OBGYN forced to resign

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xresident

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
did 2 years but didn't like the atmosphere, i had been placed on probation once, and I saw everything good that I did would never reach the PD, but one mistake would reach his ears so fast.
by the end of last year I was placed on probation due to poor performance, I understand and accept it, this place had a much busier gyn service and complex gyn onc service, my prior training was very slow in gyn.... I didn't pass probation and should resign, basically it was a chairman decision. I understand that they were mad of prior probation but at the same time they have screwed me real bad.
Two separate programs put you on probation, and one of these programs said you failed the probationary period. For you to succeed in getting in somewhere else and graduating from it, you really need to figure out what you were doing wrong without making it sound like the programs' fault as you do here. You're going to need to explain the probations and how you've changed to any program that might take you, and displacing the blame won't go over well. Also, if you can't identify and fix the problem, it will likely continue being a problem.

You don't have to say it here, but I hope for your sake that you really do consider what you were doing wrong.

Reactions: 7 users
it seems like you are convinced that you were unjustly wronged twice...you might want to evaluate what your weaknesses are because two programs now say they exist

my advice is to find that weakness and address it

Reactions: 8 users
Not to pile on but I think that until you understand how you are screwing up and take ownership of it (something you aren't doing in a post where you seem to be playing up positive comments and boards and ignoring the places two programs now have felt you came up short) you will have a tough time surviving any residency, let alone getting into one. I also think you are unrealistic thinking you are going to "fail up" i.e. get thrown out of obgyn and end up in something more competitive. You are going to be lucky getting the least competitive spot in the least competitive fields with your background. Put anesthesia, radiology, and the better regarded IM programs and the like out of your mind.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all, im a IMG J-1 visa that started obgyn residency in july 2013, did 2 years but didn't like the atmosphere, i had been placed on probation once, and I saw everything good that I did would never reach the PD, but one mistake would reach his ears so fast. Close attending there told me I would be better at another training program, the program was very malignant. So the PD told me I could get credit for 2 years and leave in peace, which I did, with good letters of recommendation from the faculty. I decided to apply for pgy-2 and pgy-3 and eventually got a pgy-2 at a better hospital. When they interviewed me I said i wanted to change because i wanted better training, never mentioned probation. The new PD never spoke with previous PD and looks like they never found out, and I was unaware of this. Reports of my last evaluation came by and by the end of last year I was placed on probation due to poor performance, I understand and accept it, this place had a much busier gyn service and complex gyn onc service, my prior training was very slow in gyn. I was advanced in oB though. I was extra careful on probation time, there were really no complaints and job was being done properly. During mid probation time i saw my PD and he told me this month you have satisfactory evaluation in out areas, keep it up. One month later the PD and chairman told me I didn't pass probation and should resign, basically it was a chairman decision. I understand that they were mad of prior probation but at the same time they have screwed me real bad. I scored on the top 70 percent on the in training national boards-i just got the results. Before I leaved i obtained a decent letter from my PD and good letter from other attendings. I was thinking applying to IM, anesthesiology or do 1 year of research in rads and then apply there. I would love to continue obgyn training but the path looks very hard with this bad experience. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thank you all!

I do think it's important to have insight into one's strengths and weaknesses. Not everyone is good at everything and that is ok. People need to be able to internally think and say - hey am I good at this? I think it's possible for people to fail in one program and it not necessarily be that they are incompetent, some programs are malignant out there. I think it's unlikely that someone would fail out of a second program though, especially when there is no previous knowledge of a failure/probation.

I'm sorry you are going through this, it has to be difficult, but I think it's important to be serious about the reality here. Like someone else said, it's highly unlikely that you would be able to transfer up - you already had the great opportunity to transfer to a program in the same specialty in a different hospital, which is quite difficult to do, and now trying to transfer to a DIFFERENT specialty is highly unlikely. I'm sorry, and I'm one of the typically very optimistic people who think most things are possible. In this case I think it would be difficult for a PD to want to take on someone who has failed twice.

