General Admissions & OTCAS Occupational therapy 2022-2023 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOT2022-2023

Reaction score
Hi everyone! With the 2022-2023 cycle opening in about a month, I wanted to start a thread where people can share their stats, extracurriculars, observation hours, etc. and where you're applying! Wishing everyone the best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi y’all! I made a GroupMe for Texas OT school applications for 22-23. Not sure if there is already one for just Texas. I linked the code.

You're invited to my new group 'Texas OT school application/admission 22-33' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Attachments

• C828D9DC-587B-45A7-B8F8-8BFC7A84D8E9.png
    C828D9DC-587B-45A7-B8F8-8BFC7A84D8E9.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: 1 user
Updated 12/7/22

Hey there 😊

Degree: B.S in Child Development from UCF
GPA: 3.9
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
Shadowing Hours: 175+ in three different settings (Neurological rehab, pediatric outpatient, outdoor/neurodivergent OT)
Extracurriculars/Volunteer: Pre-OT club member/Secretary, volunteer captain at local food bank, Kindergarten ASD classroom support (won an Award for outstanding youth volunteer from school district), marching band and community orchestra member
Internships: 175hr internship at CECO (school for children and young adults with motor and intellectual disabilities), 370hr internship at Early Steps (early intervention for babies and toddlers)
Work: Facilitator at Orlando Science Center, piano teacher for ASD students, babysitting for school-age ASD kids, Program Assistant at Conductive Education Center of Orlando (CECO), Attractions Attendant at Universal Orlando (current) and Intake Coordinator/Assistant at Early Steps (current)
GRE: Only required by and sent to FGCU -- combined 297
Letters of Req: 2 OTs plus Kindergarten ASD teacher and UCF Degree Program Coordinator/Advisor
Applying to: Florida Gulf Coast University and University of Florida

Interviews: Scheduled with FGCU in January :)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Major: Public Health with a Specialization in Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.9
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7-4.0 varies by school
GRE: not taking
Letters of recommendation: 2 OTs, 1 prof, 1 volunteer supervisor & 1 work supervisor
Extra-Curriculars/work/volunteer: non profit National Collegiate Council (Advocacy Chair 2021; Growth Chair 2022) Started public health club (Chapter Founder/President); FYE Peer Leader; Sorority (Director of Chapter Housing 2021; Director of Diversity 2022) Spoon U (Treasurer) Hippotherapy; Student Assistant; Camp Counselor; Hillel (Greek engagement intern/learning fellow)
Shadowing Hours: 100+ in various settings (peds, neuro rehab, geriatrics, hand, hippotherapy)
Applying to: Ohio State, Tufts, WashU, Rush, BU, Pitt, UF
Interviews: WashU (9/29), Rush (10/4), Boston (10/25), OSU (12/10)
Acceptances: Rush (11/4), Pitt (12/6), Boston (12/16), OSU (12/18), WashU
Rejections: UF
Waitlist: Tufts (accepted 3/7), USC (withdrew)
Good luck everyone!!
Attending: Boston :)

Last edited:
HI!
GPA: 3.5
prereq GPA: 3.5
shadowing hours: 75 in three settings currently, hoping to have at least 100
extra: a sorority, Rbt certification and a current j ob doing in-home therapy, preschool teaching experience, volunteer at down syndrome clinic, hospital volunteer
gre: I still have to take
Applying to: FGCU, Nova, FIU
Any tips or advice on how to be a stronger applicant, I am nervous about my Gpa.
Don’t go to nova.

Updated 12/18:

Hi!
Major: Human Development and Family Science
Minor: Disability Studies and Speech and Hearing Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre Req GPA: 3.8-4.0(Depending on school)
GRE: Not required
Schools I Applied To: Boston University, University of Pittsburgh, MGH, Tufts University, Ohio State University, Belmont University Extracurriculars/Work/Volunteer: Research Assistant(Gun Violence Prevention 2+ years), Teachers Assistant( Lifespan Development, Family Development, Human sexuality, 2+ years), College Mentors for Kids(2+ years), TOPS Internship(Work with college aged students with developmental disabilities), Buckeyethon(General body member, Engagement coordinator, Family Program Coordinator, 2+ years), Kappa Kappa Gamma( Member, Nominating committee, Recruitment committee/Day Chair, PR committee), Friends of Karen, Mental Health America, Reading is Fundamental
Observation Hours:
80+ Hours in Skilled Nursing Facility(Brain injury, Subacute care, Aging, Geriatrics)
30+ Hours in Rehabilitation Center(Acute care, Aging, Geriatrics)
Letters: 2 OTs, 2 Professors I TA for/TA advisor, Research advisor
Good luck everyone!

