1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

ochem question

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by swiftaqwer, May 6, 2007.

1. swiftaqwer

swiftaqwer Guest

Hope you are well. I have some questions regarding ochem

At ph=9.5, tyrosine exists with a net charge of -1. The answer explanation is that the amino terminal and side chain are neutral. While the carboxyl is negative. I understand the negative thing, but why the neutral. Why is it that some amino acid is neutral (though still depronated or protonated), while others carry charge? On the exam, how do I know if it is neutral or charged?

Thank you,
    swift

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You have to look at the R group side chains on the amino acids. Some of them have acidic/basic properties also.

4. swiftaqwer

swiftaqwer Guest

could you elaborate? Tyrosine is acidic, so why is it neutral? Why no charge?

5. PseudomonasPAO1

PseudomonasPAO1 New Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You have to know the pKas, which are normally given. For tyrosine:

http://www.biology.arizona.edu/biochemistry/problem_sets/aa/Tyrosine.html

That page seems to indicate tyrosine would be neutrally charged at pH 9.5.

6. swiftaqwer

swiftaqwer Guest

the pKa of the group is 10. The pH is 9.5. Since pI> pH, the R group is protonated.... so I had assumed that it would be positive. Yet, the anwers is neutral. Within what range of pH difference would we still consider the protonated R group (on in some other cases, depronated R group) to be neutral? Within 1 pH difference?

Thank you!

7. swiftaqwer

swiftaqwer Guest

can someone help with this question.

Thank you!

8. MSTPbound

MSTPbound student
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I don't follow your reasoning. If the pKa of the R group is 10, and the pH is 9.5, how does that get you to "pI>pH"?

pI of Tyrosine seems to be about 5.7 from my resources. So pI<pH. Does that affect your prediction?

Also, the R group of tyrosine contains a phenolic proton; so if it's protonated, then it woud be neutral - so why would you assume that it is positively charged?

Maybe the answer to your question has to do with the nature of the R-group; I don't recall having to work very hard to figure this out (usually the structure was given along with a titration curve), but I suppose that if you wanted know whether a proton-bearing group carries charge or not, you would calculate the formal charge. An -OH substituent has a formal charge of 0, so it is acidic, but neutrally charged. An -NH3 substituent is also acidic, but has a formal charge of +1.

Is any of this helping? If not, please try to clarify your question. Thanks.

9. meddoc1

2+ Year Member

When the pH is at 9.5, you have to consider the three groups on tyrosine. COOH (pK ~2), -NH3+ (pK~9.1) and the basic -R group for tyrosine is OH(pK~10). So at pH 9.5. the COOH had already depotonated so, it is COO-. Now, the NH3+ depotonate at pK~9.1 so at pH=9.5, It depotonated it H+ so -NH3+ becomes -NH2 which explain why it is neutral. Finally, because the Tyrosine R gp's pK is 10, it is not depotonated so it remains at OH group(neutral)... therefore the overall charges is (-1). Having the COO- (-1), the NH2(0) and on the R group(0). So there you go.

10. meddoc1

2+ Year Member

Do we need to remember the the structure of Amino Acid?
    Do we need to know the different groups of Amino Acid?
    So we need to know how to calculate pI for Amino Acid with R group that can be charged?