Oct vs Nov Interview - Advantages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MGTOW_MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got an II for Oct & Nov at USMD program that does rolling admissions. How much of an advantage is it to interview in Oct as opposed to Nov? I am preferring Nov because I feel I would be better prepared (this is my second time applying for med school so I do not want to screw this up).

*I was also offered Sept and Dec dates but the former is too early and the latter is too late (based on my confidence level right now)

Members don't see this ad.

An early acceptance is predicate to an early interview. This makes the rest of the interview season a whole lot more relaxed (and cheaper if you prefer the acceptance to a later interview).

Not too concerned about 'early' acceptances...just an acceptance in general so I don't have to stress out next year when I actually matriculate to med school rather than reapply for the 3rd time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not too concerned about 'early' acceptances...just an acceptance in general so I don't have to stress out next year when I actually matriculate to med school rather than reapply for the 3rd time.
Delaying the process is unlikely to affect that outcome, though.
Early interviews have benefits and no real risks.

earlier = better

Reactions: 1 user
earlier = better
So the difference betwen a Oct and Nov interview is NOT negligible? I am reading mixed comments about this. Then again...this is SDN and everything beyond the 1st interview month can be considered 'late' here...

So the difference betwen a Oct and Nov interview is NOT negligible? I am reading mixed comments about this. Then again...this is SDN and everything beyond the 1st interview month can be considered 'late' here...

Why are you talking crap about us to us when you're asking us for advice?

Reactions: 1 user
You say you would be better prepared in November. What makes you say that? What will you do to prepare for interviews in two months' time that you could not do in one month? An October interview should still give you plenty of time to practice interviewing/buy a suit.

Reactions: 2 users

This whole "looking for validation" thing that some new posters do "here on SDN" is pretty irritating.

This comment makes me think that you literally just want us to to say that the difference between November and October is negligible. And if we dont, then "this is SDN and everything beyond the 1st interview month can be considered 'late' here..." according to you.

You see how this sounds to a 3rd party?

If you need an entire month to hone your interviewing skills, I say go for it and delay it to November.
You need to be prepared.

Let me give my input about preparation. I scheduled an interview about two weeks later than I could have, and it helped because it gave me the time to schedule a mock interview with my prehealth office and practice more with friends. So go ahead and give yourself some extra time. I do think an extra two months is a bit excessive. You don't really need more than 2 weeks to prepare and practice. As for the month difference, I do think it is negligible in terms of acceptance vs. rejection. People get accepted much later in the cycle. I think the main benefit would be knowing about the decision early.