I would suggest trying to get into a non-competitive, and spot plentiful specialty, whether it is FM, peds, psych, etc.
I would certainly put Anesthesia, Rads, IM out of your mind, as those are specialties that have plenty of decent applicants, both US and foreign. I think the fact you are a foreign grad with 2 failures though will make it difficult, I'm sorry.

I would suggest if you have a program in your hospital to talk to the PD and see if you can work something out.

Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
You are in big trouble.

Let's be 100% clear here -- you have failed out of two residencies now. The first one may have a "you have failed out" letter attached to it, but that's what was going to happen and you were told to transfer somewhere else. What you should have done is work as hard as you could to succeed in the second residency, rather than blaming your first for your problems. Now you're failing out of your second.

So, bad news all around:

1. As mentioned before, you may had difficulty finding a spot. Since the match just happened, it's very bad timing.
2. Trying to get something competitive may be difficult. That said, anesthesia and radiology appear to be getting less competitive.
3. You are on a J-1 visa. If your job ends, you have 30 days to get a new one or your visa ends and you are out of status. You can't get a J-1 visa for a research position. If your job ends, you will need to leave the US.

You mentioned that your second program "screwed you real bad". Actually, this is all on you. You were given a second chance, which is rare, and you blew it.

Reactions: 9 users
I scored on the top 70 percent on the in training national boards-i just got the results.

Just to clarify-- you scored in the top 70%, which means you scored better than 30% of the residents in the country? Or you scored at the 70th %ile, which means you scored better than 70% of the residents in the country? If it's the first, that's not terribly impressive. If it's the second... it's not bad.

But I agree with the others. Two programs found you lacking. You need to figure out why and stop blaming them.

Reactions: 2 users
aPD laid things out nicely.

Why not consider FP? This will let you use some OB skills but also gives you a large number of programs in a less competitive field to apply to (hint: apply to all you can afford given your residency history).

Just to clarify-- you scored in the top 70%, which means you scored better than 30% of the residents in the country? Or you scored at the 70th %ile, which means you scored better than 70% of the residents in the country? If it's the first, that's not terribly impressive. If it's the second... it's not bad...

Test scores only matter for the people who aren't already failing out of their programs. OP could have the top score in the nation and it would be absolutely meaningless because two places already found OP inadequate on the clinical aspects of residency. We see too many people on SDN get hung up on numbers that nobody cares about if you aren't able to do the job. Basic science years with their emphasis on test scores are over -- it's now all about evaluations and perceptions once you are in residency.

So if you are getting kicked out of residency and still saying "but I scored in the top 70%..." You just aren't getting it. Focusing on one unimportant tree and missing the forest. The resident everybody loves who barely passed his test will be much more successful - that's the rules of this game.

And I again think saying "failed out of OBGYN twice, so maybe I can do gas, rads or IM" shows that OP doesn't see the big picture. While I agree with aPD that gas and rads are perhaps less competitive than they once were, that's really not the same as the noncompetitive fields, and I still think they are solidly within the pack of "competitive enough that OP has no business dreaming of them". They are frankly "failing up" and OP is going the opposite direction on this specialty staircase. If OP can get the most malignant, undesirable spot in any less competitive field (FP, psych, path, underserved community IM, etc), I will be shocked and OP should grab it immediately, because third chances aren't easy to come by.

Reactions: 7 users
Test scores only matter for the people who aren't already failing out of their programs. OP could have the top score in the nation and it would be absolutely meaningless because two places already found OP inadequate on the clinical aspects of residency. We see too many people on SDN get hung up on numbers that nobody cares about if you aren't able to do the job. Basic science years with their emphasis on test scores are over -- it's now all about evaluations and perceptions once you are in residency.

So if you are getting kicked out of residency and still saying "but I scored in the top 70%..." You just aren't getting it. Focusing on one unimportant tree and missing the forest. The resident everybody loves who barely passed his test will be much more successful - that's the rules of this game.

