Quantcast

OB GYN Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm reading the Beckmann text for OB, and there are loads of questions on percentages. Are these really the kinds of questions I can expect on the shelf? If so, I might as well quit studying and hang out at a bar.

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
So I'm reading the Beckmann text for OB, and there are loads of questions on percentages. Are these really the kinds of questions I can expect on the shelf? If so, I might as well quit studying and hang out at a bar.

Nope, not at all. You should be more familiar with management of ob/gyn issues.

surprisedgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is doing the blueprintgs ob question book enough? or should i do more?

Roy7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about that too in terms what's needed to honor the shelf.

Everyone at my school and that I talk to doesnt seem to care 'bout honoring. Whenever I ask about a book they say "blueprints should be okay to pass". Well I'd really like to know what I've got to be reading to ensure a high honor on the shelf.

So far, here's my routine that i've been doing for the past week and a half: It got the books from recommendations here, and figuring how I basically owe them my medical degree might as well ask more).

2 chapters Blueprints daily (4 hrs approx)
2 case studies from casefiles (30 minutes usually when running around).
1 hr questions (so far they're pretest, but I'll probably be switching to world).
Reading B&W ob/gyn section again and again during the day (aleady read it once, but reinforcing).

I'm not a bright guy, so I gotta memorize as much as possible. But I dont think I can fit in more than 5-6 hrs daily (this is an average including on-call ).

Thanks.

Medstudentquest

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Everyone at my school and that I talk to doesnt seem to care 'bout honoring. Whenever I ask about a book they say "blueprints should be okay to pass". Well I'd really like to know what I've got to be reading to ensure a high honor on the shelf.

So far, here's my routine that i've been doing for the past week and a half: It got the books from recommendations here, and figuring how I basically owe them my medical degree might as well ask more).

1 hr questions (so far they're pretest, but I'll probably be switching to world).
Reading B&W ob/gyn section again and again during the day (aleady read it once, but reinforcing).

I'm not a bright guy, so I gotta memorize as much as possible. But I dont think I can fit in more than 5-6 hrs daily (this is an average including on-call ).

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, how do you fit 5-6 hrs/day of studying? I ask because when I did OB, I tried to go to sleep at about 10pm since I had to be up at about 4 to go in at 5am, and I got home in the evening on days I was not post call, so not much time for studying. Just curious. :)

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Thanks.

I'm jealous. That's a lot of studying per day, particularly on Ob/Gyn. I knew Blueprints cold, and I read Casefiles a couple days before the exam. I also did about 50 or so questions on Uwise, the online ob/gyn website. I was satisfied with my shelf score and I ended up doing very well on the rotation. If this is your first shelf, I would recommend doing a lot of questions so you can get used to the format. Good luck!

surprisedgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats the best ? book to use.....lange, blueprints Q&A (ive heard its good but only 200 ?s), pretest, uwise, kaplan qbook?

thanks!!!!!!!

Roy7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how do you fit 5-6 hrs/day of studying? I ask because when I did OB, I tried to go to sleep at about 10pm since I had to be up at about 4 to go in at 5am, and I got home in the evening on days I was not post call, so not much time for studying. Just curious. :)

Well I dont sleep much in general (4-6 hrs), then on non call days we get off at 4-5, so I exercise for an hour, study till 12, sleep till 5, wake up, get to school, try to fit in an extra hour of reading, do my round/presentation and then get started. I get an hour for lunch during which I usually just study, then there's always some down time when I just study (always have BW and casefiles on me).

We get one day off a week during which I can get in 5-6 hrs of studying while my gf sleeps, and on on-call nights things tend to be pretty quiet so I can get in 2-3 quality hours of studying.

Thanks for all the advice/help guys. I'll stick w/blueprints then as I guess its' the best.

goodies

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
when is your shelf, roy?

how soon before the shelf should we be studying??

Roy7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first rotation, so I have no idea how much Im' supposed to be studying... But my self is the 26th of september. Hopefully I'll have Blueprints and casefiles finished by the end of august/start of september, that gives me almost a month to go through it again and drown myself in questions.

I think i'm going to add in like an hour of questions after I finish the OB section of blueprints as my gyn is still decent from step 1.

surprisedgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
goodies, i have my shelf next fri and im just now startin to study.....i did a bit of reading during my rotations but more or less lacked motivation......i think i can get most of the material down by next fri (or at least i hope i can).....still just tryin to figure out what ? source to use!

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

WOW! I am truly amazed by how much you're studying. Good job! I totally didn't have that much motivation... just read Blueprints during the week before the test and did the questions in the back of Blueprints. I think the main point is knowing how to manage different situations, and much of that I learned on the actual rotation itself.

echinoderm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do we get access to uwise? how much does it cost?

as for uworld... how many questions does it have for ob/gyn? is it worth the price for just the shelf-preparation?

theophylline

thn we wll fght inth shad
Reaction score

Thanks.

Hey Roy, apologies for the naïveté but what is this B&W OB/GYN section you speak of? Thanks, :rolleyes: