Observation hours/Extracurricular experience in high school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopept2019

Reaction score
I was accepted into an exclusive Allied Health program during my Senior year of high school, during which I participated in a variety of clinical rotations. These experiences involved observation in many areas including in-patient rehabilitation, surgical procedures, athletic training, nursing home care and more. This program was the catalyst that led to my decision to pursue a career in PT. Can I include this experience in my observation hours and/or extracurricular activities on my PTCAS application?

Members don't see this ad.

According to the PTCAS manual high school ECs can’t be included. I’m not sure about observation hours.

Last edited:
You can't include it in the EC section, but you can mention in when answering school specific questions. I had a similar experience where I did a Junior Volunteer Program where I earned valuable leadership experience in a wide range of volunteer sites. I earned over 2000 volunteer hours that went towards a small scholarship for undergrad. I have worked a single sentence into many essays stating how these experiences helped me make my career decision and spurred collegiete shadowing experiences.