And I again think saying "failed out of OBGYN twice, so maybe I can do gas, rads or IM" shows that OP doesn't see the big picture. While I agree with aPD that gas and rads are perhaps less competitive than they once were, that's really not the same as the noncompetitive fields, and I still think they are solidly within the pack of "competitive enough that OP has no business dreaming of them". They are frankly "failing up" and OP is going the opposite direction on this specialty staircase. If OP can get the most malignant, undesirable spot in any less competitive field (FP, psych, path, underserved community IM, etc), I will be shocked and OP should grab it immediately, because third chances aren't easy to come by.

She'll probably get canned a third time if she goes to such a program lol

Is it even realistic for OP to think he might get a third try? I mean who is likely to even consider a person who has failed out of two residencies.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

She'll probably get canned a third time if she goes to such a program lol
If he can figure out where he's screwing up and fix it, things may go differently. That's the lesson here.

But If he's still going to be the same person who wrote "I scored top 70% on my In service" and who is focusing on the once or twice her program thought he did "satisfactory" and said "keep it up" before being surprised that his "program screwed [him] real bad" when she apparently didn't "keep it up", I don't see things panning out any better a third time.

The OPs issue is one of insight. If you can't see your own screw ups, you will never fix them, and are doomed to repeat them. I've seen a lot of this in residency and it's frustrating because often such person is the only one not appreciating that he/she is tanking. And if things he sees as important (eg in service scores) aren't nearly as important to his PD, he may fool himself into thinking he is doing fine.

I really appreciate everyone response in this forum. I am aware of my weakness and strengths. Main weakness is being too quite and that I took things for granted, also my case presentation was not the best, specially when trying to summarize complex gyn onc patients. However I noticed a clear disparity between me and american residents. Being a male foreigner obgyn resident is very hard. OBGYN is a very difficult field, among the first 2 specialties where people switch or are let go. Its sad to see that on my first program the ex chief resident (as a pgy-2) didn't listen to a patients permanent complaints, who later delivered a baby that fall on the floor and died, she graduated and is practicing now. I have so many examples but I cannot write them. Everyone knows residency is not fair. I would gladly take psychiatry as I have been always interested in that field and sometimes find it fascinating. However I'll try the other specialties I mentioned first as it doesn't hurt to apply. I took the MCCEE for Canada a few days ago just in case too. My main goal is to become a physician and take care of patients, I would really like to help people that struggle with residency too. I will post any news, Australia is on my mind too.

Look, while I sympathize that "residency is not always fair" issue, because it's not, it's also the case that a-most residents don't fail, b-I have never heard of a resident failing twice, in the SAME field, and as an IMG!
It's hard to match as an IMG. It's certainly super hard to be given a second shot as an IMG, and unfortunately you were given that possibility and did not make it. I have found it very frequently that many many many IMGs complain non-stop about their residency programs - I remember intern year one of the categorical medicine IMG residents would complain non-stop about the large # of admissions, about the # of calls, etc. This was repeated many times by a number of other IMG residents in a number of other specialties. I was like wtf? You all are foreign and have been granted a precious opportunity yet you are complaining?!

Residency is hard - OB residency is even harder, and you were given the option, the gift of practicing that specialty in the US which is many people's dream. You blew it, I'm sorry to say. I was sympathetic but clearly you lack insight.

Whatever you did wrong in the first program you clearly did not learn to change in the second program. I am "quiet" too, but I am also known as a very strong resident, I can synthesize info like no other, I am quick, efficient, awsome at procedures to the point where attendings allow me to do them independently unlike other residents - none of that has to do with me being "quiet".

You need to do some serious soul searching here. You'd have higher chances of winning the lottery than failing out of 2 residency programs.

