OCPM Uses problematic mandatory Examsoft

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Remember rememb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to make this very simple and to the point. Yes roomers are true about the administration seeking and negotiating a merger with either Kent State or Toledo University. Nothing is set in stone, this was meant for a position of advantage in negotiation for the school.

Next the real point of my post is this. For those of you out there who enjoy your school putting their software on your computer to take an exam and think it is ethical. OCPM is the school for you!

However, if you feel that this would upset you, don't choose OCPM. Personally, I think it is ludicrous that this program has crashed my netbook twice since I have installed it. I prefer taking exams on paper. The administration doesn't care what the students think. This was done to make the professor's happy.

I feel like the school used to be student service minded. They have great resources, $30 million dollar lab. Mediasite for all classes. This move by the school is definitely a violation of personal property use. The school has forced this program on the first year students, as well as, the second year students. What a joke. Sure I support examsoft, on their property, in their testing center.

So be warned future OCPM students, if you like examsoft on your computer this school is for you. If not try the other schools instead. Hope and pray your school doesn't adopt this ******ed program. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Meh, no one I have talked to have had any problems with it. I used to prefer paper tests but have not really minded taking them on computers. Honestly I think you might be over reacting a tad, although I suppose I wouldn't complain if they would provide laptops like those lucky bastards out in Iowa:rolleyes:...

So far I have no complaints about my OCPM experience.

Meh, no one I have talked to have had any problems with it. I used to prefer paper tests but have not really minded taking them on computers. Honestly I think you might be over reacting a tad, although I suppose I wouldn't complain if they would provide laptops like those lucky bastards out in Iowa:rolleyes:...

So far I have no complaints about my OCPM experience.

I second this. I don't mind it at all. Perhaps the OP is using an Apple computer? I know it is a hot mess getting the conversion to work. I lucked out with my PC I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second this. I don't mind it at all. Perhaps the OP is using an Apple computer? I know it is a hot mess getting the conversion to work. I lucked out with my PC I guess.

Windows through Bootcamp works great on Macs...

roomers is spelled, rumors, and the term "******ed,"

Please be mindful of the language and tenor used. The term, "******ed" is in poor form.

I want to make this very simple and to the point. Yes roomers are true about the administration seeking and negotiating a merger with either Kent State or Toledo University. Nothing is set in stone, this was meant for a position of advantage in negotiation for the school.

Next the real point of my post is this. For those of you out there who enjoy your school putting their software on your computer to take an exam and think it is ethical. OCPM is the school for you!

However, if you feel that this would upset you, don't choose OCPM. Personally, I think it is ludicrous that this program has crashed my netbook twice since I have installed it. I prefer taking exams on paper. The administration doesn't care what the students think. This was done to make the professor's happy.

I feel like the school used to be student service minded. They have great resources, $30 million dollar lab. Mediasite for all classes. This move by the school is definitely a violation of personal property use. The school has forced this program on the first year students, as well as, the second year students. What a joke. Sure I support examsoft, on their property, in their testing center.

So be warned future OCPM students, if you like examsoft on your computer this school is for you. If not try the other schools instead. Hope and pray your school doesn't adopt this ******ed program. :thumbdown:

:troll:

I see no issues with having school-mandated software on my personal computer to take an exam in a professional program. Em, aren't the board exams computer based? Might as well get used to the format, personal preference or not.

:troll:

I see no issues with having school-mandated software on my personal computer to take an exam in a professional program. Em, aren't the board exams computer based? Might as well get used to the format, personal preference or not.

Sorry, I don't want anyone else's software on MY computer unless I know exactly what it's for and what it can do to MY system. There are programs out there that once installed and attached to a network can monitor what you do on your computer, to the point of keylogging.

The other question is, what if you don't own a computer and use the school's for internet browsing and such? Do the schools require you to have your own computer, and if they do, do they pay for it? If they provide you with the hardware, that's one thing, but if they don't, why should you agree to this? Is there a contract you sign when installing the software that prohibits the school from accessing your computer against your wishes?

