and so forth... In Maryland (where I am) I have seen attendings in Private Practice with insurance premiums ranging from 60K to 210K per year.

Geez!!! Are they making enough money to still live "comfortably"?? (I realize how subjective that word is) But please answer if you can. It's not a rhetorical question :) .

Tales of horror about people who's malpractice insurance is near or above their income galls me. But since you're in teh maryland area, I suppose your numbers could potentially apply to No Virginia (where I hope to one day practice??...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Biochemist13
An interesting article with rates in Illinois at the end.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-doc05.html

Interesting article. I didn't know that ENT has the highest job dissatisfaction with OB second. Most of the ENT docs I know seem pretty happy:confused:

Those malpractice rates are rediculous $140,000 in Cook county. If you leave the area or your job and your new place is not covered by your old insurer, typically your tail coverage is 2-3 times your premium which means $280-420K!:wow:

that's why our current system of healthcare is ******ed.

vote republican, put a cap on bull$hit lawsuits, and see what happens (some of our senators that can be seen on c-span are quite lacking and clearly know nothing about healthcare...yet they say that putting caps on damages awarded by juries won't help anything...yeah, right).

additionally, who gave the "okay" on the rule that ob's can be held liable for their patients' well-being until their 18th birthday? some screwed up!

originaly posted by Goober:
Interesting article. I didn't know that ENT has the highest job dissatisfaction with OB second. Most of the ENT docs I know seem pretty happy

Those malpractice rates are rediculous $140,000 in Cook county. If you leave the area or your job and your new place is not covered by your old insurer, typically your tail coverage is 2-3 times your premium which means $280-420K!

Not long ago the topic about these tail coverages came up on another thread. Do you know what happens when an Ob Gyn retires? I simply can't understand how a retired physician can pay $150K or more a year for tail coverage! This makes no sense to me! :confused: Thanks!

NewGuyBob said:
Not long ago the topic about these tail coverages came up on another thread. Do you know what happens when an Ob Gyn retires? I simply can't understand how a retired physician can pay $150K or more a year for tail coverage! This makes no sense to me! :confused: Thanks!

Many insurance companies will forgive the tail when you retire if you have been with them for a long time although I am not really sure if this happens in OB since the risk is so much higher and if you retire at 65 you have a chance of being sued all the way till 83 assuming you were doing deliveries.

If you have an insane tail and don't want to pay it, you could always protect all your assets and "go bare" as they say

what are the most common methods of protecting your assets?

i've thought "hiding" them in my children's bank accounts?

Democrats out to get us doctors and rip us for money is nothing new, but republicans should have done far more while in power. I think most democratic politicians have to much pampering to their trial-lawyers to do, while most republicans just see us as some domb naive fools that will support them no matter what.

I am very disappointed that they haven't done more for us while in power.

I think doctors should stop doing lobbying and take more collective actions instead. Stop paying heed to any politicians until they actually do something.

For anyone that want to know the latest trends in fighting lawyers and "expert vitnesses" (the traitors) check out medical justice!!

www.medicaljustice.com

We medical students should band together and be more proactive. Unfortuantely, we all tend to stap each others in the back instead of working together, as can easily be seen on many of these fora, but we have to learn to stand together no matter what.

Those of us that believe in appeasements, Howard Dean and Bush-bashing forget the big issues, like; who can afford to be obstetrician soon?!

Having myself not yet finalized what I intend to do after PGY-1, I am leaning towards OB or anesthesia myself, and malpractice issues will be another deciding factor at the end of next year..