General Admissions & OTCAS Occupational therapy 2022-2023 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
STATS:
Major:
Kinesiology
Concentration: Patterns in Human Development
Cumulative GPA: 3.74
Prerequisite GPA: 3.93 - 3.79
Observation Hours: 42 hours - 16 hours inpatient acute care and 26 hours outpatient pediatric clinic
Work/Volunteer Experience: DSP at a residential facility for adults with autism, four different customer service jobs, member of PT/OT club, activities committee for my sorority, undergrad research for one semester, tutor for a student with autism, and volunteer for other sorority’s philanthropy. Also, CITI, CPR/BLS, and First Aid certified.
Letters of Rec: 4 - one from a professor, one from an OT, and two from employers
GRE: N/A

APPLIED: OSU, Rush University, Midwestern University Downers Grove, Kettering College, Lincoln Memorial University, and Gannon University
Interviews: Midwestern University Downers Grove (9/7), Lincoln Memorial University (9/8), Kettering College writing sample invitation (9/8), Rush University (10/4), Gannon University (did not attend interview offered on 10/13), and OSU (11/14)
Acceptances: Midwestern University Downers Grove (9/26), Lincoln Memorial University (10/21), Kettering College (11/18), Rush University (12/6), OSU (12/16)
Waitlists: N/A
Rejections: N/A
Attending: OSU!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
STATS:
Degree: BS Double Major; Human Health Sciences and Psychology
Concentration: Pre-Occupational Therapy
Cumulative GPA: 3.99
Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
Observation Hours: 70+ hours in pediatrics, 40 hours in hand therapy (110+ hours total)
Work/Volunteer Experience:
Camp Counselor for children and young adults with disabilities (3 years), Volunteered at pediatric OT clinic (1 summer), Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity Member (1 year), Service Dogs Sitter (1 year), Caregiver at Specialized Memory Care Facility (1 year), Swim Team Coach (1 year), Developmental Research Assistant (1 semester), Wayfinder at UK Chandler Hospital (1 semester), Daycare Camp Teacher (1 summer), Pre-OT club founding member (2 years), Volunteered at COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic (1 semester)
GRE: did not take
Letters of Rec: 1 OT, 1 Research Professor, 1 Human Health Sciences Professor
APPLIED: Belmont, Indiana University, Midwestern University, Wash U, Thomas Jefferson, OSU, Toledo, Rush
Interviews: Midwestern University DG (9/23), Wash U(9/28), Belmont (9/30), Indiana University (11/12), Rush (11/4), OSU (12/9)
Acceptances: Midwestern University DG (9/26), Belmont (10/5), Thomas Jefferson (10/20), Indiana University (11/16), Toledo (11/23), Rush (12/6), OSU (12/16)
Waitlists: N/A
Attending: Ohio State University!!

Updated 1/11/23

Hey there 😊
Degree: B.S in Child Development
GPA: 3.9
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
Shadowing Hours: 175+ in three different settings (Neurological rehab, pediatric outpatient, outdoor/neurodivergent OT)
Extracurriculars/Volunteer: Pre-OT club member/Secretary, volunteer captain at local food bank, Kindergarten ASD classroom support (won an Award for outstanding youth volunteer from school district), marching band and community orchestra member
Internships: 175hr internship at CECO (school for children and young adults with motor and intellectual disabilities), 370hr internship at Early Steps (early intervention/developmental evaluations for babies and toddlers)
Work: Facilitator at Orlando Science Center, piano teacher for ASD students, babysitting for school-age kids with ASD, Program Assistant at Conductive Education Center of Orlando (CECO), Attractions Attendant at Universal Orlando (current) and Intake Coordinator/Assistant at Early Steps (current)
GRE: Only required by and sent to FGCU -- combined 297
Letters of Req: 2 OTs plus Kindergarten ASD teacher and UCF Degree Program Coordinator/Advisor
Applying to: Florida Gulf Coast University and University of Florida

Interviews: Scheduled with FGCU in January on 1/13 :)
Accepted: University of Florida

Attending University of Florida :giggle:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Edited 12/22

Major: Human Development & Family Studies
Undergrad: Florida State University
Overall GPA: 3.93
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
Letters of recommendation: 1 OT, 1 professor, 1 supervisor from undergrad practicum
Shadowing Hours: 100+ school based & hand
Applied to: MUSC, Nova Southeastern, Jacksonville University, USAHS (St. Aug campus), Gannon, Monmouth
Interviews: MUSC (1/27), Nova (video essay), JU, Gannon, Monmouth
Acceptances: JU, Monmouth, USAHS, Nova, Gannon
Rejections: n/a
Waitlist: n/a

Last edited:
Letters of recommendation: 1 OT, 1 professor, 1 supervisor from undergrad practicum
Applied to: MUSC, Nova Southeastern, Jacksonville University, USAHS (St. Aug campus), Gannon, Monmouth
Acceptances: JU, Monmouth, USAHS
Congrats on your acceptances! Do you mind sharing the timeline of JU, USAHS, and Gannon? When did you apply and when did they reach out? Thanks!