Interviews: Belmont University(9/30), Boston University(10/27), MGH(11/18), Ohio State(12/9)
Acceptances: Belmont University(10/5), University of Pittsburgh(11/8), MGH Health Institute (12/13), Boston University(12/16), Ohio State(12/17), Tufts University(12/20)
Rejections: N/A
Waitlist: N/A

Attending: Boston University!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As of 8/31/22: Edit 9/19/22: Edit 11/7/22: Edit 11/14/22

Major
: Basic and Applied Sciences (Double Major Biology and Psychology)
Minor: Chemistry
Overall GPA: 2.62
Pre-Req GPA: 3.1-3.3 (depending on the schools)
GRE: I only applied to the schools that didn't require the GRE. I didn't take it because I thought the whole test was fill-in-the-blank (no one told me differently until five days before the application process started), but if I don't get in, I'm taking it before I apply next year.
Schools Applied: Abilene Christian University, Brenau University, Emory & Henry College, James Madison University, Lenoir-Rhyne University (SC & NC), Midwestern University - Glendale, Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences/Mary Baldwin University, Radford University, Shenandoah University, University of New Mexico, Virginia Commonwealth University, Colorado State University
Volunteer: Volunteer with Behavioral Psychologist for one month. It was basically like a job; I volunteered M-F, 6 am-1 pm weekly that month.
Observation Hours: 65 shadowing hours with OTs (12 of those were in a Neurological Rehab facility, and the rest were all pediatric settings)
I cannot get any more hours; every place has told me flat out no, or they just refused to respond to me (no matter how many times I pester them). And many of the OTs (I live in TN) quit due to COVID. One OT could allow me to shadow, but apparently, he's new and refuses to work with students. There are quite a few old people's homes, but even with the vaccines, they aren't accepting students. I have already concluded that this is the maximum amount of hours I will ever get unless I buy a car and travel 45+ mins away to another city.
Letters: 2 OTs, 1 Professor, 1 academic advisor. (I had another OT who said she'd write me one, but she never did. I kept asking, and she said she would, but she just didn't. The 2nd OT didn't send it in until today.)
Interviews: Brenau University (9/19), Virginia Commonwealth University (12/2), NO interview at Lenoir-Rhyne just a phone call letting me know I was accepted.

Acceptances
: Lenoir-Rhyne University (NC & SC)-> 900$ deposit
Rejections and Why
: Shenandoah University (didn't meet 3.0 GPA), Midwestern University - Glendale (did not meet the 2.75 GPA requirement),
Waitlist:

Last edited:
Degree: Occupational Therapy Assistant (Santa Ana College)
GPA: 3.68
Pre-req GPA: 3.74
Fieldwork Hours: 320 Hours in Hand Clinic, 320 Hours in Pediatrics (sensory integration)
Extracurriculars/Volunteer: CHLA Volunteer 385 HOURS, IVHQ Volunteered in Guataemala for 1 week working with special needs children in school based setting 60 hours
Work: Back Office Medical Assistant Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Chiropractic Assistant at Chiropractic and Biophysics office, Back Office Medical Assistant at Weight Loss Clinic, Nursing Assistant I in Medical Telemetry Providence St. Joseph Hospital
GRE: not required
Letters of Req: 1 Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, 1 Clinical Director OTR/L, 2 Doctor of Chiropractic
Applying to: Southern California University of Health Sciences

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Edited on 1/1/2023

Degree
: B.S. Child and Family Development; also grad certificate in Early Childhood and Mental Health and earned credentials.
GPA: not sure
Pre-req GPA: varies by program
Fieldwork Hours: 600-700+ I currently work as an aide and did a lot of observation as a hospital volunteer
Extracurriculars/Volunteer: children's hospital volunteer (~560), lots of involvement with the AAPI community, Dance Marathon, hospital intern (240 hours), held various leadership roles including in the AAPI community, co-founded and was the vice president of my Pre-OT organization, and hold a position in my hospital internship.
Work: Rehab aide working with OT's in hand therapy clinics and pediatrics, child care worker (3 years), behavior tech (6 months)
Letters of Req: 2 OTR/Ls, 1 supervisor from my hospital internship, 1 professor from my grad certificate class
Applying to: USC, Loma Linda, Dominican, Samuel Merritt, Boston U,
Interviewed: Loma Linda (10/12), Dominican University (11/12), Samuel Merritt (12/3)
Accepted: Loma Linda (11/11) USC (12/16) Dominican University of California
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
Boston University

Best of luck everyone! :)

Last edited:
As of 8/31/22:

Major
GRE: I only applied to the schools that didn't require the GRE. I didn't take it because I thought the whole test was fill-in-the-blank (no one told me differently until five days before the application process started), but if I don't get in, I'm taking it before I apply next year.
Schools Applied: Abilene Christian University, Brenau University, Emory & Henry College, James Madison University, Lenoir-Rhyne University (SC & NC), Midwestern University - Glendale, Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences/Mary Baldwin University, Radford University, Shenandoah University, University of New Mexico, Virginia Commonwealth University, Colorado State University
Volunteer: Volunteer with Behavioral Psychologist for one month. It was basically like a job; I volunteered M-F, 6 am-1 pm weekly that month.
Observation Hours: 65 shadowing hours with OTs (12 of those were in a Neurological Rehab facility, and the rest were all pediatric settings)
I cannot get any more hours; every place has told me flat out no, or they just refused to respond to me (no matter how many times I pester them). And many of the OTs (I live in TN) quit due to COVID. One OT could allow me to shadow, but apparently, he's new and refuses to work with students. There are quite a few old people's homes, but even with the vaccines, they aren't accepting students. I have already concluded that this is the maximum amount of hours I will ever get unless I buy a car and travel 45+ mins away to another city.
Letters: 2 OTs, 1 Professor, 1 academic advisor. (I had another OT who said she'd write me one, but she never did. I kept asking, and she said she would, but she just didn't. The 2nd OT didn't send it in until today.)
Interviews:
Acceptances:
Rejections and Why: Shenandoah University (didn't meet 3.0 GPA), Midwestern University - Glendale (did not meet the 2.75 GPA requirement),
Waitlist:
I experienced the same thing with observation hours. They have to understand because we all went through it. Good Luck!

