OB/GYN Starting Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nissangtr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are your friends/colleagues/residents getting starting offers for in ob/gyn?

and what does an average attending in a group make, say, after 3-5 years in practice?

Members don't see this ad.

what are your friends/colleagues/residents getting starting offers for in ob/gyn?

and what does an average attending in a group make, say, after 3-5 years in practice?
im sorry if this is disrespectful, just have to wonder why a junior member with a title of "nissangtr" is wondering how much $$$ a OB/GYN makes :D

can somebody answer the question.............

Members don't see this ad :)
If your a student member of ACOG you can log into their website and check out all their many job listings to see what people are offering. Here are a couple of other sites that offer OB/GYN jobs and list starting salaries (I in no way endorse these sites nor am I affiliated with them, I simply use them as a way to see what the current job market looks like for the specialty I am interested in):

http://www.physicianrecruiting.com/

http://www.merritthawkins.com/job-search/job-search.aspx

Salaries vary significantly based on geography, practice type, practice size, and on local and temporal "competition". Getting quotes from individuals or even from polls will not be representative of what you may find when you enter the workforce. All you need to know is that it pays well enough to support yourself and your family in a comfortable way that allows you to pay off your debts and accrue some savings/retirement. To quote an old mentor of mine, "there is no money in medicine."

What i post is hearsay. In California Bay Area about 2 year ago, right out of residency, someone was making about 100K working at a local San Francisco hospital.

170-200-k is on the low end for ob/gyn starting salaries. if you go out to the boonies, you can make well over 300-k just outta residency.

i want to find out real-world averages not what's on online salary surveys.........satisfied?

I would say the STARTING of around 170 is pretty accurate here in the South. It should bump up to around 250 in a few years average from what I've seen/heard. I don't know if many OBGYNs make 300+ anymore, unless they only accept cash and the high-end insurance patients and work their butts off also. The figure of 100 is definitely low. Anybody working OBGYN for that is kinda stupid. Not to mention that 100 a year for living in glittery San Fran is indeed low.

salaries are varied according to
private or federal positions
200K for starting salary with 6 calls per month is pretty standard for government positions
The private sector does offer more in rural areas the most I have seen is 450K for rural midwest but you are the solo OB in a group of internist performing 80+ deliveries a month.

It depends on the lifestyle you want. Regardless of where you will work you will always have more intensive calls than other primary care providers.

I'm curious about this as well. I just moved to a very large city and am kinda shocked about how few gyns there are (specifically female! gyns) and how long it takes to get an appointment in. In a large city, I would expect that there would be many more but when I called the earliest appointment was 4 months away - mostly because the women all worked part time.

A lot of them also did not accept insurance - one was charging $500 for a consultation fee??? Another $250 for a general checkup? Do people actually pay these prices???

I'm curious about this as well. I just moved to a very large city and am kinda shocked about how few gyns there are (specifically female! gyns) and how long it takes to get an appointment in. In a large city, I would expect that there would be many more but when I called the earliest appointment was 4 months away - mostly because the women all worked part time.

A lot of them also did not accept insurance - one was charging $500 for a consultation fee??? Another $250 for a general checkup? Do people actually pay these prices???
Apparently surveys show that even though more patients prefer female ob/gyns males still end up with higher salaries, probably because of these reasons (the long waits for the female docs/hours worked).
I find it annoying when patients insist on seeing a female doctor because often there'll be a whole bunch of males available at the hospital but since a patient insists on seeing a female they have to just sit around and do nothing and everyone has to wait for a female ob/gyn to be available.
Thankfully for the guys though there's enough demand that it's usually not a problem to find work but still it's a little unfair how much more in demand the female OB/GYNs are when there's pretty much no chance that there's anything even remotely sexual about having to take care of your UTI/STD/etc!
FWIW I actually find that males seem to be less judgmental of their patients since they're less likely to mentally compare their patients to themselves for obvious reasons. This is obviously a large generalization, but it's a lot easier for a female doc their patient's GxPx status compared to their own, whereas male docs tend to only compare their patients histories mentally to other histories they've seen.