OCPM 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEWmongous

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can OCPM students comment on their first year? How manageable is it? I am wondering how well the classes are taught + their difficulty - Biochem, Histo, Intro to Med, Pod Med, Anatomy. Heard very good things with biochem. Also that anatomy was most time consuming. The anatomy lab at OCPM is amazing, which is a plus especially if one is in there a lot.

How available are the faculty? I know some teach at Case Medical/Dental/etc as well as OCPM. Do they all have office hours at the campus itself?

Would you recommend taking a physio class in undergrad?

Furthermore, with the class schedule (in front of me), it says you have Anatomy Monday/Wednesday 8-12. Is it 2 hours lecture and 2 hours lab? The histology part is a bit confusing too, with "Lab sections" and "group lab." Could you please explain this?

Thanks for your help! Any additional info/thoughts would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

It is very manageable. Like any other podiatry school it can be demanding but if you put the time in then you won't have any problems. Classes are well taught and for sure anatomy is the most time consuming. Biochem and Histo can take up some time but you'll find that you spend most of your time studying anatomy.

I'll admit it would be better to have all staff at the school but it is true most of the basic science faculty teach at Case as well. For example, Dr. Landers our anatomy professor also teaches the anatomy at Case. But his assistant a Ph.D is at the school a lot. So it is easy to get questions answered by her and Dr. Landers is very approachable. We may have to travel to Case which can be a pain but if you just have a general question he responds fairly quickly to email.

I can't help you regarding the physio class as I didn't take one in undergrad. However, it would only help. As far as anatomy class is from 8am to 10am and anatomy lab is from 10am to 12pm. For Histology, we have class and then because the histo lab is done in the micro lab we split the class into two lab sections. The course doesn't really follow the schedule. We meet for class and then on Mondays only we have lab. Section A meets from 3pm to 4:30pm and lab section B meets from 5pm to 6:30pm.

On a side note I am glad I chose to attend OCPM, from an educational standpoint I don't believe it could be any better. But my only complaints are that I wish the computer lab and library were open later. Also, we are in dire need of additional study rooms. Once they accomplish this I think (my personal opinion) that OCPM will be just as good as any other school out there.

That's my two cents.

It is very manageable. Like any other podiatry school it can be demanding but if you put the time in then you won't have any problems. Classes are well taught and for sure anatomy is the most time consuming. Biochem and Histo can take up some time but you'll find that you spend most of your time studying anatomy.

I'll admit it would be better to have all staff at the school but it is true most of the basic science faculty teach at Case as well. For example, Dr. Landers our anatomy professor also teaches the anatomy at Case. But his assistant a Ph.D is at the school a lot. So it is easy to get questions answered by her and Dr. Landers is very approachable. We may have to travel to Case which can be a pain but if you just have a general question he responds fairly quickly to email.

I can't help you regarding the physio class as I didn't take one in undergrad. However, it would only help. As far as anatomy class is from 8am to 10am and anatomy lab is from 10am to 12pm. For Histology, we have class and then because the histo lab is done in the micro lab we split the class into two lab sections. The course doesn't really follow the schedule. We meet for class and then on Mondays only we have lab. Section A meets from 3pm to 4:30pm and lab section B meets from 5pm to 6:30pm.

On a side note I am glad I chose to attend OCPM, from an educational standpoint I don't believe it could be any better. But my only complaints are that I wish the computer lab and library were open later. Also, we are in dire need of additional study rooms. Once they accomplish this I think (my personal opinion) that OCPM will be just as good as any other school out there.

That's my two cents.

Awesome, appreciate the info! So is histology lecture and lab only 1x a week each then???

Any details on the new building being constructed? Has it started yet? I believe it will be another classroom but not sure. I would imagine additional study rooms would be added as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Histology lecture is 2x a week (Monday and Wednesday), with lab once a week (after class on Monday - split into sections).

OCPM had a 'meeting with the administration' early yesterday ... where concerns were expressed (mostly centering around library hours and construction of the new building).

If you were wondering about our concerns with the library, several students are upset the building proper stays open until 2am yet the library only manages to stay accessible until 10pm. Nevertheless, administration intends to correct the problem (seeing as how they were unaware it was still closing early).

We were told that construction would start very shortly (weeks) ... with the facility being completed and ready next year. The shortage of study area will be addressed within the new building. The need for additional study area is evident a couple of days before a test, not so much any other time.

Histology lecture is 2x a week (Monday and Wednesday), with lab once a week (after class on Monday - split into sections).

OCPM had a 'meeting with the administration' early yesterday ... where concerns were expressed (mostly centering around library hours and construction of the new building).

If you were wondering about our concerns with the library, several students are upset the building proper stays open until 2am yet the library only manages to stay accessible until 10pm. Nevertheless, administration intends to correct the problem (seeing as how they were unaware it was still closing early).

We were told that construction would start very shortly (weeks) ... with the facility being completed and ready next year. The shortage of study area will be addressed within the new building. The need for additional study area is evident a couple of days before a test, not so much any other time.

Thank you very much. Sounds great to have open dialogue with admins at OCPM. :thumbup:

With the school hours, isn't it only open till 2am during exams? I thought it was till 10pm or so during most weeks.

About the new building, they said it was going to be done by summer/fall 2009? I spoke to one of the recruiters the other day who was not know any specifics about it or when it was going to be finished. She thought it was going to be another lecture hall attached to the current one by some type of walkway. Let me know if you heard anything.

Thank you very much. Sounds great to have open dialogue with admins at OCPM. :thumbup:

With the school hours, isn't it only open till 2am during exams? I thought it was till 10pm or so during most weeks.

About the new building, they said it was going to be done by summer/fall 2009? I spoke to one of the recruiters the other day who was not know any specifics about it or when it was going to be finished. She thought it was going to be another lecture hall attached to the current one by some type of walkway. Let me know if you heard anything.

