Obstetric Anesthesiology Fellowship Applications - 2021-2022 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgoblue2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm a current CA-2 at a midwest program. I'm in the middle of applications for OB fellowship. Hoping to find others engaging in this process and people with information on OB fellowship programs. I'm having a hard time finding much information prior to my interviews on many of the programs' websites.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I highly doubt you will find much here except people possibly telling you what a waste of time an OB fellowship is.

I hope you plan on being a career academian. Can’t see much use for that in the real world.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a co resident that did a fellowship in OB. Now living his best life as director of OB at tertiary care center.
I have a friend who's got the same job. Although living your best life in OB to me sounds like a walking nightmare. Nothing in anesthesia I hate more than OB. Needy, screaming women calling me for an epidural at 1 am after they refused my offer at 9 pm cuz they wanted to go "natural" and now they are losing their damn mind and I am supposed to fix their problem with a smile on my face. Take the damn epidural when it's offered and leave me the hell alone at night since I have been up now for 16 hours or more.

That being said, I am sure there are plenty on here who would say the same thing about ICU. We are all crazy in our own little ways. ICU is shift work. Thank you Jesus.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
OB is very lucrative, why would those in an eat what you kill place not like it?

I highly doubt you will find much here except people possibly telling you what a waste of time an OB fellowship is.

I hope you plan on being a career academian. Can’t see much use for that in the real world.
An OB fellowship is worse than a waste of time. I am not eloquent enough to convey what a time vampire it is, but it is.

Because I like to sleep and rest and enjoy life more than kill myself for the love of money.
Now, make it a 12 hour shift and I will think on it.

if the place is high enough volume it will be shift work. And you’ll only do OB rather than cover the OR and OB at the same time. And there you’re likely to find fellowship trained folks. I used to think an OB fellowship was a joke but I’ve since come around to believe in it. I envy them even bc they typically are able to carve out sweet setups for themselves.

Pick your poison. Personally I’d rather do a quick epidural on a healthy mom at 1am than an appy or admit a septic patient to the ICU. To each their own.

Some people will sell their souls for money. Can’t seem to see that’s there’s more to life than working like a dog for money.
My ex sometimes does 36 hours straight of ICU for the love of money. I don’t get it.
Crazy. When you're working that much, you have no life. I knew an anesthesiologist that had a boat he never used. Reason? Too busy. That's just straight up foolishness.

OB is very lucrative, why would those in an eat what you kill place not like it?

For it to be lucrative you either need to have a strong payer mix or a lotta volume (or ideally both), but those things are often not the case.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The 2 people in my group with OB fellowships stopped doing OB entirely :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know the numbers, but I've heard OBs have high malpractice (sued for anything up to age 18). Any parallels to anesthesia OB? I know overall malpractice is middle of pack for anesthesia in general. But that's usually to me because when things go bad in general anesthesia patient is just unhealthy. Now if you got 20-30 year olds with kids...

I did an OB fellowship. I liked it and I still do. I learned a heck.of a lot of things. I did not think it was as useless as the people here who did not do one. In terms of job prospects, the demand is reasonable, but the locations are restrictive - not too many high risk centers in bucolic locations. You have to want to live in cities.

You get burned working your ass off to get complicated care plans in place for patients and obstetricians who neither understand nor appreciate the effort. Patients yell at you and insult you routinely. The nurses are never as highly trained as they should be and it's terrifying. It has zero respect for a sane schedule, but then neither do surgeons doing lap appys all night long. I sweat lawsuits all the time. You work closely with a service that understands zero critical care medicine, but is the "primary team." It's a hell of a lot of customer service and also a hell of a lot of "no good deed goes unpunished." I play constant intermediary between an OB side that understands no critical care medicine and an anesthesia team that does not really understand obstetrics. I have to work way too f-ing hard to convince my colleagues that most what they learned in residency in the 1980s doesn't really apply.

As far as I'm concerned, a chronic pain fellowship is the worst choice. I'd rather remove my eyeballs with a spoon.

TO ANSWER THE ACTUAL QUESTION: Yes, there isn't much information. You have to go to the sites and ask a lot of questions and talk to as many other interviewees and existing fellows as you can find. Otherwise go to SOAP - you can find nearly all the fellowship directors there. You can also crash the fellowship cocktail hour and chat. As of 2-3 years ago, the programs only filled to about 50%. I doubt it's changed much.

I did an OB fellowship. I liked it and I still do. I learned a heck.of a lot of things. I did not think it was as useless as the people here who did not do one. In terms of job prospects, the demand is reasonable, but the locations are restrictive - not too many high risk centers in bucolic locations. You have to want to live in cities.