I experienced the same thing with observation hours. They have to understand because we all went through it. Good Luck!
I'm so happy I'm not the only one. The Commonwealth School in Virginia asked if Covid affected me in any way, and I told them about how I couldn't get very many shadowing hours. But none of the other schools asked me about that, so I was a little worried. Good Luck to you as well!

Hey guys! As of 11/22/2022:
Major: Psychology Pre-OT
Minor: Neuroscience
Overall GPA: Overall cumulative 3.57. Last 60 hrs 3.9-4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: N/A
Letters of recommendation: 1 OT, 1 professor, 1 department head/research director
Extra-Curriculars/work/volunteer: 100 volunteer hours as a summer camp counselor, and several years of retail work. Pre-Ot club, Psi-chi honor society, and Omicron Kappa Delta.
Shadowing Hours: 40 hand therapy, 30 EIC, 30 peds w/ learning differences. Got rejected from 30+ places due to Covid. It's tough out here yall.
Applying to: TWU, UTMB, & TTU.
Interviews: TTU (10/28) TWU (11/18)
Acceptances: TWU Houston (11/22)
Rejections: TTU (11/29)
Waitlist:

Attending TWU Houston!

Last edited:
Hi guys! as of 11/17/2022

Major: Exercise Science
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.336
Pre-req GPA: 3.16 (varies, higher at some schools)
GRE: not taken yet
Letters of recommendation:
-1 OT
-The Indiana University Assistant Athletic director
-the Mom of the family I nannied for (she is a business owner and lawyer, I now work for her business)
Extra-curriculars:
-4-year student-athlete: Cheerleading
-4-year Alpha Delta Pi sorority member
-4-year Indiana University Dance Marathon member
-2-year US National Team member
Work:
-Nanny
-UCA/V!ROC staff (traveled all over the country to lead cheerleading camps)
Achievements:
-2019 UCA National Champion
-2022 ICU World Championship silver medalist
-5 Big Ten conference athletic awards
-5 Indiana University athletic awards
Shadowing hours:
-20 hours in geriatrics
-20 hours in various settings at a hospital (will be 24 when I'm done with the program)
Applying to: IUPUI, Ohio State, Huntington (IN), Midwestern (IL)
Interviews: Huntington (10/28), Midwestern (11/16)
Rejections: IUPUI (prerequisite GPA), Ohio State
Acceptances: Huntington University (11/1), Midwestern University (11/17)
Waitlist:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Update! I just had my Interview with SCUHS ON 09/16/22 and received a phone call yesterday and got accepted! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Degree: Bachelors of Arts in Health Science with a concentration in women's health
GPA: 2.7
Pre-req GPA: 3.0
Fieldwork Hours: 40 (20 in pediatrics another 20 in nursing/rehab facility)
Extracurriculars/Volunteer: Worship Leader at Church, Organized mission trip in Guatemala in 2019
Work: Currently a medical assistant a podiatrist's office, former substitute teacher as well as former sales associate at a college bookstore
GRE: Haven't taken
Letters of Req: 1 Podiatrist, 2 OTRs, 1 Pastor
Applying to: Cedar Crest College, Briar Cliff University, Advent Health University, Boston University, Colorado State University, Des Moines University, Drake University, Hofstra University, Messiah University,University of Florida, University of Mary, Midwestern University Downers Grove, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Widener University, Creighton University
Interviews: Cedar Crest College (10/6), Briar Cliff (TBA)
Rejections: Messiah University (GPA)
Acceptances: Cedar Crest College (10/14)
Waitlist:

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
As of 10/8
Degree: Human Development and Family Science
Minor: Health Professions
GPA: 3.86
Pre Req GPA: 3.8
Letters of Req: 1 OT, Research Lab Manager, 2 professors
Shadowing Hours: 45 pediatric clinic, 20 general rehab clinic
Extra Curriculars: president of student organization, undergraduate research assistant, student ambassador
Applying To: USC, Texas Woman's, Texas Tech
Interviews: Texas Tech (10/14)
Rejections:
Acceptances:

STATS:
Cumulative GPA: 3.2
Prerequisite GPA: 3.8
Observation Hours: 65
Work/Volunteer Experience: Adaptive sports (3 years), hospice, pediatric outpatient, refugee resettlement.
Letters of Rec: employers x2, professor, a colleague in a related field to OT.

APPLIED: Pacific University, AT Still, UW-Madison, University of Vermont, University of New England, Boston University
Interviews: UW-Madison, UVM, UNE, BU
Acceptances: University of Vermont, UNE
Waitlists:
Rejections:

I hope everyone gets in everywhere.