I really appreciate everyone response in this forum. I am aware of my weakness and strengths. Main weakness is being too quite and that I took things for granted, also my case presentation was not the best, specially when trying to summarize complex gyn onc patients. However I noticed a clear disparity between me and american residents. Being a male foreigner obgyn resident is very hard. OBGYN is a very difficult field, among the first 2 specialties where people switch or are let go. Its sad to see that on my first program the ex chief resident (as a pgy-2) didn't listen to a patients permanent complaints, who later delivered a baby that fall on the floor and died, she graduated and is practicing now. I have so many examples but I cannot write them. Everyone knows residency is not fair. I would gladly take psychiatry as I have been always interested in that field and sometimes find it fascinating. However I'll try the other specialties I mentioned first as it doesn't hurt to apply. I took the MCCEE for Canada a few days ago just in case too. My main goal is to become a physician and take care of patients, I would really like to help people that struggle with residency too. I will post any news, Australia is on my mind too.
i think you are still not getting it. Looking at others who you feel screwed up worse doesn't vindicate you. And as mentioned, your attendings and PD didn't agree that your shortcomings were minor-- two programs deemed you unsatisfactory. You need to figure out why and fix this. You didn't get fired twice just for being quiet or being mediocre at case presentations. And saying being male, foreign and the field being hard are kind of cop outs -- I know other male foreigners who survived OBGYN residency and frankly this is going to be true in every field -- you'll still be foreign and the expectations in most fields will be high. So figure out what your real issues were and own them -- I don't think you've wrapped your mind around them at all yet.

Total waste of time to apply to those competitive programs above IMHO but it's your money. I suspect until you figure out how to be a good resident (no you absolutely haven't yet) you will hit the same kind of hurdles in any field, particularly since you'll be scrutinized much much more significantly given your prior probations and dismissals.

You should make an appointment with your PD and sit down for a honest discussion of what's going on and how you can improve in any future attempts. If you have any faculty that you feel close to that would give you honest feedback and criticism, you should talk with them.

Your chances for a third chance is slim, but you have zero room for error if you get it. You need to figure out what went wrong and make sure it never happens again.

Reactions: 1 users

if it was only one residency that you failed out of maybe it could be an issue , but please it is sad and pathetic (and shows NO insight) that you have to pull the i'm a foreigner and that's why people don't like me...

you need to take a good look at yourself and the mistakes that you made that got you fired from not one but 2 residencies...at least you have the fall back of practicing in your home country.

The second place put me on probation because they didn't know I was on probation at some point on my previous program. That is my fault yes, they didn't know and they never talked to my previous PD either. I finished 2 years in my first program and was told I won't get upgraded, then I signed a resignation letter and leaved in peace with good Lors from faculty. The second program terminated me and told me to resign, this looks way worse. Since the chairman found out I had a probation period in my first program, and that I didn't mention this in the interview he made up his mind. Senior residents and attendings were surprised by my sudden leave on the program. I have made mistakes and still need to improve a lot of things but their final decision was done based on what I just explained.

Last edited:
They put you on probation because they didn't know you were on probation at the initial program?
Sounds like it should be on them and not you - it's their responsibility to talk to the previous PD.

Hm. I dunno, maybe there's more to it or not. Tough break

Program 2 didn't get the Carfax when they offered you the job and they felt cheated by you and your prior program when your failures cropped up again. Struggling residents are an incredible use of resources and there is nothing that predicts failure like failure.

You were not treated unfairly at two separate programs. In fact, the first program did you the incredible service of failing to mention your failures prior to letting you transfer (if anything, that speaks to their kindness over their character).

You are able to get a license with 2 years of good training. I have no idea if there is a job in a prison or some other crappy location that will take a J-1 visa MD who did not complete residency but, if I were you, I'd spend all night on google looking for those sort of jobs and applying to them all.

They found out because the previous records came and they ask me, I said yes. This was 4 months after beginning. I never said that I had unfair treat in my first program. Struggling residents are still residents, maybe one day your life will be on the hands of a physician who did struggle during residency, and he will help you. There may be countless examples of this.

They found out because the previous records came and they ask me, I said yes. This was 4 months after beginning. I never said that I had unfair treat in my first program. Struggling residents are still residents, maybe one day your life will be on the hands of a physician who did struggle during residency, and he will help you. There may be countless examples of this.

