Ode to the Destroyer kicking my ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm just wanting to complain, because frankly, misery loves company. :D

I'm going through Destroyer right now and it's pretty much kicking my ass in GChem and Orgo and making me feel not prepared for the DAT that I take in 1 month from now. What's the best way to overcome this obstacle?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry. First time I tried Destroyer, I felt bad too. Are you doing anything else to prep? Maybe try watching Chad's videos. Those helped me. I did the DAT Destroyer problems in groups of about 50 then checked my answers and read over the explanation. I marked the ones I got wrong and tried to figure out what area I needed more help in. I know a month doesn't seem like enough time to improve, but it is if you really put the effort in.

leave the Destroyer alone for now. Read all of your class notes from Orgo and make a list of all the reactions you know. Review, review, review! Understand the material and then do the Destroyer. Only then will it help you fine tune your Orgo knowledge....i think the Orgo destroyer section is for people who are already good at orgo and just want to master the hell out of it.

I feel you.
I'm pretty much getting every single question wrong in the gen chem section.
idk what to do. i watched chad's videos and i feel like it didnt prepare me at all for destroyer. i took notes on how he did some calculations and the formulas he used and they didnt work for me at all in destroyer.
i'm getting super frustrated :(
especially since my dat is in 10 days. fml

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you.
I'm pretty much getting every single question wrong in the gen chem section.
idk what to do. i watched chad's videos and i feel like it didnt prepare me at all for destroyer. i took notes on how he did some calculations and the formulas he used and they didnt work for me at all in destroyer.
i'm getting super frustrated :(
especially since my dat is in 10 days. fml

I'm with you on that, but what I did was organize questions according to topic and used chads review notes re read and then answer those questions it'll get easier. Keep going!

for orgo i was getting 50-53% right through the first half then i stopped and made flash cards of the reactions from the road maps and the 2nd half i got 80% right....those road maps are huge, i didn't even review them just making the flash cards helps from the get go...as for chem idk i was getting 78-80% right throughout, but they say destroyer is harder than actual dat so just understand every explanation in that book and ur golden. :D

It's like I forgot how to do everything lmao even though I watched Chad's videos, took notes, and and read through KBB.

I think what I'm going to do is watch Chad's orgo videos again and go through KBB orgo again too by this Sunday. I'll take a break now...and after dinner I'll begin studying again.

Wow...lol. This is stressful, but I know it will be okay. Thank you everyone for your support. It means more to me than you know. (or perhaps you do know!) :laugh:

It's like I forgot how to do everything lmao even though I watched Chad's videos, took notes, and and read through KBB.

lol that's exactly how it is for me too..
i just resolved to rewatch all the chem vids and hopefully i'll get a better grasp of everything by next week..

when are you taking the test?

i feel your'alz pain. Destroyer, esp for orgo is killer. I take my test in 2.5 weeks and i think im gonna reschedule.
the kicker is, the more time that passes, the less motivated i become and the more stuff i start to forget.
are you guys on the same page too?

i feel your'alz pain. Destroyer, esp for orgo is killer. I take my test in 2.5 weeks and i think im gonna reschedule.
the kicker is, the more time that passes, the less motivated i become and the more stuff i start to forget.

I am.

Scheduled for 10 contemplating on rescheduling to 23.

Blah.

I had a melt down today lol...I was just so mad at everything because I'm so sick of studying and Gen Chem calculations aren't clicking...but just have to keep my head up and charge on - I've already rescheduled once, so just have to concentrate the next 2 weeks

sameeeeee page as u mashinka, we just gotta keep strong...mb take a day off to regroup then get back at it FULL FORCE :D

I had a melt down today lol...I was just so mad at everything because I'm so sick of studying and Gen Chem calculations aren't clicking...but just have to keep my head up and charge on - I've already rescheduled once, so just have to concentrate the next 2 weeks
same here man, idk what it is abt today lol...God help us all haha

The first time I went through destroyer I think I got about 60% right. If it was easy, it wouldn't be worth the money. Just do all the problems, and go back over what you get wrong each time.

for orgo i was getting 50-53% right through the first half then i stopped and made flash cards of the reactions from the road maps and the 2nd half i got 80% right....those road maps are huge, i didn't even review them just making the flash cards helps from the get go...as for chem idk i was getting 78-80% right throughout, but they say destroyer is harder than actual dat so just understand every explanation in that book and ur golden. :D

What are these road maps you speak of?

I am really relieved that it is not just me. After going over KBB 2 times and Cliffs Bio 2 times as well as my friend's MCAT Kaplan gen chem and ochem review books, I was beginning to think that I was just dumb and completely incapable of conquering the DAT. Between destroyer and achiever, I pretty much want to bang my head against a wall because I can only get like half of the questions right...

I am really relieved that it is not just me. After going over KBB 2 times and Cliffs Bio 2 times as well as my friend's MCAT Kaplan gen chem and ochem review books, I was beginning to think that I was just dumb and completely incapable of conquering the DAT. Between destroyer and achiever, I pretty much want to bang my head against a wall because I can only get like half of the questions right...

mmm...I hit that point today...then proceeded to stare at the TV for an hour watching the history channel to soothe the pain.

What are these road maps you speak of?

theyre a condensed guide to all reactions u need to know for dat. u can find them in the solutions for organic chem in dat destroyer....i believe at solution #157 in the 2010 edition. enjoy :D