Last edited:
Edited: 2/4/22

Major
: Human Development and Family Science
Overall GPA: 3.95
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: did not take
Letters of recommendation: 1 Professor, 2 Professional - one from my EMT commander and one from the youth swim program I worked at for multiple years
Work: as an EMT (1.5 years and still employed), as a substitute teacher in the Child Development Lab on my campus (recently employed), Lifeguard (for 6 years), Private Swim Instructor (4 years), Head Swim instructor (2 years)
Extra-Curriculars and Volunteering: active member in marching band, member of a service fraternity with a leadership position, member of Extra Special People, worked in a research lab for 1 semester, volunteer at a farm specializing in hippotherapy
Shadowing Hours: 100 in multiple settings (hand therapy, pediatric home-based play therapy, hippotherapy)
Applying to: MGH, Boston, Tufts, Towson, Rush, Midwestern DG, GW, Johnson and Wales - I have more on my list to potentially apply to but I am waiting to hear back from some schools first!
Interviews: Rush (11/4), Midwestern DG (11/17), GW (11/10), BostonU (11/4), MGH (11/18), Johnson & Wales (12/2), Towson (12/10)
Acceptances: Midwestern (11/18), GW (11/22), J&W (12/9), MGH (12/13), BostonU (12/16), Tufts (12/20), Rush (2/1)
Rejections:
Waitlist: Towson

Attending: MGH!
Good luck everyone :)

Last edited:
*Edited as of 3/1
Major: Applied Physiology and Kinesiology at the University of Florida
Overall GPA: 3.95
Pre Req GPA: 4.0
Schools I Applied To: Colorado State, BU, Tufts, MGH, UW-Madison, Rush University, Belmont, USC and Keck Graduate Institute.
Extracurriculars/Work/Volunteer: Camp counselor for 3 years for adults with cerebral palsy, RBT for a year for kids with autism, semester of volunteering in elementary school with a student with a learning disability, Disability Affairs Director for UF Student Government (1 year), DE&I chair in my sorority (1 year), UGTA for research methods class, tour guide, student assistant at UF Hillel.
Observation Hours:
30 hours inpatient OT at UF Heart and Vascular Hospital
30 hours outpatient OT at UF Medical Plaza
8 hours in-home OT for First Steps in Indianapolis
Also worked with OTs when I was an RBT
Letters: 1 OT, 1 Professor, 1 colleague

Interviews: Keck (11/11), MGH Institute (11/17), Belmont (11/18), Rush (12/2), UW-Madison Kira Talent Assessment, BU (1/11)
Acceptances: Keck (11/18), Belmont (11/21), Rush (12/6), MGH (12/13), USC (12/16), Tufts (12/20), UW-Madison (1/16), CSU (1/25), BU (3/1)
Withdrew Applications: MUSC
Rejections:
Attending: USC! Fight On!

Good luck everyone! We can do this :)

Last edited:
Major: Public Health with a Specialization in Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.9
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7-4.0 varies by school
Letters of recommendation: 2 OTs, 1 prof, 1 volunteer supervisor & 1 work supervisor
Extra-Curriculars/work/volunteer: on national collegiate council for non profit; founded a student org for public health; fye peer leader; director of diversity and director of chapter housing for sorority; treasurer for campus food publication; volunteered for hippotherapy; worked in dining hall; camp counselor
Shadowing Hours: 100+ in various settings (peds, neuro rehab, geriatrics, hand, hippotherapy)
Applying to: Ohio State, Tufts, WashU, Rush, BU, Yeshiva, Pitt, UF
Interviews: WashU (9/29), Rush (10/4)
Acceptances:
Rejections:
Waitlist:
Good luck everyone!!

I am an undergrad at UF rn, so I can't speak to the OT program but if you have any questions on the school itself or Gainesville I am happy to help!

Major: Public Health with a minor in Disability Studies
Overall GPA: 3.83
Pre Req GPA: Varies but around 3.7
Schools I Applied To: UF, WashU, Tufts, Towson, UPitt, Johnson and Wales (maybe adding more)
Extracurriculars/Work/Volunteer: Vice President of Programming for my sorority, Dean's Ambassador for the College of Public Health, Member of a Pre-Health service organization, TA for disabilities course, Researcher/course redesign assistant for disabilities course, Volunteer on weekly calls with senior citizens, Volunteer feeding the homeless, Volunteer at an animal rescue, Camp Counselor 4 years, Engagement Intern at Hillel
Observation Hours: 33 in Outpatient Peds, 69 in Inpatient Rehab
Letters: 1 OT, 1 Professor, 1 club advisor, 1 employer

Interviews: WashU (9/29), Towson (12/7), J&W (withdrew)
Acceptances: Pitt (12/6), Tufts (12/20), Towson (12/22), UF (1/9), WashU (3/1)
Rejections: N/A
Waitlist: N/A

Attending: UF!!!

Good luck everyone! :)

Last edited:
Major: Movement Science (school of kinesiology) minor Community Action & social change (school of social work) university of michigan
Cumulative GPA: 3.71
Pre req GPA: 3.6ish (depends on school)
Observation Hours: 40 peds
Work/Volunteer Experience:
- 1 semester study abroad researching for WHO in Australia
- 3 years in kinesiology frat, 1 as treasurer 0.5 as DEI committee
- 3 years homelessness student org
- 3 years kinesiology student ambassadors
- 1 year club weightlifting
- 2 years working barista job
- 6 months intergroup relations student recruitment, 1 year intergroup dialogue facilitator
- 1 summer freshman orientation leader
- 1 summer research assistant (data organization)
- 1 semester TA (exercise, nutrition & weight control)

Letters of Rec: 1 professor, 1 minor (community action & social change) advisor, 1 OT, 1 employer (intergroup relations)
GRE:n/a

APPLIED: Ohio state, Colorado state, GW, Duke, UVM, Toledo, Pitt
Interviews: OSU, UVM, Duke, GW(did not go)
Acceptances:OSU, UVM, Pitt, CSU
Waitlists: duke

Attending: OSU!

Last edited:
STATS:
Work/Volunteer Experience: Adaptive sports (3 years), hospice, pediatric outpatient, refugee resettlement.