They didn't have any information on you until after you started?
They just went off your interview and accepted you on the spot?
When I switched specialties, they had a chat with my former PD and chair. I also had provided a page of references and they contacted some of them. They reviewed my previous ERAS application file too. Everything checked out and the switch went without a hitch after I interviewed and the contract was offered.

They reviewed my Eras app too they had most of the things except for the last 6 months, I was on probation 3 months. Some attendings of my prior place call on my behalf to recommend me however the PD of place 2 never contacted the PD of place 1.

Did they ask you if you were on probation?
I'm amazed that the PD didn't talk to your former PD.

They never asked if I was on probation until 4 months after beginning residency when they got the last part of my records. I was offered money if I resigned and did not do an appealing process. I would have never appealed or sue because I don't want to stain my name against a hospital. I could have won but also I could have loose, and losing means not even having a future slight chance in any other specialty.

They never asked if I was on probation until 4 months after beginning residency when they got the last part of my records. I was offered money if I resigned and did not do an appealing process. I would have never appealed or sue because I don't want to stain my name against a hospital. I could have won but also I could have loose, and losing means not even having a future slight chance in any other specialty.

I hope lots and lots of $$

Not really

Was this at a community program? Usually they are less stringent in terminations.

Also, how big is your class? Any prior foreign residents being fired the same way as you? Maybe there is in fact a trend in mistreating IMGs.

It was a community program, affiliated to a university. There was a prior african american that was fired. He sued them and won and came back to the program, that was 3 years ago when I was not part of the program. They didn't pay me to resign but they put the terms saying if you resign you get this package because we want to help you, if you appeal and you get fired you don't get anything.

Either that...or the physician who struggled in residency will kill you. One of the two. High stakes game we play here.

They didn't have any information on you until after you started?
They just went off your interview and accepted you on the spot?
When I switched specialties, they had a chat with my former PD and chair. I also had provided a page of references and they contacted some of them. They reviewed my previous ERAS application file too. Everything checked out and the switch went without a hitch after I interviewed and the contract was offered.

To be fair I also switched specialties and they never talked to my previous PD, although I had no issues at my previous or current residency program.

It was a community program, affiliated to a university. There was a prior african american that was fired. He sued them and won and came back to the program, that was 3 years ago when I was not part of the program. They didn't pay me to resign but they put the terms saying if you resign you get this package because we want to help you, if you appeal and you get fired you don't get anything.

This is a pretty standard deal for programs who don't feel that their residents are perfoming well but don't want to harm them. Resigning vs being fired is what a kind program does, vs. firing them and putting that on their record. So it was nice of the program esp. if they gave you decent letters. Also I don't think they would have put you on probation on program #2 had no issues been happening - why would a program put you on probation again if you are doing fine?
Again I'm sorry you are going through this, but you need to be more realistic here.

The second place put me on probation because they didn't know I was on probation at some point on my previous program.

This is almost certainly not exactly true. If your performance was fine, they wouldn't have cared about your prior performance and never have even asked. What almost certainly happened is that your performance was below standards. Once that was noticed, they then contacted your prior program for more details, and discovered that you had problems there. I'm guessing, but I bet this is what happened.

Does your university have any noncompetitive residencies looking for residents? Would your program help you get there? These are the questions to ask right now. You need a residency in anything (even nuc med if they would take you).

APD s right, my performance had deficiencies, I've said this before. However the main reason for probation was that they received the last records. Probation time went well according to my chiefs residents and attendings.

APD s right, my performance had deficiencies, I've said this before...

Saying this doesn't really mean much when you continue on to say your program "screwed you real bad". You have to own your failures, not just gloss over them. You essentially failed out of two residencies because of subpar performance. You are kidding yourself if one probation led to another and you had nothing to do with it.

