OB-gyn programs with a strong international component

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bottomlesspit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to add too many questions to the same thread, so will essentially dedicate one thread to each question.

First off, what ob-gyn programs have strong international research/clinical opportunities incorporated into their curriculum? Many thanks for the composite wisdom :)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for other programs, but at the Washington Hospital Center we have relationships with Granada (through our GYN/ONC) with 2 trips per year (OCT/JUN). Generally a chief or 3rd year signs up and gets to operate one-on-one for several days with our GYN/ONC. The second one is an annual trip to the fistula clinic in Niger (through our URO/GYN), in which you are part of a larger team with URO/GYN's from this area.

Hope this helps ya!

I don't want to add too many questions to the same thread, so will essentially dedicate one thread to each question.

First off, what ob-gyn programs have strong international research/clinical opportunities incorporated into their curriculum? Many thanks for the composite wisdom :)

I was also interested in the opportunity to go abroad during my residency. I just remember a lot of the California programs have opportunities (I applied mostly in California). The important questions to ask residencies when you interview is how many people have gone abroad in years past? Do they do it on their vacation or their elective time? Is something already set up through the program or do people sort of arrange it on their own? Is there funding available?

There was a rumor at one of the places I interviewed that the way residency reimbursements is set up, or going to change, that international rotations aren't allowed anymore because they technically can't pay you (And cover your malpractice insurance) to work for another hospital kinda thing. That's just a recollection. I don't know if it's actually true or not.