APPLIED: Pacific University, AT Still, UW-Madison, University of Vermont, University of New England, Boston University
Acceptances: University of Vermont
Waitlists:
Rejections: )

As you can see, I've applied to a wide range of schools in size, price, rigor, stature, private/public, research, and location. A few days ago, I received my acceptance letter from UVM! I'm flabbergasted by the fact that any program will have me! As a non-traditional student with a bumpy academic history, I was unsure of my candidacy.

Does anyone have a status on the inaugural semester over at UVM? How's it going? I am slightly unsure about entering a brand-new program. Moreover, they want me to commit by Nov 11th! Is this standard practice? Am I being scammed? I doubt that I will hear from any programs until at least the end of November. How am I to the way my options, detail a budget, and visit schools? I feel pressured to commit because, as they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If anyone else is experiencing a similar dilemma, I'd love to hear about it.

Congrats on your interview with BU! Did they email you regarding the interview invitation?

Major: Movement Science (school of kinesiology) minor Community Action & social change (school of social work) university of michigan
Cumulative GPA: 3.71
Pre req GPA: 3.6ish (depends on school)
Observation Hours: 40 peds
- 1 semester study abroad researching for WHO in Australia
- 3 years in kinesiology frat, 1 as treasurer 0.5 as DEI committee
- 3 years homelessness student org
- 3 years kinesiology student ambassadors
- 1 year club weightlifting
- 2 years working barista job
- 6 months intergroup relations student recruitment, 1 year intergroup dialogue facilitator
- 1 summer freshman orientation leader
- 1 summer research assistant (data organization)
- 1 semester TA (exercise, nutrition & weight control)

Letters of Rec: 1 professor, 1 minor (community action & social change) advisor, 1 OT, 1 employer (intergroup relations)
GRE:n/a

APPLIED: Ohio state, Colorado state, GW, Duke, UVM, Toledo, Pitt, Boston
Interviews:
Acceptances:
Waitlists:
Rejections:

i am extremely nervous about not getting in anywhere !
hey, i applied last year and am in my first year of OTD school at USC :) ohio state really loves in state applicants (because theyre a state school), and I also found from talking to peers that they tend to reject applicants that they deem too overqualified and thus don't think will come. Duke is kind of a toss up because their program is still so new- they wont have a graduating cohort yet. Pitt's waitlist is very very flexible and moves often. Even though I was highly qualified for their program, my application was heavily pediatrics and their focus and graduate certificate is in geriatrics, so I was just not the right fit for their program. keep things like that in mind when you apply and how you form your applications. BU is always a toss up regardless of ability. I was accepted to one of the #1 programs, but not BU. keep in mind that even an interview from these schools says a lot about your qualifications to be there, regardless of the final decision. also, waitlists suck, but they do move a lot. I think from talking to people, around 1/3 of my cohort or more got in off the waitlist :) hope this helps a little!

Reactions: 3 users
STATS:
Cumulative GPA: 3.75
Prerequisite GPA: 3.67
Ob Hours: 250 hours outpatient as an paid rehabilitation aide (mainly with PTs), 8 hours inpatient on the oncology floor of a hospital, 12 hours at a nursing home
Work/Volunteer Experience: Worked as a server at the nursing home, worked as an aide, and volunteered at soup kitchens since freshman year of high school. I am also an intern for my college health and wellness department going on 1.5 years.
Letters of Rec: 1 from an OT, 1 from my internship supervisor, 1 from my former boss who is a PT.
GRE: Not required for any programs I applied to, so I did not take it.
APPLIED: TJU, Rutgers, Kean, Monmouth, George Washington, Saint Joseph's, and Temple (applied Sept 28- Oct 7)
Interviews: Temple (12/8)- withdrew my app, Monmouth (10/29), GWU (11/11)
Acceptances: Monmouth (11/01), SJU (11/07), GWU (11/22), TJU (12/21)
Waitlists: Pending
Rejections:

Last edited:
STATS:

Acceptances: University of Vermont
Waitlists:

As you can see, I've applied to a wide range of schools in size, price, rigor, stature, private/public, research, and location. A few days ago, I received my acceptance letter from UVM! I'm flabbergasted by the fact that any program will have me! As a non-traditional student with a bumpy academic history, I was unsure of my candidacy.

Does anyone have a status on the inaugural semester over at UVM? How's it going? I am slightly unsure about entering a brand-new program. Moreover, they want me to commit by Nov 11th! Is this standard practice? Am I being scammed? I doubt that I will hear from any programs until at least the end of November. How am I to the way my options, detail a budget, and visit schools? I feel pressured to commit because, as they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If anyone else is experiencing a similar dilemma, I'd love to hear about it.

Hi, have you heard back anything from UNE? I did my interview 10/17 and haven't heard anything since the confirmation email that they received it. I'm also having the same dilemma with Bay Path.

hey, i applied last year and am in my first year of OTD school at USC :) ohio state really loves in state applicants (because theyre a state school), and I also found from talking to peers that they tend to reject applicants that they deem too overqualified and thus don't think will come. Duke is kind of a toss up because their program is still so new- they wont have a graduating cohort yet. Pitt's waitlist is very very flexible and moves often. Even though I was highly qualified for their program, my application was heavily pediatrics and their focus and graduate certificate is in geriatrics, so I was just not the right fit for their program. keep things like that in mind when you apply and how you form your applications. BU is always a toss up regardless of ability. I was accepted to one of the #1 programs, but not BU. keep in mind that even an interview from these schools says a lot about your qualifications to be there, regardless of the final decision. also, waitlists suck, but they do move a lot. I think from talking to people, around 1/3 of my cohort or more got in off the waitlist :) hope this helps a little!

thats all good to know!! thank u!! yah i’m hoping ohio state gives me a chance to interview bc i’d probably go there honestly bc it’s close to michigan and way cheaper than a lot of others 🥲 i’m also considering not even applying to BU at all because it’s such a toss up and even if i did get in it’s SO ridiculously expensive… i don’t know tho I don’t think i’m overqualified for any of them tbh like my healthcare experience is pretty minimal i just want to hear back soon bc I think OSU Duke and GW i should start hearing about interviews any day now. i just hope i get interviews bc i feel like a chance to explain myself irl would make a big difference especially bc ohio state has no extra essays honestly atp i’m literally just hoping to get in anywhere

STATS:
Cumulative GPA: 3.75
Prerequisite GPA: 3.67
Ob Hours: 250 hours outpatient as an paid rehabilitation aide (mainly with PTs), 8 hours inpatient on the oncology floor of a hospital, 12 hours at a nursing home
Work/Volunteer Experience: Worked as a server at the nursing home, worked as an aide, and volunteered at soup kitchens since freshman year of high school. I am also an intern for my college health and wellness department going on 1.5 years.
Letters of Rec: 1 from an OT, 1 from my internship supervisor, 1 from my former boss who is a PT. I requested one from a professor just for Thomas Jefferson U- which just says preferred, but they are not taking my application until they have an academic LOR
GRE: Not required for any programs I applied to, so I did not take it.
APPLIED: TJU, Rutgers, Kean, Monmouth, George Washington, Saint Joseph's, and Temple (applied Sept 28- Oct 7)
Interviews: Temple scheduled (12/8), Monmouth (10/29), GWU (11/11), SJU does not require one
Acceptances: Monmouth (11/01)
Waitlists: Pending
Rejections:

when did you get the “your application is currently under review” email from GW? I applied september 25 but didn’t get that email saying it was “sent to the committee” until oct 19 … havent heard anything

when did you get the “your application is currently under review” email from GW? I applied september 25 but didn’t get that email saying it was “sent to the committee” until oct 19 … havent heard anything
hey, I got my review email on october 18 at 10:30am EST

Is anyone else applying for out-of-state schools? I have an interview with VCU, but the email said they want to do it in person. Do you think they'll deny me because I can't attend the in-person interview? I've looked on their website, but they only offered zoom interviews during COVID. I emailed them literally 5 mins after they emailed me about the interview, but they have yet to respond back. Is that a bad sign??? How long should I wait before I start pestering them with emails and phone calls?

Is anyone else applying for out-of-state schools? I have an interview with VCU, but the email said they want to do it in person. Do you think they'll deny me because I can't attend the in-person interview? I've looked on their website, but they only offered zoom interviews during COVID. I emailed them literally 5 mins after they emailed me about the interview, but they have yet to respond back. Is that a bad sign??? How long should I wait before I start pestering them with emails and phone calls?
hey, I'm not familiar with VCU but I am applying to out-of-state schools. I was invited to an in-person interview at Emory & Henry in Virginia, but I was also offered a virtual interview since I'm unable to attend.
I would try not to worry about it too much! I'm sure they get a lot of out-of-state applicants. If they are insistent that you interview on-site, maybe they could at least schedule it a month or two out to give you some time to make arrangements? I'd give them a few days and then try reaching out again!

Hi, all! :)

Degree: BS in Psychology, certificate in American Sign Language
GPA: 3.73
Pre-req GPA: 3.6 - 4.0, depending on the school
Shadowing Hours: ~70 between three settings: orthotics & prosthetics, outpatient hand therapy, and a hippotherapy facility
Extracurriculars/Volunteer: conducted psych research for a semester in undergrad, member of the Greater St. Louis Association for the Deaf, Deaf Communication Studies club member, Support Service Provider for the DeafBlind, completed a Certified Nursing Assistant program, studied abroad in Italy, volunteered at an organic farm, environment & sustainability club officer, and I currently volunteer 3 hours weekly doing equine-assisted therapy with children with disabilities
Work: worked at an after-school art/science program for an elementary school, Behavior Technician at an autism clinic, billing/administrative assistant at an urgent care, worked summers in the swimming pool industry for 8 years & currently employed by PoolCorp
Letters of Req: 1 OT, 1 professor (psychologist), and my undergrad advisor (psychologist who is now the dean of Health Sciences)
Applying to: WashU, Maryville, Cox College in Missouri, Emory & Henry OTD, & Radford (both locations) in Virginia, Brenau Gainesville, Tennessee Wesleyan, and Lenoir Rhyne (NC & SC locations).

Interviews: WUSTL, Brenau (11/4), Emory & Henry (1/24), Radford (12/2), Cox College (1/17), Tennessee Wesleyan
Accepted: Maryville (12/5), Radford (12/5), Brenau (1/4), WashU (1/15)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

Last edited:
hey, I'm not familiar with VCU but I am applying to out-of-state schools. I was invited to an in-person interview at Emory & Henry in Virginia, but I was also offered a virtual interview since I'm unable to attend.
I would try not to worry about it too much! I'm sure they get a lot of out-of-state applicants. If they are insistent that you interview on-site, maybe they could at least schedule it a month or two out to give you some time to make arrangements? I'd give them a few days and then try reaching out again!
Thank you! They emailed me like an hour ago letting me know that the virtual interviews will be on Dec 2nd!