I know the school itself is open at least til midnight, maybe 1AM+ on normal days and later during exam weeks. The library closes at 10 normally and I'm not sure when during exams. I think it has something to do with the fact that students work there at night. All I've heard about the new building is that it will be a classroom, not sure if they'll add some more study spots but maybe because I think they also wanted to expand cafeteria space too.

great info. thanx!

Can OCPM students comment on their first year? How manageable is it? I am wondering how well the classes are taught + their difficulty - Biochem, Histo, Intro to Med, Pod Med, Anatomy. Heard very good things with biochem. Also that anatomy was most time consuming. The anatomy lab at OCPM is amazing, which is a plus especially if one is in there a lot.

How available are the faculty? I know some teach at Case Medical/Dental/etc as well as OCPM. Do they all have office hours at the campus itself?

Would you recommend taking a physio class in undergrad?

Furthermore, with the class schedule (in front of me), it says you have Anatomy Monday/Wednesday 8-12. Is it 2 hours lecture and 2 hours lab? The histology part is a bit confusing too, with "Lab sections" and "group lab." Could you please explain this?

Thanks for your help! Any additional info/thoughts would be appreciated

Most of your questions have been answered now I see, as for professors having offices at the school, they do. But since they do teach as Case they aren't always there. During the first week of classes the professors gave us their case/home phone numbers in case we had any questions. I have found that e-mail is still the best way to get in touch with them and have never had to wait more than a day for a response.

The administrative faculty told us that the new classrooms should be done by July and that they will make out third year easier than current third year students since right now they take exams on the weekend since first and second year students are there during the week.

Another thing that I thought was cool was they 2 new clinics have been opened. I can't remember exactly where they were but we were told that one of them has picked up really fast and currently has a 3 month wait for an appointment. The vice president of the school said that it is possible that the 6 exam rooms we have at the school for simulated patients may be turned into an "on school clinic" if the demand persists.

If you have any other questions please let me know, hopefully I can try to help you out.

Most of your questions have been answered now I see, as for professors having offices at the school, they do. But since they do teach as Case they aren't always there. During the first week of classes the professors gave us their case/home phone numbers in case we had any questions. I have found that e-mail is still the best way to get in touch with them and have never had to wait more than a day for a response.

The administrative faculty told us that the new classrooms should be done by July and that they will make out third year easier than current third year students since right now they take exams on the weekend since first and second year students are there during the week.

Another thing that I thought was cool was they 2 new clinics have been opened. I can't remember exactly where they were but we were told that one of them has picked up really fast and currently has a 3 month wait for an appointment. The vice president of the school said that it is possible that the 6 exam rooms we have at the school for simulated patients may be turned into an "on school clinic" if the demand persists.

If you have any other questions please let me know, hopefully I can try to help you out.

Thanks for the responses!

Considering the "new" clinics, are you talking about Euclid and Huron Hospital? I heard these 2 have been going for a while now. Or is it 2 completely different clinics?

If you don't mind, could you say your likes and dislikes of your experience at OCPM so far? You can PM me of course if you want.

Thank you :thumbup:

Considering the "new" clinics, are you talking about Euclid and Huron Hospital? I heard these 2 have been going for a while now. Or is it 2 completely different clinics?

If you don't mind, could you say your likes and dislikes of your experience at OCPM so far? You can PM me of course if you want.

The "new" clincs started when the school moved to Independence. They shut down the single clinic that was on campus (next to the Cleveland Clinic) and started up the Euclid and Huron Clinics. So, in a sense they are new, although I think really only the Euclid one is entirely new. The Huron Clinic is on the 6th floor of the hospital.

The building is open till 2am. They are building a new classroom, and are trying to expand seating in the cafeteria. Classes are very manageable. I'm sure 2nd semester will be much harder though. No need to go to histo lab. You will soon find out =)

Last edited:
The building is open till 2am. They are building a new classroom, and are trying to expand seating in the cafeteria. Classes are very manageable. I'm sure 2nd semester will be much harder though. No need to go to histo lab. You will soon find out =)

Aren't all the slides on a CD? Plus you have mediasite for everything, which is great.

So lab attendance is not mandatory (for histo)?

It's not Euclid or Huron, one is a clinic opened by the school which was originally open once a week for patients to be seen and have their feet checked, and now they are actually being treated and it has a 3 month waiting period. I believe it is only once per week still, but they are being seen on campus I believe in the simulated patient rooms.

The second clinic they either have started or will start very soon I believe due to the need for podiatric care is in cleveland, and I forgot the name of it....it's Northeast Ohio something.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's not Euclid or Huron, one is a clinic opened by the school which was originally open once a week for patients to be seen and have their feet checked, and now they are actually being treated and it has a 3 month waiting period. I believe it is only once per week still, but they are being seen on campus I believe in the simulated patient rooms.

The second clinic they either have started or will start very soon I believe due to the need for podiatric care is in cleveland, and I forgot the name of it....it's Northeast Ohio something.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for letting me know about this. OCPM seems like a strong school but I am a bit apprehensive about the clinical program.

Do you guys have a gen surgery, internal med, etc rotation like most other podiatric medical schools? How is the patient pathology (diverse cases, limb salvage, ankle stuff, etc)? How about participating in surgical cases with attendings??

I have heard some negative things about the rotations. Examples include slow clinics and weak H & P rotation - PA's in charge and they will not let you do much.

Any truth to this???

About externships, are there 6 available plus 1 month for private practice??? Thanks for your help!

I don't know specifics, I wish I did but heres the rotations I know of:

ROTATIONS 2008 2009
Radiology Rotation
*Report to the school
Pod. Medicine/Biomechanics Rotation (1)
*Report to the CFAI mid-town clinic
Podiatric Surgery Rotation (Clinic)
*See attached addendum for clinic assignments
Podiatric Surgery Rotation (Skills)
*Report to the school
Pod. Medicine/Biomechanics Rotation (2)
*Report to the CFAI Huron Hospital clinic
Primary Care/VA Rotation
*Report to DVA - Cleveland podiatry clinic
Simulated Patients Rotation
*Report to the school
History and Physical Rotation
*Report to South Pointe Hospital (ER)

Aren't all the slides on a CD? Plus you have mediasite for everything, which is great.

