OB/GYN Shelf Exam???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voltron77

4th year Medical Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good ways to prepare for the OB.GYN shelf exam?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!!

:idea: :luck: :rolleyes: :D ;) :cool: :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

I used Blueprints, casefiles, pretest... which I think was overkill, but I did really well on the Shelf. Basically, I used Blueprints when I had big chunks of time to study, and casefiles/pretest when I was on call and expected to get interupted q5-10 minutes.

Best,
Anka

Members don't see this ad :)
Echoing everyone else. I used Blueprints and CaseFiles. I did about 50 questions in Pretest and I had access to the ACOG's online questions. Did very well on the rotation.

Echoing everyone else. I used Blueprints and CaseFiles. I did about 50 questions in Pretest and I had access to the ACOG's online questions. Did very well on the rotation.

Madame LULU,

How did you get access to ACOG's online questions?

Voltron77 ;)

blueprints, case files, and pretest as well... completely adequate prep to do well on the SHELF

blueprints + case files = 95 on the test.

Read Eugene Toy's Case Files of Ob-Gyn + at least one other good source (I recommend Secrets of Ob-Gyn). You will have every topic covered between these.

case files alone, if you have a good baseline reasoning skills during exams, will get you in the top 25% for every shelf exam

I always try to read multiple sources, but I didn't have time for that in OB and I just read through case files 3 or so times. I was so surprised that I felt prepared when I was taking the shelf. Haven't got the grades back, but I felt ok about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
all i used was kaplan; it was pretty good

what do people think about the blueprints Q&A book or the NMS obs/gyn questions?

Thanks! :)

Any thoughts on Beckmann's...the blue (previously light purple) textbook?

Took the shelf exam today and it was probably the most straight forward shelf exam I have ever taken! Thanks to everyone for their helpful hints and/or comments to this thread! Best of luck to everyone out there! :idea:

I used BRS, and it seemed pretty adequate.

is 2 weeks enough to study for the shelf? i havent started yet. am i screwed?

Took the shelf exam today and it was probably the most straight forward shelf exam I have ever taken! Thanks to everyone for their helpful hints and/or comments to this thread! Best of luck to everyone out there! :idea:

watd u use to study

Anyone try the kaplan qbank questions for ob gyn (I wanna save world for the real deal)? I heard there are like 150 or so. If you did let me know how they compared up. Thanks

i dont know how hard the shelf is... is 2 wks a decent amount of time to ace the shelf? has that ever been done or can i just forget about honoring

what are your thoughts on pretest and appleton and lange. whats wrong with them? are they not similar to the real deal?

Man, I took that thing last week. I just read blueprints and did the APOG question bank online. Maybe it was b/c this is my first shelf, but I felt worse than I did after Step 1 when I left the shelf. Do not underestimate it just because people say it is "straight forward".

Man, I took that thing last week. I just read blueprints and did the APOG question bank online. Maybe it was b/c this is my first shelf, but I felt worse than I did after Step 1 when I left the shelf. Do not underestimate it just because people say it is "straight forward".

did you read blueprints once? wow that freaks me out! i have my shelf in a few days

bumping - test in 1.5 weeks - massive questions? or re-read blue prints?

bump. any advice?

I used only blueprints and case files. I did well on the exam, but didn't honor it. Looking back, I probably should have used Pretest to prepare for the type of qustions I'd see since it was my first shelf exam. I would still recommend blueprints and case files though. They were very helpful.

for those of you who honored the shelf, did you use anything besides blueprints and casefiles?

did anyone use first aid obgyn and find it useful??

bump. c'mon guys advice to prepare?

we had the practical today - and it succcckkkkkked!

bump. c'mon guys advice to prepare?

we had the practical today - and it succcckkkkkked!

I have my oral exam tomorrow, as well as an in-house exam. My shelf is Friday, so I'll make sure to give a report when I'm done.

I'm currently using First Aid and PreTest.

All I used was Kaplan Lecture Notes for Step II (1.5 days), no questions... and managed to pass the shelf by a good margin- which is worth 33% of our grade. I guess I just got a lot of clinical experience during my rotation.

Anyways, don't take my advice, just thought I should throw that out there.