Updated 12/18:

Hi!
Major: Human Development and Family Science
Minor: Disability Studies and Speech and Hearing Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre Req GPA: 3.8-4.0(Depending on school)
GRE: Not required
Schools I Applied To: Boston University, University of Pittsburgh, MGH, Tufts University, Ohio State University, Belmont University Extracurriculars/Work/Volunteer: Research Assistant(Gun Violence Prevention 2+ years), Teachers Assistant( Lifespan Development, Family Development, Human sexuality, 2+ years), College Mentors for Kids(2+ years), TOPS Internship(Work with college aged students with developmental disabilities), Buckeyethon(General body member, Engagement coordinator, Family Program Coordinator, 2+ years), Kappa Kappa Gamma( Member, Nominating committee, Recruitment committee/Day Chair, PR committee), Friends of Karen, Mental Health America, Reading is Fundamental
Observation Hours:
80+ Hours in Skilled Nursing Facility(Brain injury, Subacute care, Aging, Geriatrics)
30+ Hours in Rehabilitation Center(Acute care, Aging, Geriatrics)
Letters: 2 OTs, 2 Professors I TA for/TA advisor, Research advisor
Good luck everyone!

Interviews: Belmont University(9/30), Boston University(10/27), MGH(11/18), Ohio State(12/9)
Acceptances: Belmont University(10/5), University of Pittsburgh(11/8), MGH Health Institute (12/13), Boston University(12/16), Ohio State(12/17), Tufts University(12/20)
Waitlist: N/A

Attending: Boston University!!!!
Congrats! Do you mind sharing a little bit about your Belmont interview? Any tips?

Congrats on your acceptances! Do you mind sharing the timeline of JU, USAHS, and Gannon? When did you apply and when did they reach out? Thanks!
Thank you!! I submitted my otcas for all programs on 10/31.

St. Augustine doesn’t do an interview but I had my phone call with my enrollment advisor on 11/15 confirming all of my information and then was accepted 12/20.

I received the JU invite on 11/16, interviewed 12/3 and was accepted 12/5.

I received the Gannon invite on 11/29 and interviewed on 12/16, still waiting to hear back! Hope this helps!!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing a little bit about your Belmont interview? Any tips?
Thank you! It was honestly awhile ago now I kind of forget, but from what I recall I believe there were 2 10 minute interviews with 1 staff member in each. The interviews were pretty personable and there was time for questions, so I would definitely come with some prepared! I would just say in general try and stay calm and be as genuine to yourself as possible because I felt like they were definitely looking more at personality rather than have the perfect or "right" response. Good luck with everything and let me know if you have anymore questions!

Did anyone get into Pacific University in Oregon? I would love to connect :)

Thank you!! I submitted my otcas for all programs on 10/31.

St. Augustine doesn’t do an interview but I had my phone call with my enrollment advisor on 11/15 confirming all of my information and then was accepted 12/20.

I received the JU invite on 11/16, interviewed 12/3 and was accepted 12/5.

I received the Gannon invite on 11/29 and interviewed on 12/16, still waiting to hear back! Hope this helps!!
Thank you so much this was very helpful!

Thank you! It was honestly awhile ago now I kind of forget, but from what I recall I believe there were 2 10 minute interviews with 1 staff member in each. The interviews were pretty personable and there was time for questions, so I would definitely come with some prepared! I would just say in general try and stay calm and be as genuine to yourself as possible because I felt like they were definitely looking more at personality rather than have the perfect or "right" response. Good luck with everything and let me know if you have anymore questions!
Thank you so much! This is super helpful! What did you think of Belmont? Anything that stood out to you negatively or positively when you went?

Sorry for the late response I’ve been focused on finding an apartment in South Carolina.🥲 For me I think they focused more on the fact that I submitted everything as fast as possible. I finalized Lenoir's essay portion on 7/26/22, but I didn't get my 3rd letter of recommendation until 8/30. I wanted to get a jump on everything because I knew my overall gpa and science gpa were severely lacking, and my best friend told me that I should submit everything as soon as possible because it's almost like a first come, first serve type thingy. I did have to wait for my transcripts to come in, so 7/27/22 for all of my applications to be finalized, but I finished everything that didn't require me to wait on someone on 7/22/22. The important part of the email they sent says, “
Dear Diamond,

Congratulations! It is my pleasure to inform you that your application for Early Decision admission into the Master of Science in Occupational Therapy program has been approved for the Fall 2023 term for the Columbia, SC campus.”

