Ob/Gyn Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secretmiss

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading threads lately related to choosing between state schools (with and without scholarships) and private schools. Often, people seem to say if you are looking into a competitive residency, like Derm or Ortho, go to the elite private school but it you are doing peds, family medicine, go the cheaper state school. My question is, what if you want to do Ob/Gyn? Is that competitive or not? If you want to do Ob/Gyn should you choose the state school or the elite private school? Also, I would probably like to subspecialize in something like high-risk pregnancies. Does that make a difference in where I go to med school? Do I need a prestigious residency to subspecialize?

Members don't see this ad.

secretmiss said:
I have been reading threads lately related to choosing between state schools (with and without scholarships) and private schools. Often, people seem to say if you are looking into a competitive residency, like Derm or Ortho, go to the elite private school but it you are doing peds, family medicine, go the cheaper state school. My question is, what if you want to do Ob/Gyn? Is that competitive or not? If you want to do Ob/Gyn should you choose the state school or the elite private school? Also, I would probably like to subspecialize in something like high-risk pregnancies. Does that make a difference in where I go to med school? Do I need a prestigious residency to subspecialize?

Ob/Gyn isnt competitive, and there is little special training at the med school level that an elite private school could give you that you wouldnt see in a state school. So basically, go wherever you will enjoy your time the most. I dont think that you will have a problem matching, given that you do at least average or so in med school.

You might check out the affiliated hospitals you'll be rotating through during med school to see if you find any with programs you're interested in. Also you can do away electives at some schools and not at others. So keep those two things in mind when picking a med school I guess...also remember you might change your mind, so go to a school where you'll still have options in case you develop a burning desire to go into dermatology (burning, get it? ha ha ha ha ha!).

Best of luck!