Occupational Therapy Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ltruiz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning on entering Occupational Therapy School in the Fall of 2011 and have always wanted to live and work in Latin America and I was wondering if Occupational Therapy is a health field that is utilized and needed abroad, especially in Latin America?

Would I, once graduated with my masters in OT, be certified to work abroad also?

I have looked for any information regarding this but have mostly just came across volunteer positions... If anyone has any more information I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on working as an OT/manual therapist in Costa Rica eventually, where I used to live. It is an accepted career there, though only one university there offers it. With a US degree I am sure you will have to take a licensing exam of some sort. Be sure to check in whatever country you go to.

You should know, though, that OTs are much more rare in poorer countries, and jobs do not abound. Simply put, people who do not have very much money and have to travel far (from countryside to city) for OT are less likely to do it. Rehab centers do exist in the big cities, but positions there I'm sure are highly competitive. National health care systems probably employ a few OTs in various hospitals but not many! It is not AT ALL like it is in the US. Disabled people are often not treated at all, in any way.

Your best bet (in my opinion) is to open your own practice. Live and work in a community you love and are a part of. You will become well known and be successful because there won't be much competition. Keep your prices very low so that people who need you most can come to you. And if you don't speak fluently already, learn spanish! Communicating effortlessly with your community in Latin America will make a huge difference in the quality of your experiences there.

Message deleted.

Last edited: