ob/gyn w/o the ob?

Started by marie337
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

marie337

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a new MS1, so yes I have a while to figure this all out. I worked for about 5 years in an Ob/Gyn clinic and really loved it. I've always ruled it out as a specialty because of the hours. I'm wondering though if there is any demand for a gynecologist who doesn't practice ob. I know that I could potentially work at a university or maybe a community health office. But, I would rather have my own practice if possible. What do you think?
 
marie337 said:
I'm a new MS1, so yes I have a while to figure this all out. I worked for about 5 years in an Ob/Gyn clinic and really loved it. I've always ruled it out as a specialty because of the hours. I'm wondering though if there is any demand for a gynecologist who doesn't practice ob. I know that I could potentially work at a university or maybe a community health office. But, I would rather have my own practice if possible. What do you think?
There are many who do this.Often established practitioners start out doing both OB/GYN and build up a patient following and shift out of OB to focus on GYN.Their emphasis is on surgical GYN procedures.Or you can do a subspecialty in GYN oncology or a fertility based practice.If you are interested in womans health without OB or the surgical orientation of GYN then consider Family Practice.It will be far less stress,night call etc,and malpractice premiums are much more realistic.Less income however.
 
marie337 said:
I'm a new MS1, so yes I have a while to figure this all out. I worked for about 5 years in an Ob/Gyn clinic and really loved it. I've always ruled it out as a specialty because of the hours. I'm wondering though if there is any demand for a gynecologist who doesn't practice ob. I know that I could potentially work at a university or maybe a community health office. But, I would rather have my own practice if possible. What do you think?


My gyn does this - she specialises in laproscopic/gyn surgery, does some infertility but no obs. She is in a practice with one other OB/GYN (happens to be her husband), as far as I can tell he sees mostly obs patients. It's great for her because she has no call except emergencies with her surg patients, which would be pretty rare. Not so good for him though, he shares call with 2 OB/GYNs from another practice, so that makes things easier, but still not fantastic IMO.

It's a lovely practice and I have had conversations about this with her as she knows I am interested in infertility or gyn (I began seeing her when I started med, after a very long process of trying to find a gyn surgeon in Sydney who wasn't a lecturer at my school, so she knew my med background). She said it was the best decision she ever made to focus on gyn rather than try to do both, and her husband would do the same except that he loves the baby factor of obs so much! Good income, great lifestyle, no call - sounds pretty good to me!

This is in Australia but I think it would be similar in the US.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is actuallu possible, albeit hard if you are coming fresh out of residency. Options always include specializing in Urogyn, Gyn Onc, or REI. This can land you in a private practice setting. The other way to go about it is, as yourself mentioned, to work within a specialized clinic (you'll find a lot of these in the larger cities) such as the planned parenthoods, etc. and focus primarily on GYN. Keep in mind that your pay may not necessarily be as high and that you may limit your job search. Other than this, you won't find many places that will let you do GYN only as a newbie.

I do agree w/the above post though. If you are already concerned about hours, then this field may not be the ideal option for you.

Good luck!