Ochem Pre-req problem

Started by Shirafune
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Shirafune

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my school runs on the quarter system, but our ochem series is a little odd. We have 3 courses in the series which is specifically designed for students interested in healthcare professions. The 2nd and 3rd courses have lab components, but not the 1st. The 1st course has a "discussion" section which takes the place of a hands-on lab component. I filled out my primary with the information from my school's official catalog (i.e. has lab component or not).

I've been finding that I don't exactly meet the ochem pre-req for some schools because of the lab component. On the secondaries, I have just been reporting that the 1st series doesn't have a lab component, as indicated on my primary. I probably should have talked to my pre-health adviser to get some clarification before I submitted my primary but that's too late.

How strict are schools with this pre-req? I imagine it varies by the school, but in the event they need 1 full year of lab, then how can I fight/fix this? Get my school's Dean to send a letter detailing my situation or something like that? I go to a UC, so I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened.