Canadian students financing American OD education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

canadianpreOD

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!
I am a Canadian student who will be attending NECO in the fall, but am struggling with coming up with the financial resources to cover the hefty tuition. From what I calculated, 4 years at NECO will run me ~$320 000 CAD and the maximum bank loan that I can get through a Canadian bank has been $125 000 CAD. Now I personally do not just have that amount of money hanging out in my savings to cover the rest, so I am wondering how other Canadian OD students (or soon to be OD students) have found resources to fund their education?

An OD that I work with (Canadian) went to NECO and graduated 15ish years ago, and said she was able to get a full loan through the state of Massachusetts...but I haven't been able to find any info on an option like that.

My alternative is to defer for a year and work a ton to save more, but evidently there is a way for Canadians to finance American OD programs because there are quite a few Canadian students in the US from what I can tell...so I am hoping to be able to find ways to figure this out!

Any insight is greatly appreciated 🙂