I never applied for early decision nor did i know they had that option but I’m grateful! Good luck!!! 🥰

As of 8/31/22: Edit 9/19/22: Edit 11/7/22: Edit 11/14/22

Major
: Basic and Applied Sciences (Double Major Biology and Psychology)
Minor: Chemistry
Overall GPA: 2.62
Pre-Req GPA: 3.1-3.3 (depending on the schools)
GRE: I only applied to the schools that didn't require the GRE. I didn't take it because I thought the whole test was fill-in-the-blank (no one told me differently until five days before the application process started), but if I don't get in, I'm taking it before I apply next year.
Schools Applied: Abilene Christian University, Brenau University, Emory & Henry College, James Madison University, Lenoir-Rhyne University (SC & NC), Midwestern University - Glendale, Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences/Mary Baldwin University, Radford University, Shenandoah University, University of New Mexico, Virginia Commonwealth University, Colorado State University
Volunteer: Volunteer with Behavioral Psychologist for one month. It was basically like a job; I volunteered M-F, 6 am-1 pm weekly that month.
Observation Hours: 65 shadowing hours with OTs (12 of those were in a Neurological Rehab facility, and the rest were all pediatric settings)
I cannot get any more hours; every place has told me flat out no, or they just refused to respond to me (no matter how many times I pester them). And many of the OTs (I live in TN) quit due to COVID. One OT could allow me to shadow, but apparently, he's new and refuses to work with students. There are quite a few old people's homes, but even with the vaccines, they aren't accepting students. I have already concluded that this is the maximum amount of hours I will ever get unless I buy a car and travel 45+ mins away to another city.
Letters: 2 OTs, 1 Professor, 1 academic advisor. (I had another OT who said she'd write me one, but she never did. I kept asking, and she said she would, but she just didn't. The 2nd OT didn't send it in until today.)
Interviews: Brenau University (9/19), Virginia Commonwealth University (12/2), NO interview at Lenoir-Rhyne just a phone call letting me know I was accepted.

Acceptances
: Lenoir-Rhyne University (NC & SC)-> 900$ deposit
Rejections and Why
: Shenandoah University (didn't meet 3.0 GPA), Midwestern University - Glendale (did not meet the 2.75 GPA requirement),
Waitlist:
Final edit: Attending: Lenoi-Rhyne University Columbia, SC.
Good luck everybody! 🥰

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I also interviewed at/was accepted to Belmont so wanted to offer my insight too! Everyone was super welcoming and the current students were very nice. You start all together in a group but eventually, they'll split you into 4 subgroups. My group interviewed first which was nice bc we got it out of the way. I interviewed with one faculty member and she was super nice and really chill. I asked about mission trips/volunteer service in this interview, it was ab 15 minutes. Then I interviewed with another faculty member who was so nice and impressed that I asked questions ab research and their interprofessional programs, so definitely ask similar questions. Then after it's 2 lab demos and then an informal Q&A w students (the Q&A does not affect your interview at all, so feel free to ask the students whatever. I think I asked about things to do outside of school). They wrapped it up with an info session about the next steps/financial stuff and they did mention that they usually fill most spots in Sep./Nov. but they do typically use their entire waitlist since people have other offers/change their minds. I interviewed on 11/18 which was a Friday but they informed me that I was accepted the MONDAY after... super quick turnaround.

My biggest piece of advice is 1.) come prepared, study a lot about the program, and know kind of a "Why Belmont" and 2.) be yourself (cheesy I'm sorry.) They really just want to get to know you.
I loved Belmont but will not be attending! Good luck!

Hi! I also interviewed at/was accepted to Belmont so wanted to offer my insight too! Everyone was super welcoming and the current students were very nice. You start all together in a group but eventually, they'll split you into 4 subgroups. My group interviewed first which was nice bc we got it out of the way. I interviewed with one faculty member and she was super nice and really chill. I asked about mission trips/volunteer service in this interview, it was ab 15 minutes. Then I interviewed with another faculty member who was so nice and impressed that I asked questions ab research and their interprofessional programs, so definitely ask similar questions. Then after it's 2 lab demos and then an informal Q&A w students (the Q&A does not affect your interview at all, so feel free to ask the students whatever. I think I asked about things to do outside of school). They wrapped it up with an info session about the next steps/financial stuff and they did mention that they usually fill most spots in Sep./Nov. but they do typically use their entire waitlist since people have other offers/change their minds. I interviewed on 11/18 which was a Friday but they informed me that I was accepted the MONDAY after... super quick turnaround.

