OD vs MD

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by Robin des Bois, 09.23.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Robin des Bois

Robin des Bois 2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    So I was thinking about this recently. I dunno which degree should I chose, OD (Optometry) or MD (Medicine). I personally like to diagnose and treat eye and visual problems, but I hate surgery. I also have a general interest in the human body, and wouldn't like to focus my practice on only one part of the body (except when it comes to eyes). I also like to have a general knowledge of the human anatomophysiopathology. This should probably lead me to optometry. However, as an MD, you earn more, you and your education are more respected, you can help people more with physical (but not ocular) problems, you don't need to beg the board of an other profession each time a new procedure comes, you can do all what your competences allow you to do, you can help some people who need to renew their prescription when they can't see their MD, and your profession is not saturated (atleast for FM). However, MD's biggest con for me is that if I want to deal with eyes, I will have to do ophthalmology, which requires me to do surgeries. FPs can't do much with eyes.

What do you think?

PS: I am in Canada, so the OD market here is different.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. KHE

KHE Senior Member SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Verified
    Optometrist
    Yea, that's pretty much it. Guess you have a choice to make.

4. torontopharm

torontopharm 5+ Year Member

Last edited: 06.29.16
  5. Robin des Bois

Pre-Optometry
    I will have to ask about it.

6. Rain Clouds

Rain Clouds 2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Are you planning to stay in Canada? From what I've heard about the scope of Canadian optometry, I'm really not sure I'd even want to practice up there.

I think, though, that MD is a very broad category. Maybe go exploring different specialties of medicine, and see what you come up with.

7. Robin des Bois

Pre-Optometry
    Yes, I am planning to stay here. Optometric scope of practice is more limited than in the US. I like eyes, but I hate surgery, that's why I don't want to become an OMD. Also, if I get into med school, I will most likely do FM, but I never saw FPs doing much about eyes, least prescribing glasses and giving visual aids.

8. Snakedoctor1

Snakedoctor1 2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Who is it that you are looking to gain respect from? MDs? Family? The lay public? This comes up pretty frequently on these forums, and I'm curious to know what pull this has for you.

9. Robin des Bois

Pre-Optometry
    Mostly from MDs, whom many of view ODs as nothing but some advanced technicians.

10. Snakedoctor1

Optometry Student
    Why do you care about what MDs think?

11. Robin des Bois

Pre-Optometry
    Because when you want to add new procedures to the list of your authorized activities, you need their approval.

12. Snakedoctor1

Optometry Student
    For some, it boils down to a self-perception issue. For those individuals, MD may be the more satisfying route. There are members of this forum who fall into that category, and wish they had gone to med school. I would guess that most ODs care very little about what the nearby FP thinks of them.

Respected or not, Optometry has a pretty good track record.

13. Robin des Bois

Pre-Optometry
    It does, and I had a good experience with them. I just hate having some MDs trying to confine my profession to less of what I am competent with (like how in the past, OMDs wanted ODs to be confined to refraction).
    BTW, opticians in some jurisdictions want to do refraction...

14. Snakedoctor1

Optometry Student
    So do PAs. The terf battles are an unfortunate aspect of the eye care world (Although it happens in other professions as well). OMDs will always fight the expansion of Optometry, and may or may not be successful. So far they haven't been. Although I'm not an advocate of pushing Optometry into the surgical world, history says Optometry will keep growing.

In my opinion, the soaring cost of tuition and opening of new schools is a bigger threat.

15. OptomStudent2018

OptomStudent2018

Optometry Student
    http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/labourmarket/ojf/pdf/3121_e.pdf

Head over to that link for salary and occupation related information compiled by Canada.

Tuition at the University of Waterloo, it is around $16,000/year for first 3 years and the last year is $20,000. I am sure you can pay back loans in a year or less with a full-time position.

As for myself, I could care less what a MD would think of me. All I really care about is the patient and how well they are being treated. Arrogance isn't needed in the field of public health.

About the ads