OB/GYN signaling for 2024 match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoneHurtingJuice

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all - DO M4 applying OB/GYN here

The clinical admin at my school (and other schools from what I have heard) are pushing very hard for us to only apply to 18 programs since we have 18 signals, citing program director surveys from last year with the predominant message that they would be very unlikely to interview applicants that don't signal them. From what I understand, the 18 signals (3 gold, 15 silver) were piloted in OB/GYN last year but PDs seemed to like it according to aforementioned PD surveys.

It would make me very nervous to only apply to 18 programs. But as I weed through the signaling data on Texas Star, there are for sure a ton of programs that don't interview many people that don't signal them (eg. >80% that signaled got interviews, <15% that didn't signal got interviews), but then there are programs that don't seem to care much (eg. 40% who signaled got interviews, 30% who didn't signal got interviews).

Is it a reasonable plan to apply to 30-35 programs and signal the ones who obviously care about signals and don't signal the ones who don't care? Should I apply to more? The signaling was technically a pilot last year, so I'm wondering if many of the programs that "didn't care" last year will care more this year.

For the sake of guidance with regard to my own application: passed step+level 1, step 2 252, level 2 still waiting on score. Good LORs, 2 honors, 2 high passes, remainder were passes. Assume the rest of my application is dead average (because it probably is).

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.