joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
Destroyer 15 says COOH from COOH-C-C=O is beta keto.

destroyer 42 says O=C-C-OH is alpha hydroxy ketone

I think we don't count the carbonyl carbon and the carbon attached to the carbonyl carbon is alpha and then beta.

Shouldn't the first one be called alpha keto since COOH is attached to the alpha carbon of carbonyl carbon?

May 22, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Destroyer 15 says COOH from COOH-C-C=O is beta keto.

destroyer 42 says O=C-C-OH is alpha hydroxy ketone

I think we don't count the carbonyl carbon and the carbon attached to the carbonyl carbon is alpha and then beta.

Shouldn't the first one be called alpha keto since COOH is attached to the alpha carbon of carbonyl carbon?
I believe it should be beta keto carboxylic acid right?? the C in COOH doesn't count. The next one is alphan, and the one after (C=O) is beta. so beta-keto carboxylic

OP
joonkimdds

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
I believe it should be beta keto carboxylic acid right?? the C in COOH doesn't count. The next one is alphan, and the one after (C=O) is beta. so beta-keto carboxylic
No, the first one is beta, 2nd one is alpha, that's what the book says.

May 22, 2009
Status
Dental Student
No, the first one is beta, 2nd one is alpha, that's what the book says.
So I think it should be C(doesnt count)OOH-C(alpha)-C(beta)=O or C(beta)OOH-C(alpha)-C(doesnt count)=O depending on which group you wanna say what's beta to what. In the first, the carbonyl is beta to carboxylic acid. the second one the carboxylic acid is beta to the carbonyl. same thing

The 42 is o=C(doesnt count)-C(alpha)-OH

OP
joonkimdds

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
Oh so I guess C of COOH also counts. I thought C in functional group doesn't count but I guess I was wrong.

Pajamasam9090

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2008
Status
I'm glancing at it right now. You're talking about carbon "C" correct?

The C in the COOH indeed doesn't count. If you look, that makes the alpha carbon the carbon that the COOH is connected to the ring with. Next Carbon in the ring (going down) is the ketone group. Since it's the second carbon it is beta.

^_^ at least that's what I think.

and in 42...
you have the COOH group on the second Carbon so the next carbon to the right is just one over, which would make it alpha. There's an alcohol group so it's called alpha hydroxy.