STATS:
Cumulative GPA: 3.24-3.3
Prerequisite GPA: varies
Observation Hours: 115 (40 from peds, 45 from hand therapy, 40 from geriatric)
-rehab tech 2x at diff SNF's
-note taker @ student disability services
-worked at a country club w kids as an attendant
- mentor at college for students w/ intellectual and developmental disabilities
- first-year experience peer mentor
- began a club/organization for mental health
-a member of OT/PT society
-secretary of best buddies
-a member of a sorority
-secretary of Hillel
Letters of Rec: 2 OT's, 2 Professors
GRE: lets not go there

APPLIED: Barry U, FIU, TWU-Houston, GW, WUSTL, Advent Health, NYIT, USC and applied to Duke on 01/15

Interviews: WUSTL, Barry U (11/8), TWU-Houston (11/19), GW (11/22), NYIT (01/10), Advent Health (02/24), FIU (02/18)

Acceptances: Barry U (11/20), NYIT (01/13) TWU-Houston (03/24), FIU (03/24)
Waitlists: TWU-Houston (12/09), WUSTL (01/17), USC (01/31)

Rejections: WUSTL (03/01)

Attending: FIU!!!!!

Good luck all <3

Last edited:
STATS:
Cumulative GPA: 3.24-3.3
Prerequisite GPA: varies
Observation Hours: 115 (40 from peds, 45 from hand therapy, 40 from geriatric)
-rehab tech 2x once at peds clinic/ once at snf
-note taker @ student disability services
-worked at a country club w kids as an attendant
- mentor at college for students w/ intellectual and developmental disabilities
- first year experience peer mentor
- began a club/organzation for mental health )president/founder
-member of OT/PT society
-secretary of best buddies
-member of sorority
-secretary of hillel
Letters of Rec: 2 OT's, 2 Professors
GRE: lets not go there

APPLIED: Barry U, TWU-Houston, GWU, WUSTL, AHU, GSU, UIC
Interviews: Barry U (11/8), TWU-Houston (11/19), WUSTL
Acceptances:
Waitlists:

Good luck all <3
Interviewing for TWU Houston this weekend as well! Good luck!!

Major
Interviews: Brenau University (9/19), Virginia Commonwealth University (12/2), NO interview at Lenoir-Rhyne just a phone call letting me know I was accepted.

Acceptances
Rejections and Why
: Shenandoah University (didn't meet 3.0 GPA), Midwestern University - Glendale (did not meet the 2.75 GPA requirement),
Waitlist:
I found out that Lenoir-Rhyne has a seat deposit of 900$, is that normal??? The lady said it's the equivalent of one credit hour. I was able to find the seat deposit for one of the schools (James Madison) it was 500$. Does anyone know the deposit amount for other schools? I don't know if I want to take this school, especially with the seat deposit being almost a thousand dollars. They're sending the paperwork out on December 1st, and they want a decision by December 15th.

I found out that Lenoir-Rhyne has a seat deposit of 900$, is that normal??? The lady said it's the equivalent of one credit hour. I was able to find the seat deposit for one of the schools (James Madison) it was 500$. Does anyone know the deposit amount for other schools? I don't know if I want to take this school, especially with the seat deposit being almost a thousand dollars. They're sending the paperwork out on December 1st, and they want a decision by December 15th.
Nova last year was 1k

Congrats on getting accepted!! That’s awesome! I applied there too. I can’t speak for their deposit, but I was curious when you submitted your application?

Congrats on getting accepted!! That’s awesome! I applied there too. I can’t speak for their deposit, but I was curious when you submitted your application?
I finalized Lenoir's essay portion on 7/26/22; the other stuff was done the same day the application process opened. So I finished all of my essays at all of my schools on or before the 26th, but I was super worried because I didn't get my 3rd letter of recommendation until 8/30. I wanted to get a jump on everything because I knew my overall gpa and science gpa were severely lacking, and my best friend told me that I should submit everything as soon as possible because it's almost like a first come, first serve type thingy. Plus, I didn't wanna get burned out.😅 Wait, edit that first sentence; I did have to wait for my transcripts to come in, so 7/27/22 for all of my applications to be finalized, but I finished everything that didn't require me to wait on someone on 7/22/22.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm so jealous; my second choice school was Emory! I also got an interview with Brenau, but I haven't heard anything back from them, so I'm calling it as a dud. Plus, the cost of living there is super high, so I can't live in Gainesville. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Nova last year was 1k
Jesus! But that's Florida, right? I would expect the popular states to be high (if I had known about seat deposits). But South Carolina and North Carolina both being 900$ is insane. I guess it makes sense because they dropped it down from 27 months to 24 months so they gotta squeeze as much money out of you as they can.

