OD or MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eb520

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to grad school soon and I'm not sure if I want to go to medical school or optometry school. I've been shadowing doctors and optometrists but I'm still not sure. I don't have an awesome GPA (around 3.4) and I haven't taken entrance exams yet. I'm not really in it for the money, I want a job that will be medical-related but still give me time for family and hobbies. I would also like to start a family by my early 30s, which I'm afraid would be difficult to do during a medical residency. Which do you think would be better for me?

Members don't see this ad.

If you would be satisfied being an OD, you may not have the grit and will it will require to be an MD. Complete different levels of ambition.

They're very different careers. Based on your description, you seem more suited for opto. You'd be done in 4-5 years depending on whether or not you want to do residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what you've said, it looks like you're better off choosing optometry. Take the OAT and then think more about it. Good luck!

I'm applying to grad school soon and I'm not sure if I want to go to medical school or optometry school. I've been shadowing doctors and optometrists but I'm still not sure. I don't have an awesome GPA (around 3.4) and I haven't taken entrance exams yet. I'm not really in it for the money, I want a job that will be medical-related but still give me time for family and hobbies. I would also like to start a family by my early 30s, which I'm afraid would be difficult to do during a medical residency. Which do you think would be better for me?

GPA 3.4 has almost no chance to be interviewed by any medical schools, even for DO school. But 3.4 is good enough for optometry school.

There are plenty of DO students with 3.2-3.4, but they usually do well on the MCAT (505+) or great ECs.

OD will put you into the 100-110K/year range, seems like a good deal for only 4 years and 200K in student loan debt. Any more student loan debt than that, I would reconsider.

GPA 3.4 has almost no chance to be interviewed by any medical schools, even for DO school. But 3.4 is good enough for optometry school.

What are you talking about? 3.4 is not the best but with a decent PS and MCAT its good enough for an II to the new DO schools popping up every year...

Reactions: 1 users
If you would be satisfied being an OD, you may not have the grit and will it will require to be an MD. Complete different levels of ambition.

That's rather ignorant to assume that people in non-MD healthcare professions are MD-wannables

That's rather ignorant to assume that people in non-MD healthcare professions are MD-wannables

It is a realistic assessment, not an ignorant one.

Optometry school is challenging. However it is only 4 years, 5 at most with residency.

The intensity of work during residency are on completely different levels.

Reactions: 1 users
Length of schooling is one of many perfectly logical factors to consider when comparing career paths. Maybe you see "grit" as the desire or ability to endure school for longer, but Simba699 was equating the OP's satisfaction with Optometry as an indicator that he/she would not be able to complete medical school, which does come across as ignorant, since interest in one profession does not necessarily indicate a lack of "grit" for another. However, Optometry does lend itself to having time for family and hobbies, assuming you don't start your own practice cold.

I disagree with a previous post about 100-110k being a good salary for 200k in student loans. It's certainly doable, but you need to seriously consider return on investment when choosing Optometry. Consider that you take home less than two thirds that number, and your student loans only continue to snowball over time.

Reactions: 4 users