So lab attendance is not mandatory (for histo)?
Yea all the slides come on a cd. She basically goes over the lab portion of the test in a review prior to test. So as long as you pay attention during that review, you'll be golden. Attendance for anything is not required. Except the tests of course!

Thanks for letting me know about this. OCPM seems like a strong school but I am a bit apprehensive about the clinical program.

Do you guys have a gen surgery, internal med, etc rotation like most other podiatric medical schools? How is the patient pathology (diverse cases, limb salvage, ankle stuff, etc)? How about participating in surgical cases with attendings??

I have heard some negative things about the rotations. Examples include slow clinics and weak H & P rotation - PA's in charge and they will not let you do much.

Any truth to this???

About externships, are there 6 available plus 1 month for private practice??? Thanks for your help!

There is a 2 month block of senior medicine during your fourth year which gives you options between internal medicine, orthopedics (not sure if it will be still available), vascular surgery, infectious disease, and a few more. I am currently in my internal medicine block and its great. I participate in patient evaluation, teaching rounds, and resident conferences. I am by no means absolved from getting asked questions or thinking on my feet with respect to medical cases (no pun intended).

As far as the H&P rotation goes, it is run by a DO actually (head of emergency medicine) and they supervise the P.A.'s, who ultimately supervise you. This is a great rotation as long as you make the most out of it. In other words, if you are showing interest and actively asking questions/participating then they'll let you do alot of things.

Now you also asked a question about the pathology at the school clinics, to be perfectly honest you will not see calcaneal fractures, osteochondral lesions of talar domes, or post-traumatic arthritic ankles. You will see alot of primary foot care cases - i.e. diabetic patients with onychomycosis (fungal nails), Peripheral vascular disease patients, lower extremity edema, biomechanical problems that need orthotic management, tapings, or even injection (i.e. for heel pain), in-grown nails, and the occasional ulcers (neuropathic and venous stasis). In other words, you're seeing typical podiatry office cases. You will learn alot out of those as long as you are receptive and actively seeking to learn. The school has a few recent grads as attendings and they have been increasing their volume for good surgical cases to scrub. From my experience, most of what I learned was from externships/clerkships. The school rotations provided a foundation or a basis for me to build-on further knowledge (i.e. learning how to read journals, scrub, present to attendings, etc.)

In regards to the externships, the total is 6 months - out of which you must have a private month so that leaves you with 5 months of externships and 1 month of private practice. Out of those 5 months, you can choose to take a month off for vacation. Alot of people do that because that's really the only time you get for time off, and others do it if they get stuck with an externship month after interviews i.e. in February. I also know of others who take that month off to visit programs (which isn't a bad idea at all).

I will admit that the school has put togethre alot of effort to revamp our program - which is good for our profession as a whole. To my understanding, the average matriculating GPAs has increased and the quality of the students has improved. I still think the school has issues but I will commend them for taking steps in a positive direction.

Hope that helps.

There is a 2 month block of senior medicine during your fourth year which gives you options between internal medicine, orthopedics (not sure if it will be still available), vascular surgery, infectious disease, and a few more. I am currently in my internal medicine block and its great. I participate in patient evaluation, teaching rounds, and resident conferences. I am by no means absolved from getting asked questions or thinking on my feet with respect to medical cases (no pun intended).

As far as the H&P rotation goes, it is run by a DO actually (head of emergency medicine) and they supervise the P.A.'s, who ultimately supervise you. This is a great rotation as long as you make the most out of it. In other words, if you are showing interest and actively asking questions/participating then they'll let you do alot of things.

Now you also asked a question about the pathology at the school clinics, to be perfectly honest you will not see calcaneal fractures, osteochondral lesions of talar domes, or post-traumatic arthritic ankles. You will see alot of primary foot care cases - i.e. diabetic patients with onychomycosis (fungal nails), Peripheral vascular disease patients, lower extremity edema, biomechanical problems that need orthotic management, tapings, or even injection (i.e. for heel pain), in-grown nails, and the occasional ulcers (neuropathic and venous stasis). In other words, you're seeing typical podiatry office cases. You will learn alot out of those as long as you are receptive and actively seeking to learn. The school has a few recent grads as attendings and they have been increasing their volume for good surgical cases to scrub. From my experience, most of what I learned was from externships/clerkships. The school rotations provided a foundation or a basis for me to build-on further knowledge (i.e. learning how to read journals, scrub, present to attendings, etc.)

In regards to the externships, the total is 6 months - out of which you must have a private month so that leaves you with 5 months of externships and 1 month of private practice. Out of those 5 months, you can choose to take a month off for vacation. Alot of people do that because that's really the only time you get for time off, and others do it if they get stuck with an externship month after interviews i.e. in February. I also know of others who take that month off to visit programs (which isn't a bad idea at all).

I will admit that the school has put togethre alot of effort to revamp our program - which is good for our profession as a whole. To my understanding, the average matriculating GPAs has increased and the quality of the students has improved. I still think the school has issues but I will commend them for taking steps in a positive direction.

Hope that helps.

Appreciate the info. If you don't mind, what issues do you think exist at OCPM? You can of course PM me. Thanks!

Appreciate the info. If you don't mind, what issues do you think exist at OCPM? You can of course PM me. Thanks!

I don't mean to sound negative by that remark but in general every school will have issues and they are often subjective from one student to the next. For me, I have a problem with the commute between the school and the clinics. The school is in a suburb but the clinics, hospitals are at downtown and I live somewhere further lol. I don't like the large numbers matriculating. I am a big proponent for smaller classes (less than 70) as opposed to ones that start at 100 because they are easier to manage and everyone gets a sound opportunity to learn during clinicals, instead of having multiple students (2-3) per treatment room.

