OBGYN Rotation and Shelf - advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ricksimmonsrafowens

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have tips/suggestions on how to do well on Ob/Gyn rotation? Any essential resources for the shelf? Anyone have useful tips for how to be helpful on L&D/in clinic/GynOnc service? I also don't know what roles midwives have on the team... can anyone explain to me what the difference between midwife and an OBGYN intern/junior resident is in terms of responsibilities, etc? Trying to do my best on this rotation... thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

If your school's ob-gyn residents are anything like mine were...Do not speak until spoken to, ask only necessary questions, do as you're told/hold what you're told to hold. Be on time.

Find a free pregnancy wheel to keep on hand (phone app, physical pocket cardboard ones). UW was handy enough, don't think I used much else. OnlineMedEd topics for ob-gyn were helpful. Group topics in your head (etiologies of bleeding in 1st trimester v. 3rd, how the uterus feels in different pathologies (firm, boggy, v. absent), etc).

Reactions: 1 user
Seconding what was said above. OBgyn is really just like any other clinical rotation, as long as you're proactive/observant/show interest/don't speak out of turn, you'll probably do fine. (Although I have to say that in my experience thus far, the stereotype of ob-gyn faculty/residents/nurses being meaner has kind of held true. It is what it is, though, so just try not to take it personally.)

If you haven't done surgery yet, make sure that someone teaches you how to scrub in/maintain sterile field before you go into your first C-section. This sounds stupid, but make sure you know how to hold a baby. They are tinier and more slippery than you think lol.

Role of midwives vs. residents will depend on your institution. At my site, it's mostly high risk pregnancies so we don't have midwives on the team.

Blueprints is pretty dense and I really haven't looked at it at all. Case Files is helpful. If your school pays for UWise (question bank from ACOG), definitely do the questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Google the differences.

Case Files and a Qbank will be sufficient to excel on the floor/shelf. Online MedEd was nice too.