OB/GYN residency, Military spouse, geographic limitations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brady12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I was really hoping someone out there could be provided with some guidance or advice. I want to apply to an ACGME OB/GYN residency, however there are some catches. I need to limit myself geographically due to my husband being in the military, southern California (preferably, we are already settled here) and DC surrounding areas (maryland, philadelphia, virginia).
My questions are:
1. How likely am I to match?
2. How crucial is it to have research?
3. Should I somehow make it known that he is military? If so, How?
- Do you mention additional obstacles to overcome while in school?
- I feel like this may help them understand why I need that region?
About me:
California resident (but from the northeast)
Step 1: 245 ; COMLEX: 687
DO student, most third year rotations in San Diego, CA
NO research :( only case presentations (how much is this going to hurt me?- my biggest downfall)
SSP member (AOA equivalent), honors in OB/GYN, FM, PEDs, A's (high pass equiv) in all others (so far)
top 10% of class, Tons of community service and leadership positions, started national chapter for AWS (association of women surgeons) at my school.

Members don't see this ad.

Your biggest downfall for SoCal is being a DO, not research. You need to look at all the SoCal programs and see if there are DOs there. I would guess you are better off targeting the Norfolk area (EVMS, VCU, etc). You might try looking in Riverside CA (new med school so maybe new residency programs).

Reactions: 1 users
Your biggest downfall for SoCal is being a DO, not research. You need to look at all the SoCal programs and see if there are DOs there. I would guess you are better off targeting the Norfolk area (EVMS, VCU, etc). You might try looking in Riverside CA (new med school so maybe new residency programs).

That bias is about the only thing I am aware of, unfortunately. I have already researched most of the programs in the region, have collected information on FREIDA in regards to the % DO in the last 3 years, and visited some program websites for current residents in hopes to better understand my chances in that department of my application. Norfolk region is out of my geographic comfort zone, but thank you! Riverside is definitely on my list to look into more.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are nuts! She has great scores and grades. You should be able to land your first pick if you're not a weirdo and botch the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Just as an aside, my school sends grads to SoCal all the time. People from CA want to go back to CA. I could name a few programs, but I don't want to out my school.

You guys are nuts! She has great scores and grades. You should be able to land your first pick if you're not a weirdo and botch the interview.

I guess 100% of DOs that applied to UCSD are weirdos with bad scores and grades since there aren't any DO residents.

UCLA hasnt graduated a DO in this century: http://obgyn.ucla.edu/graduated-residents

But sure, I'm nuts for suggesting she research programs to figure out her best options.

I did research programs. Harbor-UCLA, for instance, has a DO as their program director. So frankly I don't need someone to tell me to research because I can assure you I've done more than enough. I'm not as foolish as you may think. I understand USC, UCSD, and possibly UCLA aren't going to happen so I don't need someone to repeatedly tell me that.
I was more asking for advice to help me become a better applicant and how to go about approaching my situation and if I should mention it to help me stay in California.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That shouldn't stop you from applying to those places though. It sounds like you are close enough geographically to where interviews there wouldn't set you back much, if at all, financially. See if you get interviews and then take it from there. Never say never. Death and taxes. With regard to your situation, tell them exactly that. It's honest and will come across that way. Too many Dutch Uncle experts on these boards.

That's my intention! Thanks for being so supportive. My current preceptor, who trained at UC-Irvine (an MD) believes that this bias is archaic. So let's hope that some other attendings/PDs at those programs agree.

I did research programs. Harbor-UCLA, for instance, has a DO as their program director. So frankly I don't need someone to tell me to research because I can assure you I've done more than enough. I'm not as foolish as you may think. I understand USC, UCSD, and possibly UCLA aren't going to happen so I don't need someone to repeatedly tell me that.
I was more asking for advice to help me become a better applicant and how to go about approaching my situation and if I should mention it to help me stay in California.

No need to get defensive.

Gastrapathy is just pointing out reality. The bigger academic programs in Southern California are not interviewing DOs on a consistent basis if at all. It's not fair but it is reality. Some attendings still think DO students are weaker.

I would still apply since it's cheap to do and you are so geographically restricted but you have to be realistic.

Lack of research is not an issue. PDs in OB GYN do not really care about research. Most faculty at OB GYN programs are not even performing any meaningful research.

When I interviewed potential residents, their research rarely came up. When I was applying for residency, my research came up but did not really help me. (Matched at the near bottom of my rank list).

You can bring up why you want to be in the area. The interviewer will take note of it but hard to say of it will make a meaningful difference. There is no shortage of medical students who want to be in these areas.

There are a lot of programs in Southern California and the DC/Maryland area. You should be able to match at a program but it probably won't be at a program like UCLA, Hopkins or Penn.

Thank you for your honest and informative response. I really appreciate that. You are absolutely right that I have to be realistic, and I am. I understand that there are about 6-8 programs that won't even consider me. Once they see DO I'm gone and out of the running. Thank you for giving me the perspective on research, helps a lot.

When I interviewed potential residents, their research rarely came up. When I was applying for residency, my research came up but did not really help me. (Matched at the near bottom of my rank list).

so what do programs look for in OB/GYN? as a MS2 who recently decided on OB/GYN after vacillating between all kinds of specialties, I have basic science research that is relevant and a clinical research project that is not, but I don't really have anything else (like some volunteering, but nothing amazing).

From what I've seen: scores, grades in clinical rotations, LOR, and something that sets you apart

so what do programs look for in OB/GYN? as a MS2 who recently decided on OB/GYN after vacillating between all kinds of specialties, I have basic science research that is relevant and a clinical research project that is not, but I don't really have anything else (like some volunteering, but nothing amazing).

Like someone mentioned earlier:
In no particular order:
USMLE scores (generally step 1, more programs are asking for Step 2 as well)
Clinical Grades during third year
Letters of Rec

If you come from a name program , that will help. They usually have faculty that know other academic faculty etc and can make a call for you.
Then research, personal statement etc.

How you interview is important but mainly to see fit and make sure you aren't so dysfunctional you can't keep it together for a few hours on interview day.

If you have an interesting background, research, extra curriculars are good but won't mean much without the Step 1 scores, 3rd year grades, and letter of recs.