OB/GYN Shelf - Guidelines

BillrothI

7+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2013
    Hey Everybody -

Quick question:

Does anyone know which guidelines are used on the OB/GYN shelf exam? ACOG and USPSTF guidelines differ in a few areas, such as mammography, and I'm not sure which we'll be tested on.

Thanks!

-Bill

ricksimmonsrafowens

2+ Year Member
    Oct 21, 2017
      I believe it's the USPSTF guidelines that are used by writers of APGO UWise question bank. I think the question writers are aware of conflicts in guidelines, and will not write questions that force students to use one guidelines over the other.

Reactions: 1 users

Dr G Oogle

2+ Year Member
      Mar 8, 2017
        Hey Everybody -

Quick question:

Does anyone know which guidelines are used on the OB/GYN shelf exam? ACOG and USPSTF guidelines differ in a few areas, such as mammography, and I'm not sure which we'll be tested on.

Thanks!

-Bill

They may test you an both but will specify which one they are asking about. The main difference is in mammography between usptf and acog. From what I remember though they don’t get to specific on screening questions, and there isn’t much about breast disease on the obgyn shelf unless things have changed drastically.

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads

BillrothI

7+ Year Member
        Feb 8, 2013
          They may test you an both but will specify which one they are asking about. The main difference is in mammography between usptf and acog. From what I remember though they don’t get to specific on screening questions, and there isn’t much about breast disease on the obgyn shelf unless things have changed drastically.

Thanks very much! Appreciate the heads-up.

-Bill

Dr G Oogle

2+ Year Member
          Mar 8, 2017
            In my experience, ACOG seems to go with screening mammograms every year past the age of 40 which are the ACS criteria.

In the general population they ACOG specifically recommends shared decision making I.e. discuss risks and benefits of screening in average risk women between 40-49 and start annual screening no later than 50, at age 55 if negative can discuss screening once every 2 years and then discuss r/b at age 75 but can dc screening after that

I honestly would not bother memorizing this, it is a level of detail seen only on OBgyn oral boards

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.