OChem dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in organic 2 and right know we're going over organometallics, aldehydes/ketones and carboxylic acid derivatives. I have 4 days until our next exam and it seems like all my studying has been low- yield. I'm willing to put in an INSANE amount of work but need some pointers on resources/ how to proceed. I can probably earn a B but the next two exams are very important.

Thanks guys!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Synthesis questions are free points if you do enough questions forcing you to active recall reagents.

Mechanisms are pattern recognition...again from doing a lot of problems
 
I remember this being the toughest part of orgo II for me. This was one of those sections where you had to be really good at judging the relative acidity of each proton on a compound, otherwise you can't tell where it gets deprotonated and the rest of the reaction probably won't make sense. If it doesn't, odds are you removed the wrong proton. Also, know when something acts like a nucleophile or a base. Nucleophiles will almost always attack the carbonyl. Bases are likely to attack alpha hydrogens, but there are exceptions to both rules. Keep an eye on those charges. Good luck and happy memorizing.
 
AK Lectures on YouTube are good, but personally I'd just practice more. if you do the HW for the chapters that are on the exam, you should be fine. Also, I'd suggest to avoid setting limits for yourself like aiming for B instead of A. If anyone can do it, you can do it too.
 
I just feel so crappy. I have a high "C" test average and it's too late to withdraw; I just feel like I'm not going to pass. I've been reading the three assigned chapter yet I don't feel confident about any of the material. I've never had to cram for an exam and I just don't seem to be able to do it despite having 2 whole days.
 
The best thing I ever did in ochem was buy a 4 color pen. Tracking electrons became soooo much easier.

Keep going! If you can pass, it will be so much better in the long run and you'll be grateful for putting the work in.
 
Make a cheat sheet with all the most important topics and concepts that you can pinpoint. Memorize this. Next move on to practice problems and sample exams. At this point, there's probably not enough time to do all the practice problems for each chapter. Just do a sample portion of 5-10 problems for each chapter and do them until you understand the concept. Go on to the practice test. Review your answers and check the textbook for the questions you couldn't get right to understand the concepts you're not getting.
 
I normally suggest organic chemistry as a second language (as my signature suggests) but in this case I don't know how much help it would be - definitely Khan Academy. Do all the practice problems in the book that are related to what you are having problems with, if you don't have time to do all of them.
 
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I've been using Swis16's and Gulliver's advice and I seem to be getting the information into my head. My exam is later today and I think I'm ready (I took a practice exam and was 5 points from an A).

Thanks again guys!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck, let us know how it goes. This is probably your last big hurdle! (Well, other than the MCAT... which is my next hurdle and is screaming at me faster than I like)
 
I took the exam.... and felt like a mac truck hit me; best case scenario, I got a B but everyone's advice was SUPER helpful and I thank you for it.

One person from another section, whom I know is quite intelligent, said he got a score below 40 so I don't know how I feel about this exam!
 
Don't sweat it. Most teachers curve. Did yours say they curved? The best you can do for now is study like crazy, do all the problems you can, get a tutor, and be as prepared as possible for the next test/final.
 
Got a high D (literally 3 questions from passing) and I have another quiz, final and another exam all within 3 weeks in the same course-FML. I just find this class to be wholly unfair and designed to have people fail. Each question on our exam is damn near a quarter of one letter grade.

I'm really praying for a curve!

Thanks guys!
 
Last edited:
Has anyone had success begging for a grade (I've never done this but I really think this class was an anomaly)? The grading for this class has been unduly harsh and it's probably the last chem course I will take,so I think I should beg for a B.
 
Has anyone had success begging for a grade (I've never done this but I really think this class was an anomaly)? The grading for this class has been unduly harsh and it's probably the last chem course I will take,so I think I should beg for a B.

You may not be able to admit it now, but you can't hide behind excuses here.

I'm not saying you can't ever get an B in organic chemistry, but who you are TODAY wasn't capable. You need to seriously reflect on how to improve. Avoid beating yourself up but maintaining an honest dialog with yourself is important.

Don't beg for something you haven't earned. The professor can't ethically comply with your request and asking is a poor method of avoiding the fact that you have serious room for improvement.

You can improve. Time will allow you to achieve your goals. You will discover and remedy your deficiencies. If you want to...
 
I want to improve but I'm poor and cannot pay to take classes more than once. This class had no feedback and was designed for people to do poorly (e.g. covering 4 chapters in 3 weeks and then having an exam). In addition, my professor never had office hours and was a jackass. I understand integrity but at this point, I don't want to feel cheated.