I think i know who the OP is....i believe i worked with him during csections, i felt his surgical skills were on par with his peers

I think i know who the OP is....i believe i worked with him during csections, i felt his surgical skills were on par with his peers
Again we all agree that he probably does a few things fine, but lacks insight and focus on all the things he apparently isn't doing right. You would help him a lot more by telling him the things he isn't on par with. Good surgical skills are meaningless if he can't stay in a residency.

Again we all agree that he probably does a few things fine, but lacks insight and focus on all the things he apparently isn't doing right. You would help him a lot more by telling him the things he isn't on par with. Good surgical skills are meaningless if he can't stay in a residency.

Isn't that the OP's faculty and PD's responsibility?

Isn't that the OP's faculty and PD's responsibility?
In conjunction with putting him on probation I am sure they did. A lot of people though seem to manage to be obtuse. the OP has posted a few things that suggest a lack of insight into his failings and a lack of ownership.

APD s right, my performance had deficiencies, I've said this before. However the main reason for probation was that they received the last records. Probation time went well according to my chiefs residents and attendings.

Something is still not adding up here. Either you have convinced yourself that they put you on probation for being previously on probation at another program, meaning you lack insight as countless people here have already pointed out (because I highly doubt a program would do this to someone performing well, especially causing them to be one man down in a small program like OB-GYN would be terrible), or you are miss-interpreting the grounds of your dismissal.

What has happened to you is unfortunate and I feel for you. I know our words may sound harsh but you must face reality before you can have any hope of salvaging a career.

Last edited:
It adds up. Probation and departure from first program. Started having difficulties at second program and they then discovered that the difficulties at first program. The fact that there was a history made the leadership of program 2 more inclined to take a formal approach to the situation. And they were probably pissed to find that out after the fact.

It adds up. Probation and departure from first program. Started having difficulties at second program and they then discovered that the difficulties at first program. The fact that there was a history made the leadership of program 2 more inclined to take a formal approach to the situation. And they were probably pissed to find that out after the fact.
The "Started having difficulties at the second program" is the part about which OP seems not to have much insight, and is probably the bigger reason for the probation. As was mentioned you don't put someone on probation for having previously been on probation, but you might keep them on a shorter leash.

I completely agree
I was simply

Some of the posters seem to have the idea that being hyper-competent in one area of residency makes up for being incompetent in another. That may be true of certain attending jobs. Unfortunately, the skills you are expected to learn in residency (especially those taught in the first two years) are not specialization. They are necessary and essential parts of being an effective practitioner. While I'm sure there are numerous examples in the different specialties of the posters in this thread, I can speak most intelligently to the EM world.

Having Oslerian diagnostics skills doesn't make up for not being able to intubate, the ability to put a peripheral IV or CVC in a chronic dialysis/IVDA in seconds doesn't make up not being able to keep track of more than 2 patients at a time, having an encyclopedic differential doesn't make up for the inability to successfully present a patient to your attendings or consultants. There are certain baseline competencies that are required to function and you can't expect to progress if you can't come up to that standard.

While anesthesia and radiology aren't very competitive, and may be getting less competitive in recent years, they are still not non competitive fields. Programs, even shady ones, have choices and they will certainly take DOs and FMGs over someone who failed out of 2 residencies. And to be clear, everyone will know that you left the first on your own in lieu of being fired. That's evidenced by your probations and repeated inadequate performance in your second OB residency.
Your only chance going forward may be a malignant or bad location non competitive program in a non surgical/procedure based field being forgiving to a failed surgeon. So sell that angle and pray to the gods they are feeling extraordinary generous the day they review your application.
Your visa status is going to mess you up even more.
Good luck. If I were you, I'd look into options in your home country who might be willing to give you a chance.

--
Il Destriero

I said it before, I experienced difficulties. I made mistakes. By no means these carry the weight to be forced to resign. Never put a life in danger either. Giving up is not an option. I already had a project for research I was developing. I will either do research on the meantime and then reapply if necessary. I know you can do it with B1 visa as I have done it before. Thank you everyone who replied in this post, I really appreciate it.