Now that being said, I still have made the most out of my education thus far and I can honestly say that I had a great experience. Now again this is a very subjective statement because I can't speak for my classmates, but for me personally, I benefited a great deal from my education because I worked hard as a student in the classroom and on clerkships.

The bottom line is that every school will provide you with opportunities to succeed (some facilitate the learning easier than others) but it is ultimately upto you to learn, work hard, and successfuly apply that in your clerkships and eventually in your residency training.

I don't mean to sound negative by that remark but in general every school will have issues and they are often subjective from one student to the next. For me, I have a problem with the commute between the school and the clinics. The school is in a suburb but the clinics, hospitals are at downtown and I live somewhere further lol. I don't like the large numbers matriculating. I am a big proponent for smaller classes (less than 70) as opposed to ones that start at 100 because they are easier to manage and everyone gets a sound opportunity to learn during clinicals, instead of having multiple students (2-3) per treatment room.

Now that being said, I still have made the most out of my education thus far and I can honestly say that I had a great experience. Now again this is a very subjective statement because I can't speak for my classmates, but for me personally, I benefited a great deal from my education because I worked hard as a student in the classroom and on clerkships.

The bottom line is that every school will provide you with opportunities to succeed (some facilitate the learning easier than others) but it is ultimately upto you to learn, work hard, and successfuly apply that in your clerkships and eventually in your residency training.

^ :thumbup::thumbup:

Hey OCPM students,

just curious about the available study space at the school. I heard there are not many places to study on campus (this was from a few students). Thoughts?

I understand the new building is going to be a lecture hall. Not + if it includes study areas or not!

Hey OCPM students,

just curious about the available study space at the school. I heard there are not many places to study on campus (this was from a few students). Thoughts?

I understand the new building is going to be a lecture hall. Not + if it includes study areas or not!

YES, the new construction will include significant more study space for the students. This came directly from administration and Hetherington.

The new construction is currently in the works but not sure when it will be compleated. Should be soon...

YES, the new construction will include significant more study space for the students. This came directly from administration and Hetherington.

The new construction is currently in the works but not sure when it will be compleated. Should be soon...

Hey man, what's up? I keep hearing conflicting information from a variety of sources - the dean, students, recruiters. The main thing is that the building should be done by June 2009 and construction will begin within the next few weeks. I was told it would mainly be the lecture hall for the 3rd years + host other functions like club events.

The #1 complaint of students seemed to be there was not enough places to study on campus. As you saw, the library is pretty small and does not fit that many people. Things are the worst during exam time (makes sense). Overall, I am trying to see if the admins will fix this by adding in space in the new building.

Just curious, if there is an unfinished part on the 3rd floor, why not put some cubicles in there for kids to study?

I've never had a problem finding somewhere to study. Be it exam time or not.

So far I have really enjoyed my experience at the school. Regardless of what you may hear about OCPM, it isn't easy. I spend all day in class, a lot of extra time in the anatomy lab, and about 3 hours a day studying after class as well.

As for what I like: mediasite is great, I go to every lecture, but before tests it really helps to me able to review all the lectures which are recorded and stored on mediasite. While some of the classes are boring, especially histology and intro. to medicince, the professors are still very good. I haven't found a professor that is terrible yet. Tim for biochem is great and Dr. Landers really knows his anatomy. The anatomy lab is also great an the huge flat screen TVs at every lab station make it very easy to follow the lab demonstrations.

I would have to say my biggest dislike is the cafeteria, there is always a long line if you want to get food from it and the food isn't cheap. We are given $500 a semester (I know it seems like a lot), but I know many people who have already used it up. There really isn't anything else that I could say I don't like right now, expect for the crazy amount of work, but that's supposed to be a good thing isn't it?:D

Hey OCPM students,

There are more than enough areas to study. I have never had any problems finding a place to study. You have group study rooms, the library and the quiet study room.

There are more than enough areas to study. I have never had any problems finding a place to study. You have group study rooms, the library and the quiet study room.

yeah these people are right. It really doesnt matter if they add more study space or not (my guess is they will based on what I have heard). But it really isnt that important. If thats the MAJORITY complaint, I guess OCPM is doing pretty well :thumbup: I've already have plans to buy a nice size desk for the appartment to study. That works for me :cool:

Last edited:
yeah these people are right. It really doesnt matter if they add more study space or not (my guess is they will based on what I have heard). But it really isnt that important. If thats the MAJORITY complaint, I guess OCPM is doing pretty well :thumbup: I've already have plans to buy a nice size desk for the appartment to study. That works for me :cool:
Yeah, I never have trouble finding a spot to study, although I rarely study at school anymore. (Last year I used to study in the library and pretty much had my choice of cubicle every night). Now I just study at home and I think it is better for me. There are already a couple study rooms in the school, the cafeteria, the game room, the library, the computer lab, the atrium/rotunda maybe a few other spots I'm forgetting. I don't think many of the upperclassmen stick around at school to study anyways. So, you mainly would have to compete with the first years and a few second years for a study spot.

Last edited:
Yeah, I never have trouble finding a spot to study, although I rarely study at school anymore. (Last year I used to study in the library and pretty much had my choice of cubicle every night). Now I just study at home and I think it is better for me. There are already a couple study rooms in the school, the cafeteria, the game room, the library, the computer lab, the atrium/rotunda maybe a few other spots I'm forgetting. I don't think many of the upperclassmen stick around at school to study anyways. So, you mainly would have to compete with the first years and a few second years for a study spot.

yeah thats what I figured. I prob wont spend much time at the school anyways unless it's to study after hours for anat. what year are you now? 3rd or 4th? how do you like the clinical rotations?

yeah thats what I figured. I prob wont spend much time at the school anyways unless it's to study after hours for anat. what year are you now? 3rd or 4th? how do you like the clinical rotations?
I'm just a lowly second year so I haven't seen too much, but I have enjoyed my clinical rotations so far. As you've probably read, Huron is slower while Euclid is pretty busy (There's more discussion about all that in other threads). I will say though that it is enjoyable to spend time outside the usual bookwork and to get a glimpse your future though.

