October 2016 Journal Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLCpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Students: What are you thoughts on this subject? What are the types of stitch used for an Achilles tear repair?
Residents/Attendings: When do you consider a conservative approach to Achilles tendon tear? Has any of the recent literature changed how you treat patients with this pathology?

Journal club overview:
- An article will be selected and posted each month. Please PM me an article you are interested in and I will select one. Please keep them as recent as possible.
- The person who suggested the article will give a BRIEF overview of the article
- We will discuss how we can use what we learned in practice and perhaps share some clinical experiences (remember not to disclose specific patient information)

This is open to DPM's, students and pre-pods!! All are invited.

Link:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good article @SLCpod or whoever picked it. I'll try to comment more later but to answer your question briefly, I would consider conservative care of an Achilles rupture mostly when the patient is not a good surgical candidate or when they are limited in their activity. For me that may mean that I would recommend surgery for most >~55 yo or higher based on activity level unless there was a contraindication. Young, healthy is not really much of a question for me. I think recent literature would support this train of thought

Reactions: 1 users