OCHEM Road Maps DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliyoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!! Ok so I am studying for the DAT (2nd time) and am struggling to make my self study ochem! I take the test in a couple weeks and am very worried about ochem. It was my lowest last time and am not feeling too much better about it. I have DAT Destroyer and know that those road maps are very helpful. I am wondering how to approach how to memorize them. Every time I look at them I just don't know where to start and there is 6 pages of them! Please any suggestions, I'm running out of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to learn all the reactions first. Once you understand what's happening then look at the road maps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt the same way about OChem roadmaps. I ended up copying them word for word twice just too see all the reaction hand written. Personally though, flash cards with mechanisms worked better for me though. I felt like the road maps were to extensive and that just having 1/2-3/4 of the roadmap in generic reaction flashcards was plenty. Hope that helps a little. If you feel really stuck, cram all of chads ochem videos in!! I think there are 13 hours of video which could be easy done in 2 days!

You mean like draw them out?

Have you watched Chads videos yet?

Write down everything he writes/says, do chads quizzes, do dat destroyer once all the way through, look at roadmaps, then do destroyer two more times.

Recipe for 20+.

Personally I rewrote them on paper, once without the product, and once with one of the reactants (the arrow) missing. I made copies then filled in the blanks to see which reactions I knew and which I needed to review more. I did them every morning towards the end of my studies

Personally I rewrote them on paper, once without the product, and once with one of the reactants (the arrow) missing. I made copies then filled in the blanks to see which reactions I knew and which I needed to review more. I did them every morning towards the end of my studies

I did something similar. I made 2 photocopies of the roadmaps. I used whiteout for all the reagents on one copy, and on the other, I used whiteout for all the products. I would usually fill out both copies once a day. Within a few days of doing this, I was able to complete everything on about 8 pages worth of diagrams in roughly 3-4 minutes.

I also agree with cacajuate. Watch Chad's videos, do all the quizzes, write detailed notes, use his outlines as a guide, and go through Destroyer at least once. Make sure to not only check your answers, but understand why the answer is correct and why the other choices are wrong. If you do all of this, you should easily be able to get 21+ for both GC and OC

I did the same as Customx, but I did the roadmap it on my IPAD.

Just do them so many times that you know them. Time put in is the only way to do it.

This. The only way to fully grasp OChem is to do practice problems until your fingers bleed.