Step I odd question - taking step 1 again for licensure purposes

Started by decal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

decal

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I am facing an obnoxious issue regarding medical licensure. I am in the one of the states with a time limit how long you can go between Step 1 and 3 which currently restricts me getting a license. My current plan is to apply and receive an out-of-state license, and take my board exam next year. This will then extend my time limit so I can get an in-state license. However, it will keep me from practicing in-state for a long time.

My history of USMLEs looks like this:
2009 - Step 1, 260s
2015/2016 - Step 2, 255s, passed CS
2020 - Step 3, 240s

One idea that occurred to me is that I could take Step 1 again. If I passed it the next few months, I would be eligible for a in-state license (all three examinations completed within 7 years). Obviously this would suck and be a big expenditure, but it would get practicing much earlier.

Curious as to others' thoughts, mostly about how feasible it would be for me to take and pass Step 1 again in a short period of time. Anyone with similar experiences?