Obtaining Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Antigravity

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here had any good tips on obtaining recommendation letters from professors? I try to talk to my professors before and after class, and attend office hours, but I usually don't have much to talk about. I also feel bad about "using" them for a potential letter. Any advice would be much appreciated! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone here had any good tips on obtaining recommendation letters from professors? I try to talk to my professors before and after class, and attend office hours, but I usually don't have much to talk about. I also feel bad about "using" them for a potential letter. Any advice would be much appreciated! :D

Just ask them. That is one of the things they are there for and they know it.

I tend to be in your situation in terms of recommendation letters. Just remember that most professors are more than happy to help their students and that they write recommendation letters all the time. I seriously doubt they take TOO long to write each one. So it shouldn't be too much of a burden.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask them advice about medical schools, etc. Find out what they did (thesis wise) for their PhD- profs love to talk about themselves. Most importantly, make sure they know you well before you ask. Nothing worse than an impersonal letter.

When you finally do ask them (and they say yes)- I made up a packet for them with the letter writing instructions, a copy of my personal statement, my CV, and a personal letter thanking them. I also gave them each a very small box of Godiva chocolate (only 2 truffles so it wouldn't seem inappropriate) as a thank you for their time.

Worked for me; I have gotten many comments about my great letters. Good luck!
:luck:

Find a professor with whom to do research (doesn't have to be one of your class professors). Your will naturally develop a relationship with him/her, and the letter will reflect a personal knowledge of your attributes that letters from class profs often don't have. PLUS, you will then have research as one of your ECs! :D

Thanks a lot everyone! I am currently in a lab as a research assistant, so I have my PI's letter. I guess I just need to get some courage and ask away for my other letters.