My biggest piece of advice is 1.) come prepared, study a lot about the program, and know kind of a "Why Belmont" and 2.) be yourself (cheesy I'm sorry.) They really just want to get to know you.
I loved Belmont but will not be attending! Good luck!
Thank you so so much! This is so helpful :)

Does anyone know how schools feel about pending prerequisites? I have two final prerequisites that I will be taking this spring and I am worried that it is hurting my chances that they are not already complete.

Does anyone know how schools feel about pending prerequisites? I have two final prerequisites that I will be taking this spring and I am worried that it is hurting my chances that they are not already complete.
I don't think it matters to the school if you have 1 or 2 not yet done, as long as you complete them before matriculation.

Updated 1/11/23

Hey there 😊
Degree: B.S in Child Development
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
Shadowing Hours: 175+ in three different settings (Neurological rehab, pediatric outpatient, outdoor/neurodivergent OT)
Extracurriculars/Volunteer: Pre-OT club member/Secretary, volunteer captain at local food bank, Kindergarten ASD classroom support (won an Award for outstanding youth volunteer from school district), marching band and community orchestra member
Internships: 175hr internship at CECO (school for children and young adults with motor and intellectual disabilities), 370hr internship at Early Steps (early intervention/developmental evaluations for babies and toddlers)
Work: Facilitator at Orlando Science Center, piano teacher for ASD students, babysitting for school-age kids with ASD, Program Assistant at Conductive Education Center of Orlando (CECO), Attractions Attendant at Universal Orlando (current) and Intake Coordinator/Assistant at Early Steps (current)
GRE: Only required by and sent to FGCU -- combined 297
Letters of Req: 2 OTs plus Kindergarten ASD teacher and UCF Degree Program Coordinator/Advisor
Applying to: Florida Gulf Coast University and University of Florida

Interviews: Scheduled with FGCU in January on 1/13 :)
Accepted: University of Florida

Attending University of Florida :giggle:
So happy for you Sophie!!

I doesn't matter as long as you complete them before matriculation. I already got accepted to BU and Tufts and have one pre-req pending. The acceptance letter did mention I had to complete the pre-req with a B or higher.

Degree: Kinesiology with a Concentration in Exercise Science
Pre-req GPA: 3.8
Shadowing Hours: 40 with a pediatric OT, 35 at a hand clinic, and 150ish with a rehab clinic that has PT/OT
Extracurriculars/Volunteer: I tutor a young child twice a week, volunteer with various clubs around my college town for children with disabilities, work as a rehab tech, part-time job in retail, and I was on my sorority's Executive Council and did a ton of work for our philanthropy.
GRE: did not take (not required for any of my programs)
Letters of Rec: 1 OT, a professor, and my sorority advisor who works in rehab.
Applying to: Belmont, UF, Arkansas, TTUHSC, UAB

Interviews: Belmont (11/18), TTUHSC, UAB (12/16), Arkansas (01/26)
Accepted: Belmont, UAB
Waitlisted: TTUHSC
Rejected:
UF

Degree: Kinesiology with a Concentration in Exercise Science
Pre-req GPA: 3.8
Shadowing Hours: 40 with a pediatric OT, 35 at a hand clinic, and 150ish with a rehab clinic that has PT/OT
Extracurriculars/Volunteer: I tutor a young child twice a week, volunteer with various clubs around my college town for children with disabilities, work as a rehab tech, part-time job in retail, and I was on my sorority's Executive Council and did a ton of work for our philanthropy.
GRE: did not take (not required for any of my programs)
Letters of Rec: 1 OT, a professor, and my sorority advisor who works in rehab.
Applying to: Belmont, UF, Arkansas, TTUHSC, UAB

Interviews: Belmont (11/18), TTUHSC, UAB (12/16), Arkansas (01/26)
Accepted: Belmont, UAB
Waitlisted: TTUHSC
Rejected: UF
I was accepted to UAB too! Are you going?

Hey! I'm a second-year OTD student at Kean. Feel free to ask me any questions about OTCAS, the admissions process, or OT school!

Edited 12/22

Acceptances: JU, Monmouth, USAHS, Nova, Gannon
Have you heard back from MUSC admissions?

when did you get the “your application is currently under review” email from GW? I applied september 25 but didn’t get that email saying it was “sent to the committee” until oct 19 … havent heard anything
Did you ever hear from GWU?