OChem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Former Corpsman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it smart to take an O-Chem class during a summer session, meaning in about eight weeks. Please respond and give me some feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it smart to take an O-Chem class during a summer session, meaning in about eight weeks. Please respond and give me some feedback.

Well, that depends on you :) Most people probably couldn't do well in O-Chem over summer, some will do just fine. If you've got good visualization skills, can solve problems well, and have a good memory then I'd say you'll probably be okay.

So if I take the 1st half of O Chem during the Winter Semester and then the second half during the summer session do you think it will increase my odds of success? It will be the only class I take.

I took a year of O chem in a 10 week summer session. It was tough. Class/lab was 9-5 with an hour break but no 4 hour lab on friday. Every day you have to do your pre-lab/post-lab writeups(cheating was expected by our lab professor. everyone had his solutions to the labs and he didn't care if you turned in his solutions verbatim. the lab quiz was the great equalizer). Every other thursday was a lab quiz and every monday a midterm.

That said, I would do it again. I didn't do amazing(got two B's) but I think I focused too much on learning mechanisms when all I really needed to do was learn the products. I also wasted a lot of time reading the book whereas most people just went off their lecture notes. I would go ape**** trying to take o chem seriously while taking other classes at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd have to say yes. You'll find that many of the reactions follow very similar patterns, and if you learn to think about problems mechanistically, it shouldn't be too bad.

I really appreciate the advise and well I feel much better. I am going to be taking the first half of O Chem during the regular semester and then the second half during the spring session which is about eight weeks.

Once again thanks.

I took orgo I and II over the summer, got two As with a lot of effort, and I think it's one of the best academic decisions I have ever made. I say get it over with as fast as possible.

I would check to see if the prof over the academic year is also teaching the summer course. If u split it up and this is not the case, u may end up inadvertently digging a hole for yourself.

FYI I took it over the summer with lab and got As in both. I also had no life for that summer. So take ur pick.