Hope that helps.

Just to clear up things, your 4th year consists of 6 months of outside rotations (1 pp and up to 5 externships). The other 6 months are a bit hard to understand - the academic book does not provide much detail:

2 months H & P
2 months community medicine
2 months senior pod rotation

Could you go further detail about these rotations? Where does the 2 month block of ortho/IM/ID come into play and is that all non-podiatry??? I met one 4th year who was doing the 2 month med rotation and went to a burn unit, phlebotomy, etc. Are the pod students held to similar standards to MD/DO when on these outside rotations? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

one month is spent at huron(care alliance/ 3 neon clinics/ independance), one month spent at euclid, one month spent at louis stokes/ brecksville va( there is an option for two students within a rotation group to go to a VA in virginia), one month in community medicine- dont know where that is occuring yet, and two months of senior medicine at various hospitals including METRO, UH, VA - louis stokes, south pointe, huron, jewish in cincinnati, cleveland clinic, etc with focus area in orthopaedics or internal medicine-- there are other areas available but i am unsure of what they are

as of now i have not received my senior medicine rotation schedule, usually your place is decided within your clinic group (6-8 students you rotate with your second, third and fourth years at clinic etc) where you are going

yes one month is spent in privat practive and another 3 are required hospital rotations, the other 2 you can take off or do other externships that not even focus on podiatric medicine or you can just do another externship at a residency program you are interested in ..

gl in your decision process

Just to clear up things, your 4th year consists of 6 months of outside rotations (1 pp and up to 5 externships). The other 6 months are a bit hard to understand - the academic book does not provide much detail:

2 months H & P
2 months community medicine
2 months senior pod rotation

Could you go further detail about these rotations? Where does the 2 month block of ortho/IM/ID come into play and is that all non-podiatry??? I met one 4th year who was doing the 2 month med rotation and went to a burn unit, phlebotomy, etc. Are the pod students held to similar standards to MD/DO when on these outside rotations? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

It is 2 months of senior med rotation (where you choose between the different specialties listed). ONE month of community medicine where you spend it in radiology and either at the VA or University Hospitals. The rest of the year is usually from the months of March-May where you have a senior experience block and this comprises of Workshops and Guest lectures. The idea of this block is to prepare you for residency.

Just popping in to give my opinion of the school thus far as a first year student in the second semester now. The 1st semester workload was very manageable and the teachers were all excellent thus far. We did lose a few students outright and also had a few drop back to the 5 year program though so be warned that it is not a cakewalk at OCPM.

I suspect that they are trying to increase the difficulty because they admitted so many students to the program this year and are short on residency spots (85 spots short total for 2012 from the last official email I recieved on the matter). I'll be honest when I say that I am shocked at quite a few of the people they have selected. Some of these people never attend class, never attend anatomy lab, had little or no meaningful undergrad background, god knows if they even study based on some of the grades I've seen in some of the score distributions. Maybe I'm just a little miffed that there might not be a spot for me to do my residency in after all this work.

Our workload this semester though has doubled (as expected) with the start of our most important class Lower Anatomy. Still manageable though in the sense that IF you study every week and take good notes every class you will do well enough.

In terms of problems I've seen with the school I do have a handful of them. Keep in mind though that these are only my personal opinions of the program thus far and that other than these issues I am an otherwise content student who is doing well in the program.

1.) The school seems to be cutting back on some of the things they had traditionally done for students in the past (like having our complete set of class notes printed out for us at the beginning of each course). Now we are all required to print out the course material ourselves in the computer lab with their 3 functional printers that are always occupied and have terrible print quality. One of these days they'll probably want us to buy our own scantron sheets and print out our own test packets as well. Make sure you have a good printer at home and avoid the mess.

2.) It's the little things like #1 that give me this negative vibe from administration in general toward the students. I feel like I'm a student ID# and a paycheck to them (similar to how I felt in my large undergrad program) rather than an actual personal trying to establish a career. Good thing I'm use to this kind of situation from my undergrad which was sprawling and souless.

3.) Their cafeteria is really small for the size of the total student body BUT the real issue is that they force you to buy the food there by putting non-refundable money on a debit card for you to ONLY use on campus. Don't use the money by the end of the year and it "disappears" that's right you don't get any back whatsoever. Complain about not being able to use YOUR money how you see fit and you'll get the typical "Sorry you will do it our way and you will like it." from old OCPM. Not to mention the fact that the food there is awful. Maybe 1 day out of each week you MIGHT find something edible aside from the daily salad bar routine and that's if the long lines don't intimidate you.

4.) The student health insurance. Awful... I have no idea why they selected this cut-rate plane to cover the health of medical students. The basic student clinic at case is free but if you get more than the sniffles and require medicine and other off-site care you are completely SOL. They won't cover jack and will give you grief every step of the way... if they can even find your account on their computers which are constantly crashing and jumbling up information. Stick with your old provider and waive the school coverage. The dental coverage is also "free" but it's just as awful as the health insurance. You can go down to the dental school and get your free student cleaning BUT bring a book because you will be there for a signifigant portion of the day waiting for a student to get free and fumble around in your mouth. You get what you pay for I suppose.

5.) Our most important class (Lowe Anatomy) is currently in a "transition" phase as they try to find someone to take over the class. As of right now it seems very disorganized which makes material that is already complex even rougher. It would have been nice to have an actual DPM demo the lab disection methods to us before lab starts. As of right now we get a 3rd year student pointing out already disected structures to us at the begining of lab. (Stuff most of us researched in advance in the text pictures). Then we are all just left to "figure it out" for the next 3 hours with some very general "goals to accomplish" written on a white board.

