OBAMACARE: How would it effects Independent Pharmacies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CompoundingRX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I owned 2 independent pharmacies. What do you think about this bill. How badly will it effects the independent pharmacies.
Well, I owned my pharmacies for 20 years now, simi-retire..:cool: golfing, traveling most of the times. My pharmacies: 1 is doing retail plus lot of compounding rx. and the other is doing ALF. Each pharmacy has gross income of $4.9 milllion and $5.8 Million.

please let me know how do you all think about this our future of America & American.?

Any comments would greatly contribute to the community.

GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Members don't see this ad.

I wondered this, too... actually, how will this AFFECT pharmacies, period???

I think I overheard something about getting rid of the donut hole of Medicare Part D.... true? not true?

I think I overheard something about getting rid of the donut hole of Medicare Part D.... true? not true?

The reconciliation bill passed by the House is supposed to close the donut hole, but since I'm still reading the main act, I haven't gotten around to it yet. The Senate also needs to vote on, and pass, the reconciliation act before it can become law.

Members don't see this ad :)
It wants to expand opportunities for MTM, not sure how.

It wants to expand opportunities for MTM, not sure how.

More importantly, are the reimbursement rates going to be any better than the ones that were already offered for medicare part D patients?

I'm pretty sure the low reimbursement is reason it never really took off. we had a MTM lab the other week and the one thing that was repeated over and over again is that you can not have a pharmacist do all the work or it just won't be profitable.

I guess the only other option is to simplify the paperwork/documentation, which is also pretty unlikely if you ask me.

The donut hole starts at $2,700 and continues until out of pocket reaches $4,350. The healthcare bill is currently giving a... wait for it... $250 rebate to those in the coverage gap. In 2011, this will be changed to a 50% discount.

• That will be a 3.8 percent tax on investment income for families making more than $250,000 per year ($200,000 for individuals).
  • The Medicare payroll tax is raised to 2.35 percent from 1.45 percent for individuals earning more than $200,000 and married couples with incomes over $250,000.

Not cool... coz I am planning to be rich not poor forever, I know I will be making $200,000/year for a couple more year before I get married (assuming I get married to a poor girl making less than $50k)... and my investment income will also be taxed... :thumbdown:

On the other side, it's been good for a bum I guess...

anyone feel like we are being punished for working our a** off?

Moving the the NCPA sub-forum as this thread concerns independent pharmacy. They may have some comments to offer if they happen to see this thread.

Bad move, this sub-forum is dead.

When the NHS came in to the UK in 1948, pharmacy enjoyed 60 years of boom time. Many pts had obtained most meds from Drs before and seldom visited a pharmacy.
As I understand it, your new system is to make health insurance compulsory like car insurance. This will have no effect at all on the welfare junkies who will continue paying nothing.
johnep

In the research I have done so far, pharmacies and doctors and patients are the winners and insurance companies have it both ways (win-lose)
For pharmacies, there will be more prescriptions, more med scripts and more patients that the volume you currently see.

Only those who are business inclined will fashion out how it will work for them. But bottom line is there will be more business volume and more patients.

NCPA produced an analysis of all the Health Care Reform bill's major provisions affecting community pharmacy. This document is available on the NCPA Member's Only website and represents NCPA's best interpretation at this time.

To access this document, please visit www.ncpanet.org and Login with your individual membership number and password. If you are having difficulties accessing the Member's Only website or document and you are an NCPA member, contact NCPA at 703.683.8200. If you are interested in becoming an NCPA student member, you can also join on the NCPA website or contact the Associate Director of Student affairs at [email protected].

More scripts maybe, but the margin on filling scripts is already too low to make an independent pharmacy successful long-term unless you offer ancillary services. Adding MTM as an ancillary service could be an interesting idea, but only if it's gonna pay.

NCPA produced an analysis of all the Health Care Reform bill's major provisions affecting community pharmacy. This document is available on the NCPA Member's Only website and represents NCPA's best interpretation at this time.

To access this document, please visit www.ncpanet.org and Login with your individual membership number and password. If you are having difficulties accessing the Member's Only website or document and you are an NCPA member, contact NCPA at 703.683.8200. If you are interested in becoming an NCPA student member, you can also join on the NCPA website or contact the Associate Director of Student affairs at [email protected].

no offense, but why not post some highlights? membership dues are a bit expensive

no offense, but why not post some highlights? membership dues are a bit expensive

NCPA offers membership to student pharmacists for only $25 a year! NCPA student membership includes access to all member benefits and offers pharmacy students a wide array of opportunities to broaden and enrich their educational experience, gain valuable real world skills, earn scholarships and have fun in the process. Our mission is to encourage, foster, and recognize an interest in community pharmacy ownership and entrepreneurship among the future leaders of the profession.

In a news release on March 22, NCPA commended the inclusion of pharmacy provisions in the house-passed health care reform bill. The most noteworthy provisions in the health care bill scale back drastic cuts in reimbursement levels for Medicaid generic prescription drugs; require limited disclosure from pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs) operating in the new "exchanges" in an effort to hold down costs; and exempt most pharmacies from the Medicare Part B Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics and Supplies (DMEPOS) accreditation requirement until January 2011. To continue reading the press release, visit the following link on the NCPA webpage:http://www.ncpanet.org/media/releases/ncpacomhcr.php.

At this time, a deeper analysis of the Health Care Reform bill is available to members only though our summary document and an upcoming NCPA government affairs Town Hall on April 28.