You get burned working your ass off to get complicated care plans in place for patients and obstetricians who neither understand nor appreciate the effort. Patients yell at you and insult you routinely. The nurses are never as highly trained as they should be and it's terrifying. It has zero respect for a sane schedule, but then neither do surgeons doing lap appys all night long. I sweat lawsuits all the time. You work closely with a service that understands zero critical care medicine, but is the "primary team." It's a hell of a lot of customer service and also a hell of a lot of "no good deed goes unpunished." I play constant intermediary between an OB side that understands no critical care medicine and an anesthesia team that does not really understand obstetrics. I have to work way too f-ing hard to convince my colleagues that most what they learned in residency in the 1980s doesn't really apply.

As far as I'm concerned, a chronic pain fellowship is the worst choice. I'd rather remove my eyeballs with a spoon.

TO ANSWER THE ACTUAL QUESTION: Yes, there isn't much information. You have to go to the sites and ask a lot of questions and talk to as many other interviewees and existing fellows as you can find. Otherwise go to SOAP - you can find nearly all the fellowship directors there. You can also crash the fellowship cocktail hour and chat. As of 2-3 years ago, the programs only filled to about 50%. I doubt it's changed much.

That’s not a great sales pitch for OB fellowship.

Reactions: 4 users
That’s not a great sales pitch for OB fellowship.
Was thinking the exact same thing.

Like, what part of your job is actually enjoyable after that long paragraph full of nothing but complaints, and gripes? I don’t do well with patients yelling at me. That’s why I like them asleep.
And who, if anyone appreciates you? Sounds like no one at all.

The Pinocchio GEICO commercial anyone?

• Haha
Every few months the same conversation happens. Should I do XYZ fellowship?

Then a handful of people chime in saying its a waste of time and a waste of earning potential.

Here's where it always ends up: Do the fellowship if it adds extra training that you need or if it gets you the job that you want.

I did an OB fellowship and it was my favorite year of my medical career. I would not have gotten my current job without it. Not only do I get to do what I enjoy most but in the longterm it will also pay off financially. For me it was a no brainer. The same doesn't apply for everyone. But you could say the exact same thing about pain, cardiac, peds, and ICU. I know many people who did those fellowships and don't do it at all.

Reactions: 8 users
An OB fellowship is worse than a waste of time. I am not eloquent enough to convey what a time vampire it is, but it is.

I don't think I could ever eloquently enough convey how boring these kind of comments are. If it doesn't float your boat, great. Then don't do it. But for others it can be exactly the kind of background they want/need in their career.

I did an OB fellowship, it was my favorite year of my academic career. I got a job in an OB only group that many other people applied for. I raked it in in this eat what you kill setting for several years, and now am teaching residents the art of running an efficient OB anesthesia practice. I am getting tired of bull$#*^ coming from clowns like you pissing on OB all the time. Get a life.

Lol, I did a pain fellowship and now do strictly pain and OB. Love it. To each their own I guess.

I don't think I could ever eloquently enough convey how boring these kind of comments are. If it doesn't float your boat, great. Then don't do it. But for others it can be exactly the kind of background they want/need in their career.

I did an OB fellowship, it was my favorite year of my academic career. I got a job in an OB only group that many other people applied for. I raked it in in this eat what you kill setting for several years, and now am teaching residents the art of running an efficient OB anesthesia practice. I am getting tired of bull$#*^ coming from clowns like you pissing on OB all the time. Get a life.
I understand where the anger comes from, girlfriend. OB - the bane of 99.9% of anesthesiologist's existence. Thank God for the 0.1% like you.

Every few months the same conversation happens. Should I do XYZ fellowship?

Then a handful of people chime in saying its a waste of time and a waste of earning potential.

Here's where it always ends up: Do the fellowship if it adds extra training that you need or if it gets you the job that you want.

I did an OB fellowship and it was my favorite year of my medical career. I would not have gotten my current job without it. Not only do I get to do what I enjoy most but in the longterm it will also pay off financially. For me it was a no brainer. The same doesn't apply for everyone. But you could say the exact same thing about pain, cardiac, peds, and ICU. I know many people who did those fellowships and don't do it at all.

Would you mind me asking what your current job is?

I understand where the anger comes from, girlfriend. OB - the bane of 99.9% of anesthesiologist's existence. Thank God for the 0.1% like you.
+100. We need more OB anesthesiologists. And we need OB board certification. And only OB board-certified anesthesiologists on the labor floor. I am even for CRNA independence... for OB anesthesia.

Anything, just no more OB, ever. I'd rather do psych, I mean pain.

• Haha