This usually results in people doing sloppy disections or tearing out structures. Then you have some people not coming to class at all to do their disections because attendance is not taken and "non-participants" are not singled out and held accountable... Instead we get the typical OCPM overreactive punishment. Hard practical exam tags for everyone on the poorly disected legs. Which brings me to...

6.) The lab is state of the art and very nice to work in for sure. I know it was something they pride themselves on and is the biggest wow factor in the tour I got. Dr. Landers gave some excellent disection demos on the overheads in 1st semester and it really helped to understand the anatomical relationships and how he got to that point. This semester (like I said before) they only used them for a 3rd year student to do a quick "this is this and that is that" run through.

The fancy new touch screen computers they put in the lab are next to useless. The grants atlas program on there doesn't mesh with the touchscreen typing function so you can't search for the structure you need. Even if you do get it to work the pictures make less sense than the things you can pull up via google. Most of the time the screen gets so gummed up with fluid and anatomy goo from your gloves the whole touch screen function has a seizure and dies. Most of the students have now found a use for the computers though. Everyone plays their own internet radio channel or youtube music at max volume. So imagine 20+ computers blaring different songs out while you are figuring out (on your own) how to extract fragile threadlike nerves from inches of fat tissue. It's OK I suppose but yet again... another thing that could be remedied.

7.) Campus security = Independence police force. They pretty much use the place as their own personal break spot to escape the daily drudgeries of being a cop while they pretend to be securing the campus from the occasional deer or or stray dog. Every time I see them they are eating, playing on the internet, or chatting up the female students and secretaries. Go up to them with an issue and they immediately adopt a "I don't know anything. Get out of my face can't you see I'm on break" attitude with you. Totally different from the nice cop who delivered our orientation speech. Blehck.

8.) The lovely climate of Cleveland. Say goodbye to the sun... No seriously it doesn't exist here. You will also be getting so much snow and rain fall you will being to think you moved to Alaska. Don't count on the school to delay or cancel class either. They will expect you to snowmobile in for anything short of a 2 foot overnight blizzard.

9.) (What I actually see as the biggest issue right now) The schools lectures are all recorded for you (audio and video). This sounds great and it really is an excellent tool to help you learn. Unfortunately it has it's downfalls as well. Many of the students have decided to skip classes now and just do everything online. I attend because I learn better in person and then review online later and I don't bash people for not showing up BUT here is were it affects you personally.

Attendance has dropped so low that a few of the professors now have started to get pissed off or as one of the doctors just recently put it to us "Just a warning. From what I have heard from the rest of the faculty this morning, you guys are getting the reputation for being a class that doesn't attend your lectures."

So guess what that translates into? That's right the profs start writing "punishment" exams similar to how the lab practical tags get tougher as participation drops. Yet another overreactive group punishment that effects the people that attend and put in the hard work.

Well that's been my experience so far. Overall I like it but I am concerned with the long term things like overcrowding/lack of residency positions as well as the short term things that can still be fixed like a disconnected administration overreacting OR just flat out ignoring problems.

Last edited:
Just popping in to give my opinion of the school thus far as a first year student in the second semester now. The 1st semester workload was very manageable and the teachers were all excellent thus far. We did lose a few students outright and also had a few drop back to the 5 year program though so be warned that it is not a cakewalk at OCPM.

I suspect that they are trying to increase the difficulty because they admitted so many students to the program this year and are short on residency spots (85 spots short total for 2012 from the last official email I recieved on the matter). I'll be honest when I say that I am shocked at quite a few of the people they have selected. Some of these people never attend class, never attend anatomy lab, had little or no meaningful undergrad background, god knows if they even study based on some of the grades I've seen in some of the score distributions. Maybe I'm just a little miffed that there might not be a spot for me to do my residency in after all this work.

Our workload this semester though has doubled (as expected) with the start of our most important class Lower Anatomy. Still manageable though in the sense that IF you study every week and take good notes every class you will do well enough.

In terms of problems I've seen with the school I do have a handful of them. Keep in mind though that these are only my personal opinions of the program thus far and that other than these issues I am an otherwise content student who is doing well in the program.

1.) The school seems to be cutting back on some of the things they had traditionally done for students in the past (like having our complete set of class notes printed out for us at the beginning of each course). Now we are all required to print out the course material ourselves in the computer lab with their 3 functional printers that are always occupied and have terrible print quality. One of these days they'll probably want us to buy our own scantron sheets and print out our own test packets as well. Make sure you have a good printer at home and avoid the mess.

2.) It's the little things like #1 that give me this negative vibe from administration in general toward the students. I feel like I'm a student ID# and a paycheck to them (similar to how I felt in my large undergrad program) rather than an actual personal trying to establish a career. Good thing I'm use to this kind of situation from my undergrad which was sprawling and souless.

3.) Their cafeteria is really small for the size of the total student body BUT the real issue is that they force you to buy the food there by putting non-refundable money on a debit card for you to ONLY use on campus. Don't use the money by the end of the year and it "disappears" that's right you don't get any back whatsoever. Complain about not being able to use YOUR money how you see fit and you'll get the typical "Sorry you will do it our way and you will like it." from old OCPM. Not to mention the fact that the food there is awful. Maybe 1 day out of each week you MIGHT find something edible aside from the daily salad bar routine and that's if the long lines don't intimidate you.

4.) The student health insurance. Awful... I have no idea why they selected this cut-rate plane to cover the health of medical students. The basic student clinic at case is free but if you get more than the sniffles and require medicine and other off-site care you are completely SOL. They won't cover jack and will give you grief every step of the way... if they can even find your account on their computers which are constantly crashing and jumbling up information. Stick with your old provider and waive the school coverage. The dental coverage is also "free" but it's just as awful as the health insurance. You can go down to the dental school and get your free student cleaning BUT bring a book because you will be there for a signifigant portion of the day waiting for a student to get free and fumble around in your mouth. You get what you pay for I suppose.

