OB/GYN Shelf - Guidelines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillrothI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody -

Quick question:

Does anyone know which guidelines are used on the OB/GYN shelf exam? ACOG and USPSTF guidelines differ in a few areas, such as mammography, and I'm not sure which we'll be tested on.

Thanks!

-Bill

Members don't see this ad.

I believe it's the USPSTF guidelines that are used by writers of APGO UWise question bank. I think the question writers are aware of conflicts in guidelines, and will not write questions that force students to use one guidelines over the other.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Everybody -

Quick question:

Does anyone know which guidelines are used on the OB/GYN shelf exam? ACOG and USPSTF guidelines differ in a few areas, such as mammography, and I'm not sure which we'll be tested on.

Thanks!

-Bill

They may test you an both but will specify which one they are asking about. The main difference is in mammography between usptf and acog. From what I remember though they don’t get to specific on screening questions, and there isn’t much about breast disease on the obgyn shelf unless things have changed drastically.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They may test you an both but will specify which one they are asking about. The main difference is in mammography between usptf and acog. From what I remember though they don’t get to specific on screening questions, and there isn’t much about breast disease on the obgyn shelf unless things have changed drastically.

Thanks very much! Appreciate the heads-up.

-Bill

In my experience, ACOG seems to go with screening mammograms every year past the age of 40 which are the ACS criteria.

In my experience, ACOG seems to go with screening mammograms every year past the age of 40 which are the ACS criteria.

In the general population they ACOG specifically recommends shared decision making I.e. discuss risks and benefits of screening in average risk women between 40-49 and start annual screening no later than 50, at age 55 if negative can discuss screening once every 2 years and then discuss r/b at age 75 but can dc screening after that

I honestly would not bother memorizing this, it is a level of detail seen only on OBgyn oral boards