Ochem on the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiDentist

G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
Moderator Emeritus
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd really appreciate it if people who have taken the DAT tell me if there is a lot of Ochem lab stuff on the ochem section. Please include details. Stuff like distallation, crystallization, etc. Methods, procedures. etc. Thanks.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Gavin,

How about NMR and IR spec? I've seen IR spec on some sample exams but how would they test NMR???

Any help would be appreciated,

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input in the other topic DesiDentist :)

There 1 lab question at all in my actual test. It tests me the difference of NMR and IR in distinguishing the compound.
I think for the lab stuff, you don't have to go into detail, just know what it is. For IR, you should be familiar with the major peaks for carbonyl and alcohol, and for NMR you should be able to know the number of peaks for a certain compound..but conceptual like the theory behind them will be unlikely to show up in the test.

Good luck!

I took DAT 10 days ago...

Be familiar with H NMR...and which H is singlet, doublet, or so on.....I encountered this question...It is a piece of cake..

Good luck...

What the hell does the iodoform test show? ketones? anyone know? :confused:

Iodoform tests for the presence of ketones.

actually its methyl ketones...i just found out....the other choices had ketones so i wasn't sure...its methyl ketones!! thanks anyways!! :)

thanks hawke!! hope all is well!! :)

How did the exam go for you?? I am taking it soon..thanks for the info!

Guys...
I took DAT yesterday. Mine didn't have any naming reaction questions in orgo, though. I thought I was lucky.

Anyways, anyone knows about the percentile? how to interprete it?

such as 50 percentile means?? what percentile will be kinda borderline (being competative in admission) considering only DAT score?

Thanks guys.... good luck for those who will take it soon~~

bres,

Congrats on taking the exam -- hope you did well also.

50th percentile means that given 100 people, you did better than 50 of them.

A strong ochem score would be a 20 (about 88 %ile) and an overall academic score would be a 20 (90 %ile). These are just rough guestimates.

How did you do?

Thanks for your info....G~
I got 29 on orgo (100%tile), ....I guess I was lucky...

anyways,
U know how they calculate academic average? does it include all sections in DAT?

Wow bres!!! Congrats on the great score!!!
:clap:

just took the DAT this morning. there were three questions concerning lab methods. one was with H NMR, one with polarity, and one with infrared spec.

the biology threw me way off. i didn't expect to see some of the questions that were on there. i'd go as far to say that 40% of the Biology wasn't covered in the Kaplan book. luckly, i remembered most of it from class...schweeeew!

the PAT was also a little more difficult than topscore and kaplan (i know, i might as well said "blah blah blah"). i actually thought the keyhole and top/ front/side projections were fairly easy. the angles were tough...very very close.

for what it's worth, my advice would be to study everything thoroughly the best you can. the test is different for everybody. try not to anticipate too much based on word of mouth from recent test takers. i anticipated from 10:30pm-6am last night into this morning as i was unable to sleep. worst feeling i've ever had in my life. don't do it, it's not worth it.

keep studying. take the test with confidnce. you'll make it through! life is good at the end of the tunnel!

Hey Paul

Congratulations on taking your DAT. I took the DAT back in May and I also remember the biology section asking many questions that weren't covered in the Kaplan biology section. Generally what types of questions that were on the biology section that weren't covered by Kaplan? How did you do overall?

thanks Paul.....NICE o-chem score bres!!! :clap: you should be proud!!! :clap: :D