5.) Our most important class (Lowe Anatomy) is currently in a "transition" phase as they try to find someone to take over the class. As of right now it seems very disorganized which makes material that is already complex even rougher. It would have been nice to have an actual DPM demo the lab disection methods to us before lab starts. As of right now we get a 3rd year student pointing out already disected structures to us at the begining of lab. (Stuff most of us researched in advance in the text pictures). Then we are all just left to "figure it out" for the next 3 hours with some very general "goals to accomplish" written on a white board.

This usually results in people doing sloppy disections or tearing out structures. Then you have some people not coming to class at all to do their disections because attendance is not taken and "non-participants" are not singled out and held accountable... Instead we get the typical OCPM overreactive punishment. Hard practical exam tags for everyone on the poorly disected legs. Which brings me to...

6.) The lab is state of the art and very nice to work in for sure. I know it was something they pride themselves on and is the biggest wow factor in the tour I got. Dr. Landers gave some excellent disection demos on the overheads in 1st semester and it really helped to understand the anatomical relationships and how he got to that point. This semester (like I said before) they only used them for a 3rd year student to do a quick "this is this and that is that" run through.

The fancy new touch screen computers they put in the lab are next to useless. The grants atlas program on there doesn't mesh with the touchscreen typing function so you can't search for the structure you need. Even if you do get it to work the pictures make less sense than the things you can pull up via google. Most of the time the screen gets so gummed up with fluid and anatomy goo from your gloves the whole touch screen function has a seizure and dies. Most of the students have now found a use for the computers though. Everyone plays their own internet radio channel or youtube music at max volume. So imagine 20+ computers blaring different songs out while you are figuring out (on your own) how to extract fragile threadlike nerves from inches of fat tissue. It's OK I suppose but yet again... another thing that could be remedied.

7.) Campus security = Independence police force. They pretty much use the place as their own personal break spot to escape the daily drudgeries of being a cop while they pretend to be securing the campus from the occasional deer or or stray dog. Every time I see them they are eating, playing on the internet, or chatting up the female students and secretaries. Go up to them with an issue and they immediately adopt a "I don't know anything. Get out of my face can't you see I'm on break" attitude with you. Totally different from the nice cop who delivered our orientation speech. Blehck.

8.) The lovely climate of Cleveland. Say goodbye to the sun... No seriously it doesn't exist here. You will also be getting so much snow and rain fall you will being to think you moved to Alaska. Don't count on the school to delay or cancel class either. They will expect you to snowmobile in for anything short of a 2 foot overnight blizzard.

9.) (What I actually see as the biggest issue right now) The schools lectures are all recorded for you (audio and video). This sounds great and it really is an excellent tool to help you learn. Unfortunately it has it's downfalls as well. Many of the students have decided to skip classes now and just do everything online. I attend because I learn better in person and then review online later and I don't bash people for not showing up BUT here is were it affects you personally.

Attendance has dropped so low that a few of the professors now have started to get pissed off or as one of the doctors just recently put it to us "Just a warning. From what I have heard from the rest of the faculty this morning, you guys are getting the reputation for being a class that doesn't attend your lectures."

So guess what that translates into? That's right the profs start writing "punishment" exams similar to how the lab practical tags get tougher as participation drops. Yet another overreactive group punishment that effects the people that attend and put in the hard work.

Well that's been my experience so far. Overall I like it but I am concerned with the long term things like overcrowding/lack of residency positions as well as the short term things that can still be fixed like a disconnected administration overreacting OR just flat out ignoring problems.

Yikes, seems rough there. Current 3rd years said your class was supposed to better than previous years (admissions wise). Pretty scary from the way you make it sound

I'm sorry if I made it sound scary when I voiced my complaints here. That wasn't my intention. I'm just trying to make it clear that OCPM is a good school but it isn't a cakewalk anymore if that's something you've heard about the 1st year here. Like I said we've already lost a few students, but those were the ones who either should have been denied admission or just weren't ready for it yet and didn't study properly.

Our class did perform very well overall though on the 1st semester exams. We only got a few extra points in the curve at the end of both Biochem and anatomy as opposed to what I heard previous years had gotten back from both Tim and Landers. This semester is indeed pretty rough though I'm not going to sugar coat it.

As for that list of 9 problems I mentioned those are the ONLY problems I can see with the whole school which I think is pretty good overall. There could have been glaring issues that would cause me to want to transfer, but I haven't experienced anything like that. I'm pretty nitpicky when it comes to my education so take that as you will.

That place sounds absolutely brilliant!

Sounds like you deal with more BS than academics.

BTW, how is the level of honesty of the students (aka are old tests and stealing questions from tests and passing them down to friends in the next class considered cheating) and race relations there?

Last edited by a moderator:
That place sounds absolutely brilliant!

Sounds like you deal with more BS than academics.

BTW, how is the level of honesty of the students (aka are old tests and stealing questions from tests and passing them down to friends in the next class considered cheating) and race relations there?

I heard about this a while back. Something about the mormon clique making a master list of questions + answers then passing it down to the freshie mo's.

Would this be considered cheating? I mean it gives people an advantage - especially if profs don't upgrade their tests much. However, anyone is capable of doing it.

There's no master test bank that I have ever seen and I haven't heard of or seen any actual cheating going on. The profs have been switching things up like crazy on us this semester so if there was such a thing I would think that it could only carry you so far anyway. Many people in my undergrad program had old tests made available by the profs themselves in the library. If you studied only those you ended up failing because they would write in tricks by twisting the question or the answer a bit.

As for race relations it's not really an issue at the school at all. There's an even mix of ethnicities and interactions between them. Have you heard bad things about it?

There is a group of mormon students and they do indeed stick together in their studies and activities, but it's not like they go out of their way to exclude everyone else or act like snobs unwilling to help non-believers. Overall they are a friendly group of guys I think.