The computers I used when sitting for my boards were expressly used for the exam and didn't have any of my own information on it other than the information I provided. Do the boards now force you to use your own computer to sit for the exam?

Big brother IS watching. I am inherently paranoid. Forgive me.

To add, as far as I know most if not all schools provide you with an email address. Remember that even if you don't let them install software, and don't use their network while on campus...they still have the ability (and the right, really) to look through your email. Just like corporate America. There is reason to be paranoid, it'll keep you from doing something stupid more often than not!

To add, as far as I know most if not all schools provide you with an email address. Remember that even if you don't let them install software, and don't use their network while on campus...they still have the ability (and the right, really) to look through your email. Just like corporate America. There is reason to be paranoid, it'll keep you from doing something stupid more often than not!

This is why you keep an email address for personal use, and an email address for professional use. Route both through Gmail and you can select which emails to reply to from address of your choice. That's what I do.

NYCPM has implemented the same testing software. Everyone had something to say about it at first, but now it has turned out to not be so bad. I enjoy being able to have pictures to clarify questions. The only thing that is problematic at nycpm is the fact that if your cpu happens to mess up during the test and cant run the program they make you pay 25 dollars to borrow a laptop from the school.

This is why you keep an email address for personal use, and an email address for professional use. Route both through Gmail and you can select which emails to reply to from address of your choice. That's what I do.

It doesn't work that way. If you use it ONCE, it can "infect" your system.

Sorry, I don't want anyone else's software on MY computer unless I know exactly what it's for and what it can do to MY system. There are programs out there that once installed and attached to a network can monitor what you do on your computer, to the point of keylogging.

The computers I used when sitting for my boards were expressly used for the exam and didn't have any of my own information on it other than the information I provided. Do the boards now force you to use your own computer to sit for the exam?

Well, I guess if you think the school is 'out to get you' and using the software other than what the OP stated the purpose was (to take exams), then yes, I suppose students would have an issue with it. I would if that were the intent.

However, the OP did not bring up any of these concerns, his/hers seem strictly based off the fact that the school wanted them to use the school software on their own computers to take exams because the professors were selfish??. And, suggesting students go to another school because of this? Just seemed a bit over-the-top to me. Anyone that creates an account and their first post is used to bash their school, I always look at with one eyebrow raised.

I guess I'm either too naive or trusting to think of this as a Big Brother matter.

And with the Boards, the point was that the OP stated he/she would rather take paper tests and thus even more unhappy with this software. The school is doing them a favor by requiring computer tests, IMO, to better prepare their students for the format of the boards.

And with the Boards, the point was that the OP stated he/she would rather take paper tests and thus even more unhappy with this software. The school is doing them a favor by requiring computer tests, IMO, to better prepare their students for the format of the boards.

NYCPM has also instituted the same computer testing, in collaboration with OCPM. The boards are taken on a computer, so why not get accustomed to taking a computer test before you take part I boards?

Welcome to the future. Computer testing is taking over.

And at NYCPM, there are like 15 back up laptops. If your computer crashes, you are given a back up laptop at no cost. If you simply fail to bring a laptop, then they charge you. All incoming students were made aware that they must have a laptop that meets certain requirements. Should the school give us a laptop? Not really, mostly everyone already has one, so why should I pay $1000 more in tuition for a second laptop? I like the one that I chose from the computer store.

And OP, if your computer is that messed up, how did you get online to complain? If you know the answer to a question, it doesn't matter how the question is asked (paper or digital). Its nice to be familiar with testing at a computer for Part I though.

Well, I guess if you think the school is 'out to get you' and using the software other than what the OP stated the purpose was (to take exams), then yes, I suppose students would have an issue with it. I would if that were the intent.

It doesn't have to be the school. It can be anyone using the system. That's the problem with these types of software programs. Anyone in the system that knows how to "use" it can access the information.

Once your connected to an intranet system, your computer is wide open.

Sig,

Does the software allow you to go back and view/change answer choices to previous questions?

