OB/GYN @ Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know any details about the program at Yale? Anything would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

No direct experience, but from what I remember about looking them up - they were really internal medicine heavy (which can appeal to some people, but didn't to me). They required a letter from the IM chair also, and the ob/gyn applicant had to be qualified to be an IM resident as well as an Ob/gyn resident. I'm not sure what that would mean, other than that I would have had to do a medicine rotation during 4th year also. Also, a very expensive area to live that wasn't looking good as far as job market for my husband. The program itself looked pretty good as far as covering all the bases though.

You have to get an IM letter (but not necessarily from the chair.) I got one from an attending that I had during 3rd year and did not do an IM rotation during my 4th year. From what I remember, during your intern year at Yale you do one month in the MICU and one month on inpatient internal medicine.

I interviewed there and was impressed - very strong clinical training with all the subspecialties represented with fellowship opportunities. They have a great record for placing their grads into fellowship. The only downside is New Haven itself - I wasn't interested in living there.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually, new haven is probably one of the most affordable places to live in the northeast, and potentially the east coast itself. A fabulous apartment for under $1000? Also, with a roommate ive paid less than $500 for more than 6 years

I've heard that it's not necessary to drive in New Haven. Is that true?

it depends. some people, esp students live downtown right near the campus and do not have cars. that being said, a lot of residents choose to live in the graduate student neighborhood (east rock) which is a great area of old victorian houses converted to apts with tree lined streets and a big park. Others, especially ppl looking to purchase condos or homes live in the suburbs around new haven like hamden, and branford ct.

if you live downtown, you dont *need* a car, and there is a shuttle to the hospital from the east rock, but i found a car helpful to get groceries, go to the mall or boston post road, get out of town on the weekends, etc... if you live in east rock or hamden you definitely need a car to get to work on time. parking at the hospital is subsidized for residents and car insurance isnt too bad in CT (but im from nyc, so not a great judge).

good luck,
wex

Now all I gotta do is get a driver's license.:D

Anyone have any more perspective on Yale?

I would also love to hear any opinions on the program

hello my name is Andre
I´m from Argentina. I´m going to do a rotation in Yale and I need a place to live. Can you tell me where did you rent yours? Thank you