Ob/Gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarolRossMD68

GO BUCKS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman at Ohio State...I am interested in OB/Gyn but I am not sure what to do about getting a feel for the profession? Should I shadow a doctor in a private practice or at the hospital? Any other things I need to consider?

Members don't see this ad.

You really should do both - they're completely different worlds. Many OB/GYN rotations understand this, though, and will have you doing stuff in clinic as well as on the wards. As a freshman in college, you can also find private practitioners or follow ward attendings, but I generally find shadowing not a high-yield experience. <shrug> anyone else have ideas?

I will be starting DO school August and I have a strong interest in being an OB/Gyn. For any current students/residents in OB/Gyn what made you choose this specialty? Was it a gut feeling that this was what you were suppose to do? Did you decide before starting med school that you wanted to do it or was it a result of rotations, etc... You see I just have this strong feeling that this is my calling yet I have not started classes yet or had any clinical experience in the area( I am addicted to the "Maternity Ward" tv show that comes on TLC). I guess I am questioning your motives because I am very interested in NHSC Scholarship and I want to get as much feedback about the specialty from those who are in this specialty. Any response would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

hey nettaw,
i'm just about in the same boat as you (i'm waiting to hear from a particular DO school) anyways. i'm interested in ob/gyn also and am addicted to maternity ward and birthday. i haven't had much clinical experience either. this summer i did get to shadow an ob/gyn and some med students for one night. ( i was at a summer program at NJMS) but i feel you. i want to know more about wy other students chose it. i also feel very drawn to it. but i want to know more about the hours (in residency and after i start practicing cuz i want to eventually have a family) :love:
any feedback would be great.:)
-EMW