There is something called a "public folder" made available to the students in the computer lab that contains hundreds of study guides with student produced question sheets from previous years along with old note taking files people made up. They don't contain word for word questions from old tests but when you study one of them it's bound to contain things that appear on the test. Many of the guides have hundreds of potential questions so maybe that's what you heard of.

In terms of dealing with BS more than academics I would say that there are a few BS things that do come to interfere with my studies. No one wants to take a test written by a pissed off professor punishing people for not attending class after all. I wouldn't say the BS overwhelms me though. Just pisses me off every once in a while. Hopefully cooler heads prevail and we get some meaningful changes within the next few months. I'm not holding my breath though. Like I said every school has it's issues.

Now I'm going to vanish for a little while. We have a rough week coming up (Physical Diagnosis, Lower Anatomy, and Microbio midterms). Hopefully I can survive them...

Last edited:
There's no master test bank that I have ever seen and I haven't heard of or seen any actual cheating going on. The profs have been switching things up like crazy on us this semester so if there was such a thing I would think that it could only carry you so far anyway. Many people in my undergrad program had old tests made available by the profs themselves in the library. If you studied only those you ended up failing because they would write in tricks by twisting the question or the answer a bit.

As for race relations it's not really an issue at the school at all. There's an even mix of ethnicities and interactions between them. Have you heard bad things about it?

There is a group of mormon students and they do indeed stick together in their studies and activities, but it's not like they go out of their way to exclude everyone else or act like snobs unwilling to help non-believers. Overall they are a friendly group of guys I think.

There is something called a "public folder" made available to the students in the computer lab that contains hundreds of study guides with student produced question sheets from previous years along with old note taking files people made up. They don't contain word for word questions from old tests but when you study one of them it's bound to contain things that appear on the test. Many of the guides have hundreds of potential questions so maybe that's what you heard of.

In terms of dealing with BS more than academics I would say that there are a few BS things that do come to interfere with my studies. No one wants to take a test written by a pissed off professor punishing people for not attending class after all. I wouldn't say the BS overwhelms me though. Just pisses me off every once in a while. Hopefully cooler heads prevail and we get some meaningful changes within the next few months. I'm not holding my breath though. Like I said every school has it's issues.

Now I'm going to vanish for a little while. We have a rough week coming up (Physical Diagnosis, Lower Anatomy, and Microbio midterms). Hopefully I can survive them...

Even mix of ethnicities? From my rough count our class of 2012 has like 11 asians, 6 african americans, 3 hispanics and the remaining 90+ are caucasian. Hardly what I would called an even mix of ethnicities.

I think the griping about the low class attendance is garbage. 2nd years have told me Dr. Wright gave them the same speech last year.

Yeah even was a bad choice of words :), but it is pretty representitive of my undergrad premed classes which were based in a large inner city program. I may be a bit sheltered coming from an all girls Catholic highschool so this just seems like the normal make-up to me now. Anyway, there hasn't been any "race issues" or race based complaints about the school as far as I know.

Another policy change we experienced recently. The school wants to go to a "one minute per question" system now in order to "more acurately reflect the experience of taking boards". So for your standard 60 question test (like our recent physical diagnosis midterm) we got 1 hour to finish it as opposed to the traditional 2 hours. Not a problem for some but if you triple check things and go a bit slower than most on exams it could have a big impact on your grades.

Hopefully future updates will be about problems resolved or changes for the better! :laugh:

Midterms went well for me so far. They were both pretty rough especially that lower practical when compared to last years. Like I said first year at OCPM is being made more difficult especially lower. So come prepared with your A game if you are going to be taking it come next year. Micro med coming up friday with Dr. Wright. I guess we'll see if he was blowing steam about the low attendance issues (hopefully he was)!

:eek: Oh my! Keep chugging along, vamp...at least we're almost second years...:shrug:

Yeah even was a bad choice of words :), but it is pretty representitive of my undergrad premed classes which were based in a large inner city program. I may be a bit sheltered coming from an all girls Catholic highschool so this just seems like the normal make-up to me now. Anyway, there hasn't been any "race issues" or race based complaints about the school as far as I know.

Another policy change we experienced recently. The school wants to go to a "one minute per question" system now in order to "more acurately reflect the experience of taking boards". So for your standard 60 question test (like our recent physical diagnosis midterm) we got 1 hour to finish it as opposed to the traditional 2 hours. Not a problem for some but if you triple check things and go a bit slower than most on exams it could have a big impact on your grades.

Hopefully future updates will be about problems resolved or changes for the better! :laugh:

Midterms went well for me so far. They were both pretty rough especially that lower practical when compared to last years. Like I said first year at OCPM is being made more difficult especially lower. So come prepared with your A game if you are going to be taking it come next year. Micro med coming up friday with Dr. Wright. I guess we'll see if he was blowing steam about the low attendance issues (hopefully he was)!

That just steered me away from OCPM. I'm a "triple checker." I see their point, but I dont like it. Is it only OCPM that does this or do other schools do this? (sorry to steer off of OCPM subject)

That just steered me away from OCPM. I'm a "triple checker." I see their point, but I dont like it. Is it only OCPM that does this or do other schools do this? (sorry to steer off of OCPM subject)

At Temple, some exams are scheduled for 2 hours, some 1. Our weekly lower exams are 33 questions and we have an hour.

The worst part of it, was that the students were not told until the time of the test. Couldn't they have sent an email warning students that the scheduled time for the test had changed. Of course the announcement also took some time so it wasn't even a full hour. The whole thing was very unprofessional.

Yea I'm kinda leaning away from ohio more and more. The facility is nice as the old one was a complete dump. However, the schools seems to be the most $ driven of all the pods schools I've seen (all besides western) and I'm not too keen on the clinicals. You have kids being sent out to all these secondary clinics as the 2 main OCPM ones don't have enough patients to go around. Cost of living is nice but freezing my ass off in cleveland suburbs for nearly 4 years, no thanks