We all grew up with computers and know our way around well enough to take a computer based test. And we have all sat for a 4 hour, computer based exam (MCAT/DAT). So I don't necessarily see the need to "practice" taking exams on a computer just for the sake of the APMLE. I guess if the software mimics the APMLE software to a T, then you would be prepared to answer questions knowing you cannot go back. That could be beneficial. Otherwise, it sounds like the school is just trying to save some money, which could be awesome if it means another dept gets a little bit bigger budget.

Sig,

Does the software allow you to go back and view/change answer choices to previous questions?

We all grew up with computers and know our way around well enough to take a computer based test. And we have all sat for a 4 hour, computer based exam (MCAT/DAT). So I don't necessarily see the need to "practice" taking exams on a computer just for the sake of the APMLE. I guess if the software mimics the APMLE software to a T, then you would be prepared to answer questions knowing you cannot go back. That could be beneficial. Otherwise, it sounds like the school is just trying to save some money, which could be awesome if it means another dept gets a little bit bigger budget.

Yes, you can go back and change answers, mark questions and all that good stuff. At first I was apprehensive about computerized exams but we are yet to have any problems with the program.

Yes, you can go back and change answers, mark questions and all that good stuff. At first I was apprehensive about computerized exams but we are yet to have any problems with the program.

Do you get a grade right after the exam is finished? Also, can you see which questions you missed? If so, I would be a strong advocate for this system.

It doesn't have to be the school. It can be anyone using the system. That's the problem with these types of software programs. Anyone in the system that knows how to "use" it can access the information.

Once your connected to an intranet system, your computer is wide open.

I agree that could cause some concern, if it is indeed connected to an intranet. I am highly lacking in the tech department, so I will slip out the back door now :oops:

We all grew up with computers and know our way around well enough to take a computer based test. And we have all sat for a 4 hour, computer based exam (MCAT/DAT). So I don't necessarily see the need to "practice" taking exams on a computer just for the sake of the APMLE.

I agree that most of us are computer literate from a user perspective, but not sure that necessarily translates to being proficient at computerized tests. I personally prefer paper tests since I like to manually cross out/circle answers, underline key words, work out problems, doodle, write equations/thoughts, etc. I do feel the more computerized tests taken, it is bound to make a positive difference for the APMLE (however small). I think familiarity can breed confidence, which *should* have a positive impact on a testing experience.

While possible to get an exam grade as soon as you finish, NY still reviews the quality of the exams before releasing grades.

In terms of exam review - when you review your exam at a later time, you are given a print out of what questions you missed. In NY, you go to a classroom with a proctor and are given that print out for your review, which you then return before leaving the room. This prevents old test questions from floating around.

Each professor can build a database of questions and then easily construct the computer exam. When administered, each student's questions are scrambled so that no one has the same question order, making it harder to copy from a neighbor.

Questions can be marked for you to return to (this differs from APMLE 1, where you cannot return to any questions). At this time, you cannot highlight questions or cross off answer choices, but I hope this comes in a later update of the software. Each student is given scratch paper so that they can write whatever they want during the exam.

ExamSoft is used all across the country in medical schools and other high stakes exams, such as the bar exam, ohio state college of medicine, UC Davis school of medicine, etc.

Does it save money? I guess; it definitely reduces the amount of wasted paper for each exam.

Questions can be marked for you to return to (this differs from APMLE 1, where you cannot return to any questions). At this time, you cannot highlight questions or cross off answer choices, but I hope this comes in a later update of the software. Each student is given scratch paper so that they can write whatever they want during the exam.

ExamSoft is used all across the country in medical schools and other high stakes exams, such as the bar exam, ohio state college of medicine, UC Davis school of medicine, etc.

Does it save money? I guess; it definitely reduces the amount of wasted paper for each exam.

Actually you can, atleast if you have a MAC, i just two finger click or right click for u pc users and it will makes the answer choice turn red..aka.. striking it out. :) And, your right about the highlighting part, u cant. But i have yet to seen a question where I cant just look up and quickly read the part I need to. If it was a passage like the MCAT things my be a little different.