Apr 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Physical Therapy
My state has started to relax restrictions a bit, so I've been reaching out to clinics in my city to get in observation hours. One PT emailed me back and asked for a resume and a list of references. Is this normal? And if so, what type of references would be appropriate to submit?

JMarcusDPT

Jasmine Marcus, PT DPT CSCS
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2012
New York
jasminemarcus.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Physical Therapist
My state has started to relax restrictions a bit, so I've been reaching out to clinics in my city to get in observation hours. One PT emailed me back and asked for a resume and a list of references. Is this normal? And if so, what type of references would be appropriate to submit?
I don't think that's common, and I've never done it for people who've shadowed me, but my guess is they want to make sure there aren't any red flags before they expose you to their patients. I'd try someone from a former job or a professor.

Sep 10, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Physical Therapy
I haven’t had to provide references but a few places did as for a resume/what I was hoping to get out of the experience.

About the Ads

ya1

2+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2019
It's up to the person who is going to let you in their clinic. They may just want to make sure you are not weird or have some bad character. You can get references from your professors, an employer, someone who works in rehab, maybe church. They can emphasize your qualities such as being punctual, devoted, expressed interest in PT (for references from pre-reques), hard-working, motivated, willing to help your classmates/co-workers when needed... things like that.

Reactions: 1 user

kdubz7w7

2+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Physical Therapist
My last CI told me that he once had a student who was WILDLY inappropriate, he asked him to leave after one hour, and now has some sort of screening in place (I forget what exactly), so it may be that this PT is simply being cautious. In this spirit, I would submit references that can speak to your professionalism/conduct.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.