OBGYN with COMLEX only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schwasted589

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have experience applying to ACGME OBGYN with just COMLEX scores? Worth it or is it nearly impossible and I should just save my money? My COMLEX score is...low. First time pass but lower than the average.

Thanks, just trying to weigh my options at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of active DO presence here. From what I've heard, applicants with only COMLEX are at a disadvantage compared to applicants who took USMLE. And that is across all scores- if your score is low that is a second disadvantage.

There are plenty of ACGME programs that accept DOs, but you will be up against excellent applicants. You could end up screened out of most programs except those who really struggle to fill each year. I don't know if it's worth it to train at that type of program just to say you had ACGME training. It may be worthwhile to focus on AOA programs, especially if you're in the running for the higher quality programs on that side.

Try to seek advice from people who know you and the process a little better. Good luck!

I'm a DO student who is applying right now. I was STRONGLY encouraged to take USMLE if applying to ACGME by several program directors. Some programs won't look at your application at all without USMLE scores, and some admit they don't care what your score is on it, they just want to make sure you can pass it, then they focus on your COMLEX scores. It is kind of absurd really, but it is what it is. My biggest piece of advice is that if you do the AOA route you MUST do auditions. The majority of the programs do not say this on their website, but in reality REQUIRE an audition rotation to even be considered, were that is definitely not true on the ACGME side. It is not a rare event for AOA applicants who scored well above the national average on COMLEX I and II to only get 2-3 interviews after applying to all the AOA programs because they didn't do auditions...again, it is absurd, but it is all the game we have to play. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately there isn't a lot of active DO presence here. From what I've heard, applicants with only COMLEX are at a disadvantage compared to applicants who took USMLE. And that is across all scores- if your score is low that is a second disadvantage.

There are plenty of ACGME programs that accept DOs, but you will be up against excellent applicants. You could end up screened out of most programs except those who really struggle to fill each year. I don't know if it's worth it to train at that type of program just to say you had ACGME training. It may be worthwhile to focus on AOA programs, especially if you're in the running for the higher quality programs on that side.

Try to seek advice from people who know you and the process a little better. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. OBGYN forum doesn't get much traffic and my school has nothing in terms of counseling or advising so we're on our own. I had heard that some people take Step 2 for certain specialties to make up for the fact that they didn't take Step 1 but haven't been able to talk to any students about that and programs are really vague and unclear with their answers

I had signed up for USMLE but opted not to take it because I wasn't doing well enough to be comfortable. Now I'm kicking myself because I'm realizing ACGME is most likely not possible.

Unfortunately my COMLEX isn't very high which was a surprise so I'm fighting an uphill battle in general even with AOA at this point :/

I'm a DO student who is applying right now. I was STRONGLY encouraged to take USMLE if applying to ACGME by several program directors. Some programs won't look at your application at all without USMLE scores, and some admit they don't care what your score is on it, they just want to make sure you can pass it, then they focus on your COMLEX scores. It is kind of absurd really, but it is what it is. My biggest piece of advice is that if you do the AOA route you MUST do auditions. The majority of the programs do not say this on their website, but in reality REQUIRE an audition rotation to even be considered, were that is definitely not true on the ACGME side. It is not a rare event for AOA applicants who scored well above the national average on COMLEX I and II to only get 2-3 interviews after applying to all the AOA programs because they didn't do auditions...again, it is absurd, but it is all the game we have to play. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm going to shoot you a message. Thanks!

Ditto the other person in regards to doing aoa auditions, definitely do that. I got 6 acgme interviews with comlex only, but I'm not sure how many of my previous classmates now in obgyn did only comlex to compare.

Reactions: 1 user
Ditto the other person in regards to doing aoa auditions, definitely do that. I got 6 acgme interviews with comlex only, but I'm not sure how many of my previous classmates now in obgyn did only comlex to compare.

Did you rank and match with only six ACGME or did you end up going to AOA route?

I applied last year with only comlex scores. I matched but it was a really long and anxiety filled application cycle haha. I do wish I had taken it but I'm happy with my results. PM me if you have any questions :)

Reactions: 2 users
I applied last year with only comlex scores. I matched but it was a really long and anxiety filled application cycle haha. I do wish I had taken it but I'm happy with my results. PM me if you have any questions :)

Thank you! Sent you a message :)