Obtaining peds neuro postdoc from non-neuro internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pawsandneuro

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just matched to an apa accredited internship (yay). However, it is a very generalist internship with minimal to no neuro opportunities where I will primarily be providing therapy for individuals across the lifespan. There is no neuropsychologist on staff. I plan to pursue a peds neuro postdoc. I know that it is possible to obtain a peds neuro postdoc, but will be harder with having little to no neuro experiences on internship. I have 4+ years of neuropsych practicum experience within community mental health and hospital settings and 2 current publications in neuro journals. My dissertation should be defended in a couple of months. I am considering taking the NAN neuroanatomy course this summer.

Any tips for things I can do that will help increase my chances of being able to obtain a peds neuro postdoc when I apply in the fall? I am willing to spend as much extra time outside of my internship supplementing with neuro related stuff as I need to.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if on internship you'll be able to focus more of your caseload toward peds cases that have neuro components. That would then be you taking advantage of the limited neuro opportunities available to at least stay connected to the population. If there are neuropsychologists in the city of your internship, I wonder if they might have supplemental opportunities that would help you or be open to consultation regarding some of your cases.