ochem1&2, physics 1&2, bio1&2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm trying to arrange my schedule for next year (summer '05, fall '05, spring '06) for my prerequisites.... my initial plan was to take physics1 and bio1 in the 1st summer term and then physics2 and bio2 in the 2nd summer term... then take ochem1 in the fall, ochem 2 in the spring... reason why i am taking 4 classes in the summer is because a physics professor at the local community college is notoriously easy.. i've had 2 friends take him for physics in the summer and said it was a joke.. easy A

my dilemma is this: i decided to take my physics and bios in the summer cuz i just hear all these horror stories about ochem.. if its so bad, i cant even imagine how it would be condensed into a summer term... HOWEVER, i've been reading some posts that people took ochem1&2 in the summer and said it was better cuz they were immersed in it... should i take ochem1&2 in the summer.... or take ochem1/fall, ochem2/spring? even tho people took ochem in the summer and it was real fast, i have a feeling that i'll have a lot of time to concentrated during the fall/spring term if its the only class i'm gonna be taking.... then again, fall/spring classes tend to be harder than summer.. so confused :confused: your advice is appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

I personally wouldn't take biology over the short summer term, unless you have a good biology background. I'd look for a summer class that takes the full 12 weeks. Any classes at HCC or SPC are going to be fairly easy, in comparison to a 4 year school. I took a couple of prereqs (bio I, anat I & II) at the community college level and they were easy A's. Gen Chem and Organic are also easier at HCC, based on conversations with students at school.

Members don't see this ad :)
chuckcamp said:
reason why i am taking 4 classes in the summer is because a physics professor at the local community college is notoriously easy.. i've had 2 friends take him for physics in the summer and said it was a joke.. easy A

To which local community college are you referring? You can PM me if you want.

I'm currently in Physics 2 lect/lab at a Tampa community college, and I don't find the material tough, but I study. I made an A in both Physics 1 lect/lab, but it wasn't by not doing anything in class.

It's been my experience, too, that it isn't the professor which makes a class difficult; it's the students and how well they study. ;)

Ochem is not particularly difficult IMO, I only went to the class to take tests and quizes and do my labs and that was it and I had no trouble getting A's. The only test I was worried about was the national Ochem final test at the end because I thought maybe the teacher was making the class too easy, but I got an 83% on it so I guess not. The nice thing about Ochem is that the books that teach it are usually really well laid out so you can learn it on your own much faster than the instructors teach it, but you do have to take the time to sit and memorize a lot of reaction and reaction mechanisms. I think I averaged maybe 8-10 hours studying for each test, but that pretty much included learning everything since the last test or quiz so that is not too bad really. Everyone has a class here and there though that gives them trouble, while I found Ochem pretty easy, physics 3 was irritating because I was simply not interested in it. I think you should maybe use your own past experience at what interested you to help you determine what your decisions are and not rely overly on others opinions on the classes.

dgroulx & futurerxgal,

i am currently taking classes at HCC this summer. i've already gotten my bachelors degree and am just finishing prereqs for the next couple of years. although some classes are a bit easier at HCC vs. the school i went to, i havent taken sciences since high school so things are a bit foreign to me. I am currently taking A&P1 and to be quite honest, its probably as difficult as any other class that i had at emory. only difference is that i'm pretty interested in this class, so it makes my learning experience a bit easier. i currently have a B, but need an A on the last test to get an A.

futureRxGal, are you currently taking physics with prof. klinck at the dale mabry campus? my friend took physics 1 the 1st term and is in physics 2 now. he said its pretty easy, in fact he could handle another class if he had to. thats why i was planning on taking bio 1/2 along with physics 1/2 next summer.

dgroulx- you dont recommend taking biology in the summer? if it counts towards anything, i'll have my A&Ps finished by summer of next year, so would that count towards having a bit of bio experience? also, like i said to futureRxGal, i've heard physics was easy and that its very possible to have another class along with it. however, i havent heard of any complaints about biology being difficult, in comparison to ochem or A&P.. so i am assuming it is tolerable

anymore advice from anyone out there?

chuckcamp said:
futureRxGal, are you currently taking physics with prof. klinck at the dale mabry campus? my friend took physics 1 the 1st term and is in physics 2 now. he said its pretty easy, in fact he could handle another class if he had to. thats why i was planning on taking bio 1/2 along with physics 1/2 next summer.

Yes, that's the class I'm in currently. I'm taking an ethics class concurrently, and I have no problems. But, Bio 1 is a different story. I took it and Bio 2 last year in the summer, just like I'm taking physics now. I loved Bio 2 and found it way easier than Bio 1. Bio 1 is tough, and if Beaman is teaching it, I'm not sure that it would be wise to take that concurrently with Physics 1, just because Bio 1 is a lot of work and a lot to study. Do you work?

Regarding A&P, do you have Manis? I had her for Bio 1 lab last year.

chuckcamp said:
dgroulx & futurerxgal,
dgroulx- you dont recommend taking biology in the summer? if it counts towards anything, i'll have my A&Ps finished by summer of next year, so would that count towards having a bit of bio experience?

A&P I has a little bit of bio. It goes through osmosis, facilitated diffusion, electron transport, et al. But, not in the same depth as Biology. If you enjoyed that part of A & P, you'll like bio. I just think it's too much material to cram into a 6 week course.

dgroulx, i sent you a PM