OB-Gyn Shelf Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Books Preferred for Ob-Gyn Shelf Exam

• Blueprints

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • NMS

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • First Aid

• PreTest

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Boards and Wards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Appleton and Lange

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Screw your school. Memorize casefiles, UWise, and UWorld and you should be able to crush the test.
Source: Did the following and crushed the shelf.

Thank you. I have an older copy of Beckmann which i am only using as a “desk reference” kind of thing.

Did you finish all of UWise and UWorld and read all of Case Files? I just worry I won’t finish all of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I read 4 cases everyday (had about 3 passes doing this for an 8 week rotation). I did about 20 Qs from UWise and 20 from UWorld each day. If you are strapped for time, do UWise only and CaseFiles.

I'm doing a PCOS question on uworld that isn't making sense to me. PCOS has elevated estrogen, that causes withdrawal bleeding on a progesterone challenge test. Would the elevated estrogen cause Heavy periods or Oligomenorrhea? I assumed estrogen would cause hyperplasia of the endometrium that would cause bleeding, but uWorld says Oligomenorrhea would occur. Can anyone shine some light on this please?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing a PCOS question on uworld that isn't making sense to me. PCOS has elevated estrogen, that causes withdrawal bleeding on a progesterone challenge test. Would the elevated estrogen cause Heavy periods or Oligomenorrhea? I assumed estrogen would cause hyperplasia of the endometrium that would cause bleeding, but uWorld says Oligomenorrhea would occur. Can anyone shine some light on this please?
Thank you

Oligomenorrhea bc of the lack of LH surge from the increased in LH:FSh ratio.

Hello, everyone. In keeping up with my write-ups, here's the next installment.

OB/Gyn Shelf exam score: 98th percentile

OB/Gyn is a weird rotation where there is no one specific organ and pelvic anatomy is always difficult and seems disparate. However, with enough critical thinking and repetition, it can be mastered. Peds and OB go hand-in-hand so you'll have an advantage for OB if you've done peds first (for the shelf and clinic) and vice versa (advantage for peds embryology/development stuff if you've done OB prior)--but all of that is just cherry on top. Another weird thing about OB/Gyn is that it's one of those things that's not stressed as much as medicine during the preclinicals, so don't worry if you haven't done medicine yet. (Although medicine is the base for everything). We have a 6 week OB/Gyn rotation in a 3 week:3 week break-down. I quickly read Blueprints right in the week or so before the rotation and worked through UW OB/Gyn questions during the rotation. Our school (and most schools, I believe) provide access to UWise qbank which is on par with UW. I think UWise gets too in the weeds sometimes since it's by APGO and that's their lives, but UW gives a more holistic approach (similar to what you're likely to see on the shelf and/or Step 2). UWise is much quicker to do though since each question is rather straightforward and the explanations aren't multi-page essays like UW. All in all UW and UWise are comparable and I highly recommend you do both, but prioritize UW first. I really enjoyed the rotation. Clinic is always super boring, but I got to master doing gobs of pelvic/speculum exams. On OB I got to deliver several babies and assist in so many more (both C-sections and vaginal). Gyn was my favorite since it was very procedural. This was one of the few rotations I didn't study as hardcore compared to my day-to-day activities. OB/Gyn schedules were weird so I just chipped away at whatever study questions I knew I had to do throughout the weeks. I highly recommend having the last week or two to review and consolidate.

Actual shelf: there was a good mix of OB and gyn. I would say 60/40 split (give or take). Definitely know breast high-yield stuff (for those of you who have done surgery, you'll be good for this), C-section indications, (pre)eclampsia, and other topics that are highly represented by your qbanks (and also your real life clinical experience!). Be careful not to mix up your institution's rules that everyone believes as gospel with the true-to-fact book answers. For example, amniotomy is commonly performed at our very-high volume institution but is rarely the right answer on clinical vignettes. Have a system to figure everything out (steps in managing third-trimester bleeding, vulvar lesions, etc.).

Very rewarding rotation. I will likely never deliver a baby or hold a uterus again (nor do I want to), but you will learn a lot (I know I did!). Ultimately, I learned more things just because of having children in the future and just things every doctor and person should know.

Good luck, everyone!

FS

Reactions: 3 users