ochem destroyer #154

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monsieurwise

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The solution for this one states that acid+alcohol = ester+water. That only applies to ACETIC acid right? Because I know alcohol+acid (like H2SO4)= alkene and water.
Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

The solution for this one states that acid+alcohol = ester+water. That only applies to ACETIC acid right? Because I know alcohol+acid (like H2SO4)= alkene and water.
Thanks guys!

no there are many acids besides acetic acid that can produce ester with alcohol. acid anhydride, acid chlorine, and other forms of carboxylic acid can produce ester and water.

if the acid is a strong acid, then it will react with alcohol to form an alkene.

Oh so carboxylic acid derivatives plus alcohol would form esters, and other strong ones like h2so4 form alkene, right? Thanks!!

Oh so carboxylic acid derivatives plus alcohol would form esters, and other strong ones like h2so4 form alkene, right? Thanks!!

remember that carboxylic acid derivatives that are more reactive than esters would form esters with alcohol. anything that is less reactive than esters (carboxylate or amide) will not form an ester

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I remember now, it's Fischer esterification we are talking about! And you are talking about that acyl reactivity graph where acyl chloride and acyl anhydride are more reactive than ester, right? Ahhhh. Thanks =)