Degree: B.S in Psychology
GPA: 3.492
Pre-req GPA: between a 3.0-3.3 (varies)
Shadowing Hours: Outpatient Rehab clinic-Hand&Burn focused (60 hrs), Pediatric Outpatient (60 hrs)
Extracurriculars/Volunteer, Dance Marathon (3 years), Sorority (4 years), VP of Risk Management Panhellenic Executive Board (1 yr), CECO Intern (200 hours), Panhellenic Recruitment Guide (1yr), Sorority sisterhood chair (1 yr), Campus food pantry volunteer (24 hours), Camp Boggy Creek volunteer (12 hrs)
Work: Substitute Teacher/Para (current), Bartender (current), Supervisor at previous job, Housing office assistant (1 yr, 9 months), YMCA counselor (8 months),
GRE: Q: V:143145 AW:4.5
Letters of Req: 2 OTs,1 professor, 1 internship coordinator
Applying to: Georgia State, Jacksonville University, Florida Gulf Coast, University of Florida, University of St. Augustine

Interviews: Georgia (11/17), Jax (12/3-withdrawing application though)
Accepted: Georgia (11/18), USAHS (12/14)
Waitlisted: UF (1/9)
Rejected: FGCU (pre-req GPA)

Attending: Georgia

Last edited:
Has anyone who applied to Ohio State heard back from them about interviewing yet? Just curious thanks!

Hi everyone! As of 12/15/2022
Degree: Interdisciplinary Humanities; went back to school after B.A. and got an A.S. in Biological Sciences Emphasis in Health Science and A.S. in Liberal Arts emphasis in Math & Science
GPA: varies by university (I attended many). Post-Baccalaureate: 3.88
Pre-req GPA: Science: 3.72; Math 3.87
Volunteer/Observation: 120 Hours. Shadowed Director of Rehabilitation in an Assisted Living/Memory Care facility, volunteered with outdoor pediatric company, private volunteer with adult with LOMEDS (late-onset myoclonic epilepsy in Down Syndrome), observed hand therapy clinic, Other volunteer: swim-a-thons, aquatics department fundraisers, photographer and writer for a car racing organization
Work: Certified personal trainer, certified swim team coach, certified swim instructor, certified aqua fitness instructor at several gyms and at a senior living facility
Extracurriculars: Teaching Assistant Biology Department, Graphic Design, several digital art classes (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects)
Letters of Req: 2 professional; 1 volunteer supervisor from assisted living facility; 1 private volunteer supervisor; 1 science professor
Applying to: Dominican, Samuel Merritt both in California
Interviewed: Dominican University (11/12), Samuel Merritt (12/3)
Accepted: Samuel Merritt, Dominican University
Waitlisted: N/A
Rejected: N/A
Attending:

Now the waiting begins! Good luck!

Last edited:

Major

Acceptances
Rejections and Why
Waitlist:
Hi everyone! As of 12/11/2022
Degree: Interdisciplinary Humanities; went back to school after B.A. and got an A.S. in Biological Sciences Emphasis in Health Science and A.S. in Liberal Arts emphasis in Math & Science
GPA: varies by university (I attended many). Post-Baccalaureate: 3.88
Pre-req GPA: Science: 3.72; Math 3.87
Volunteer/Observation: 120 Hours. Shadowed Director of Rehabilitation in an Assisted Living/Memory Care facility, volunteered with outdoor pediatric company, private volunteer with adult with LOMEDS (late-onset myoclonic epilepsy in Down Syndrome), observed hand therapy clinic, Other volunteer: swim-a-thons, aquatics department fundraisers, photographer and writer for a car racing organization
Work: Certified personal trainer, certified swim team coach, certified swim instructor, certified aqua fitness instructor at several gyms and at a senior living facility
Extracurriculars: Teaching Assistant Biology Department, Graphic Design, several digital art classes (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects)
Letters of Req: 2 professional; 1 volunteer supervisor from assisted living facility; 1 private volunteer supervisor; 1 science professor
Applying to: Dominican, Samuel Merritt both in California
Interviewed: Dominican University (11/12), Samuel Merritt (12/3)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

Now the waiting begins! Good luck!
congrats on being accepted that’s hwere

Major

Acceptances
Rejections and Why
Waitlist:
congrats on lenoir. What do you think they focused more on with the for acceptance?

Edited on 11/12

Degree
: B.S. Child and Family Development; also grad certificate in Early Childhood and Mental Health and earned credentials.
GPA: not sure
Pre-req GPA: varies by program
Fieldwork Hours: 600-700+ I currently work as an aide and did a lot of observation as a hospital volunteer
Extracurriculars/Volunteer: children's hospital volunteer (~560), lots of involvement with the AAPI community, Dance Marathon, hospital intern (240 hours), held various leadership roles including in the AAPI community, co-founded and was the vice president of my Pre-OT organization, and hold a position in my hospital internship.
Work: Rehab aide working with OT's in hand therapy clinics and pediatrics, child care worker (3 years), behavior tech (6 months)
Letters of Req: 2 OTR/Ls, 1 supervisor from my hospital internship, 1 professor from my grad certificate class
Applying to: USC, Loma Linda, Dominican, Samuel Merritt, Boston U,
Interviewed: Loma Linda (10/12), Dominican University (11/12), Samuel Merritt (12/3)
Accepted: Loma Linda (11/11)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

Best of luck everyone! :)
Have you heard back from Samuel Merritt?

Major: Neuroscience and Behavior
Overall GPA: 3.679
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5
Letters of recommendation: 3 OTs, 1 dean of faculty, 1 prof
Shadowing Hours: 100+ in various settings (Peds, OT’s, Assistant Teacher)
Applying to: BU, Tufts, NYU, Columbia, GW, MGH
Interviews: BU, MGH
Acceptances: BU (12/16)
Rejections:
Waitlist:

Good luck everyone!!